the lock key on top of my phone, right next to the audio toggle button isn't really working well...it usually clicks...but now u just have to press it hard...no feedback, and it's really annoying...how should i fix this...if not is there a way i can lock and unlock my phone without using that shortcut?
    Last edited by dp6194; 10-13-10 at 07:43 PM.
    10-10-10 03:55 PM
    Try a battery pull may help this problem. Pressing * will lock the keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 04:42 PM
    Battery pull wouldn't solve a hardware issue....

Under the black plastic ear piece with the blackberry logo, there are clear rubber nubs which are in place to make contact with the two buttons to lock and mute your phone. These nubs aren't securely attached, so they tend to slide around after repeated use. Gently pry off the top piece (search YouTube for '9630/9650 disassembly' video), then pull off both of the nubs and secure them in place using a tiny amount of super glue. Be sure to glue them over the parts of the plastic which are silver. You'll see what I'm walking about. This solves the problem fantastically. You may want to take a second to clear any of the dust and debris that may have accumulated there, if you don't have compressed air a toothbrush works fine too.
    10-10-10 08:18 PM
    thanks for the information, but definitely not prying anything off hahaha...
    is it possible to just go get it replaced? i read a thread about where it's usually like that, and i thought i was just buggin out, but i checked my friend's 9650, and it had a nice click to it...
    i have to press so hard, and the only feedback i get is the screen turning black or turning on...i usually don't care, but it's actually really annoying..

what can i do? except fixing it by myself
    10-10-10 11:19 PM
    okay...about like the 4-5th day through this and i feel as if it's getting worse...
    it's really annoying pressing it 2-3 times to get it unlocked and locked...
    i have insurance on my phone, and it's only been like 3-4 months since i got it, and blackberry/verizon would replace it for me if i go to the verizon store right?
    isn't it considered a manufacturing disfunction? i can't live another MONTH with it like this...and i'm pretty sure it's just gonna break in a few weeks anyways if i don't get it fixed or get it replaces..
    10-13-10 07:45 PM
    My lock key all of a sudden stopped clicking as well (the mute button still clicks). I can lock the phone, but I have to press a little harder.

As suggested, I watched a few videos on disassembling the device. I'm nervous, however, to try to pry off the top cover. For anyone who has disassembled their device, how fragile are the connectors on the top cover? Also, do I need to remove the screws behind the battery cover if all I want to remove is the top cover? Do those screws somehow looses the entire housing?

I really want to get this fixed, as it's a bit annoying. I don't to screw up my phone, though.

Thanks!
    10-25-10 08:08 PM
    Lol, did not know there were buttons up top! Learn something every day

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-10 11:00 AM
    Mine never really clicked all that much then I played with a friends 9700 and their lock key actually "clicked" like a button. I want that..
    10-26-10 12:48 PM
    Get it replaced, do it yourself.

google "sw box" and go get that part, its so easy
    10-26-10 01:17 PM
    I was going at it for like an hour but i figured out how to fix it without taking it apart, all i did was lift up the lock key up until i could see the adhesive thing and i just pushed it down a little with a pin. I hope that helps.
    11-06-10 07:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD