So far I have gotten the battery door covered.

I'll work on the front of the phone probably later tonight when I'm able to take it apart without anyone calling me.

For anyone who didn't read my previous thread asking about this. I went and picked up some automotive vinyl decal and am attempting to cover my phone. So far it's working well.

07-21-08 03:58 PM
    Wow! That looks great!!!!! I can't wait to see the front...
    07-21-08 04:08 PM
    I'm debating whether I should cut out that shiny square under the camera.

Should I? Does it serve any purpose?
    07-21-08 04:26 PM
    It works as a mirror for when you take a pic of yourself. I'd only cut it out if you use it. But it might be a nice contrast against the purple though. You should post some directions on how you did it. I'm sure others will want to try!!
    07-21-08 04:27 PM
    wow that looks gorgeous love the purple keep us posted on the final results
    07-21-08 05:04 PM
    Looks like you're doing a great job. What tool are you using to apply that?
    07-21-08 05:05 PM
    I think you did a great job........looks awesome.........
    07-21-08 05:07 PM
    It works as a mirror for when you take a pic of yourself. I'd only cut it out if you use it. But it might be a nice contrast against the purple though. You should post some directions on how you did it. I'm sure others will want to try!!

It's really pretty easy.

Make sure you wash your hands well to rid them of any oil or dirt. First clean the part with alcohol, then cut a piece of vinyl decal a little bigger than the part.

Pick your starting point and start laying it on the phone being careful to remove any air bubbles. If you do happen to get an air bubble that you can't remove use an exacto knife to poke a small hole and press out. I use a credit card to smooth mine out.

When it comes to curves and corners you will need to heat up the vinyl with a blow dryer to shape it.

When you have it completely pressed into placed it's time to work on cutting the excess off. I actually took mine and wrapped it over the edge so that it would be less likely to peel up. Not all the way over to the inside but just over the side.

Take an exacto (hobby) knife (must be a new and very sharp blade) and start trimming off the excess getting as close as possible to the edge of the part as possible. Do the same to any openings you need to cut out. Although with the openings I didn't wrap the vinyl around the side. I just cut it off flush with the opening.

Doing the mirror part is a bit more tricky and takes a very steady hand and a lot of patience. Find the outline and slowly follow it around with the knife. After cutting it use the point of the knife to carefully lift it up. I don't recommend this step as it can be difficult and if not done carefully you will cut/scratch the mirror part.

After all is said and done take the blow dryer (on the lowest setting) and lightly heat it up to make sure it all stays put.

Also if you are taking the vinyl over the sides the fit of the bettery door will be a little tight but it is do-able.
    07-21-08 05:31 PM
    Looks like a professional job. I'm anxious to see the entire finished BB!
    07-21-08 06:04 PM

For anyone who didn't read my previous thread asking about this. I went and picked up some automotive vinyl decal and am attempting to cover my phone. So far it's working well.
    looks great!

where did you find this automotive deacal?

any links would be great!

07-21-08 06:12 PM
    and again,

purpleberry is gonna be pi$$ed
    07-21-08 06:13 PM
    I don't even like purple and I love this!

You should definitely cut out the shiny mirror-like part on the back, though..... That way it looks like a reeeaaal custom Berry! Post pics when done!! Awesome job!!
    07-21-08 06:14 PM

You should definitely cut out the shiny mirror-like part on the back, though..... That way it looks like a reeeaaal custom Berry! Post pics when done!! Awesome job!!
    I agree with cutting out the mirror like part too....actually the whole metal part around the camera lens, flash and mirror...where you can see the indented line.
    07-21-08 06:17 PM
    Looks like you're doing a great job. What tool are you using to apply that?

Just a credit card to smooth it out and an exacto (hobby) knife.

benzworm:

looks great!

where did you find this automotive deacal?

any links would be great!

At any place that make novelty license plates. I got mine from a friend who owns a detail shop.

benzworm:

and again,

purpleberry is gonna be pi$$ed

Uh oh! Why??
    07-21-08 07:37 PM
    That is a great job. Can't wait to see how the rest comes
    out. Any idea on the cost of the vinyl?
    07-21-08 07:39 PM

I did finally cut it out. It didn't come out perfect but good enough that i don't think anyone would ever notice.

Thank you all for the compliments. I'll get pics up once I'm done with it.
    Last edited by bettyn100; 07-21-08 at 07:44 PM.
    07-21-08 07:40 PM
    That is a great job. Can't wait to see how the rest comes
    out. Any idea on the cost of the vinyl?

No, I can't figure it would cost that much. Maybe $10 or less depending on how much you want.

The friend I got mine from just gave me an 8 x 24 inch piece. But I'm positive that a 5x6 inch piece would work too if you have no mess ups.

Edited to add: Oops scratch that. not a 5x6 piece. I don't know where my mind is today. An 8x10 inch piece!!!
    Last edited by bettyn100; 07-21-08 at 07:56 PM.
    07-21-08 07:44 PM
    I do stuff with Vinyl quite often at work and I gotta say that looks terrific!! looks like you are doing a smashing job.

Now the real test is going to be all those pesky little buttons on the frontside =)
    07-21-08 07:49 PM
    ya

good luck with that exacto knife
    07-21-08 07:59 PM
    ya

good luck with that exacto knife

Ummmm why?
    07-21-08 08:07 PM
    Ummmm why?
    its just gonna be kinda time consuming, cutting all the holes for the keypad
    07-21-08 08:11 PM
    its just gonna be kinda time consuming, cutting all the holes for the keypad

Not really, but then I have nothing better to do tonight anyway. LOL
    07-21-08 08:12 PM
    Wow that looks great!! Good job! Cant wait to see the end product!
    07-21-08 08:20 PM
    That looks so good! I have been dreaming of an all white Berry since I got it (I am actually debating gettng a refurb 5th Gen iPod in White even though I have a silver 6th Gen Classic because I adore the white)...and if this turns out I may just get some white vinyl.
    07-21-08 08:22 PM
    Not really, but then I have nothing better to do tonight anyway. LOL
    i wanna try this so bad now!
    07-21-08 08:45 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD