I like the Epic. I would consider it, but we do not have 4G coverage anywhere. The only place in the whole state that does is a town on the opposite side of the state.

Will they still attempt to tack on the $10 charge? I can't see how they can charge for a service they cannot deliver.

I do not want the coverage or the charge. We have one of the Everything Family plans.
    10-11-10 08:09 AM
    Short answer...you're screwed. Sprint claims it's an "enhanced data fee" or something like that because of your "richer data experience." They still maintain that it is not a 4G fee per-se.

This is exactly why I don't want the new BlackBerries to have 4G.
    10-11-10 08:15 AM
    Basically no. In their terms since you getting a beefed up smart phone you will use alot more data then before. whether its 3g or 4g its a premium charge for the device . not for 4g.
    10-11-10 10:42 AM
    Basically no. In their terms since you getting a beefed up smart phone you will use alot more data then before. whether its 3g or 4g its a premium charge for the device . not for 4g.
    I think some state attorney generals need to get involved under their consumer protection laws.

People get invested heavily with multiple phones on their so called "Everything" plans. Now they tell us that it is not really "everything." Even capping at 5Gb is kind of sneaky. But having to pay to use the bandwidth you already have is ridiculous.
    10-11-10 10:46 AM
    Still cheaper than all the rest.... I have researched what VZ will charge for what I have and it exceeds 150 bucks more.. So I am happy with that. If you want they can just inrease everyones plan to 'make it fair' and then no one will complain. Government cannot do jack.. they have freedom to charge whatever.. Even a 5 GB cap is not sneaky when most is at 1-2GB... People need to understand that fairness works both ways.. Sprints plans are super fair compared to the rest *as I see it*
    10-11-10 11:11 AM
    What ozshadow is saying is that Sprint should rename the plan to "Simply Almost Everything Plan" to be closer to the truth.

I'm not fond of the $10 upcharge either. If you're on an Everything Plan, then there should be no additional charges.
    10-11-10 12:08 PM
    If you think it's a coincidence that all the 4g phones have the $10 fee, then maybe...

But I think most people would wager you're wrong if you think that.
    10-11-10 12:38 PM
    I think some state attorney generals need to get involved under their consumer protection laws.

People get invested heavily with multiple phones on their so called "Everything" plans. Now they tell us that it is not really "everything." Even capping at 5Gb is kind of sneaky. But having to pay to use the bandwidth you already have is ridiculous.
    every other carrier is capped at 5 GB some are starting to cap at 1 Gb & 2 GB tell that to AT&T... most companies charge you $20-30 more to have a data pack...
    10-11-10 05:24 PM
    I am in a 4G network, and even with occasionally tethering devices, I've been surprised that I still don't touch the usage I metered with an 3G iPhone on AT&T.
    10-11-10 09:47 PM

Why? How many other cell providers are there? There's always going somewhere else.

Oh, and there is no 5 gig cap with the 4G "premium charge", which again as it's been said, isn't for the 4G service. I also have a 3G/4G hotspot with Sprint too, and I don't get charged a $10 fee. I do have a 5GB cap on 3G, but am not metered for the 4G network usage.
    10-11-10 09:50 PM
    I'm not fond of the $10 upcharge either. If you're on an Everything Plan, then there should be no additional charges.
    What a nightmare that would be for billing purposes. It is a mobile device, you know. It does have the ability to move around in other networks, be it 4G or 1xRTT.
    10-11-10 09:53 PM
    The $10 Premium Data Charge is so that you will not be capped on your data services. ATT, Verizon etc, cap you off at 5GB. Sprint doesn't, but they do charge you $10 for not capping you data charges off.
    10-12-10 02:37 PM
    Yet it only applies to certain phones that happen to have 4g... and it's mandatory...

If it was simply a way to uncap your data then why shouldn't every phone have it and it should be optional (since most users will not exceed 5gb).
    10-12-10 02:40 PM
    I am in a 4G network, and even with occasionally tethering devices, I've been surprised that I still don't touch the usage I metered with an 3G iPhone on AT&T.
    then you sire are a waste of data network gimme that lol.. Since switching from a BB my usage double / tripled in usage..
    10-12-10 08:23 PM
    then you sire are a waste of data network gimme that lol.. Since switching from a BB my usage double / tripled in usage..
    oh i've definitely used a lot more than I did with a BB too just not as much as with an iPhone.
    10-12-10 08:27 PM
    oh i've definitely used a lot more than I did with a BB too just not as much as with an iPhone.
    they are too busy downloading fart jokes
    10-12-10 08:35 PM
    If that is the case then why don't they charge you this extra $10 if you get a Samsung Transform or any other Android phone that's not 4G?
    10-13-10 05:15 AM
    If that is the case then why don't they charge you this extra $10 if you get a Samsung Transform or any other Android phone that's not 4G?
    You're question doesn't make any sense, in response to him. The Transform is not a beefier phone, nor is it 4G.
    10-13-10 08:11 AM

And when you click 'accept' or sign your contract, all the fine print is there telling you what isn't included and what is.
    By your claim, they should included everything known to man, since it's a simply everything plan.

Good Luck with your AG.
    10-13-10 08:16 AM
    You're question doesn't make any sense, in response to him. The Transform is not a beefier phone, nor is it 4G.
    Because it really isn't.. give me a omap processor or hummingbird processor , ill even take a snapdragon..
    10-13-10 09:33 AM
    I've never used either phone (and probably never will) so I really don't know the difference between them. If using an Epic on 3G (just to make the comparison fair) just what kinds of things could I do with it which would justify the "richer data experience" $10/month fee which I couldn't do with the Transform?
    10-14-10 05:13 AM
    Sprint are free to charge whatever they like for whatever they like and call it whatever they like... and, as long as this is not forced onto a current contract you cannot do anything about it...and neither would any AG ..its called "capitalism" and "market forces"

So at the end of the day does any of this discussion really matter?.. if you dont like the terms and conditions of sprint, simply move to a different carrier..
    10-14-10 06:52 AM
    I've never used either phone (and probably never will) so I really don't know the difference between them. If using an Epic on 3G (just to make the comparison fair) just what kinds of things could I do with it which would justify the "richer data experience" $10/month fee which I couldn't do with the Transform?
    in theory, with a faster processor, bigger screen, etc. than other phones, you'll be more likely to stream more multimedia content, or use more web traffic with the full browsing experience. The Transform I guess is geared more toward email/messaging/social network communication, etc. I guess.
    10-14-10 12:10 PM
    Sprint are free to charge whatever they like for whatever they like and call it whatever they like... and, as long as this is not forced onto a current contract you cannot do anything about it...and neither would any AG ..its called "capitalism" and "market forces"

So at the end of the day does any of this discussion really matter?.. if you dont like the terms and conditions of sprint, simply move to a different carrier..
    Well said.
    10-14-10 12:11 PM

And you would be very incorrect. Practically every state has a variety of consumer protection statutes that prohibit unfair or deceptive trade practices.

Sprint and their agents have regularly advertised the Simply Everything data plans as having unlimited data and text. If they are actually capping the data at 5Gb and advertising it as unlimited, that is deceptive advertising. The standard to be proven can be quite low in many cases.

If someone in a 3G only area upgrades to a new 4G phone and gets charged a $10 premium data fee, what are they getting?
    10-14-10 05:23 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD