You would think that after all this time Blackberry would have a decent ebook reader like all the other platforms.
    Stanza for Iphone, Aldiko for Android, Preader for WebOS.
    I know there is Mobipocket but its mobipocket format only and it has not been updated in several years. Im talking about a nice .epub reader that is fully customizable maybe some coverflow. Something that I can put my own books that I have already, unlike Barnes & Noble reader where you can only purchase the books you read on it.
    I can't be the only one that feels this way, am I?
    10-09-10 08:43 AM
    While also proprietary, Kindle is also available for the BB.
    10-09-10 10:47 AM
    While also proprietary, Kindle is also available for the BB.
    The Kindle reader works flawlessly on my Torch and offers the advantage of syncing with my Kindle so it know where I left off reading.
    10-09-10 11:18 AM
    I have to say the options for BlackBerry are good.

MobiPocket works well with .mobi and .prc formats. Plus, it has dictionary capabilities. It will read annotations made from PC if you are syncing between devices. Lots of sites besides MobiPocket have ebooks available in Mobi format, including fictionwise.com, feedbooks.com, manybooks.net. You can even connect to several ebook stores within the app and download ebooks from them.

The Kindle app works very well, plus will sync with any other devices that you use the Kindle app on (including Kindle). So if you have a Kindle, you can stop reading, sync with Amazon, then when you open the app on your BlackBerry, it will open to the same spot you left off. I just wish it had dictionary capabilities.

There are two ereaders apps. One is available through Barnes & Noble, and the other is available through ereader.com. They are basically the same app, but the B&N version seems to want to work mainly with B&N ebooks. the generic version seems to work well with other sites (including fictionwise.com). B&N actually purchased ereader.com (and fictionwise) and ported it over for their own version.

There is also the Kobo Reader, which is through Borders. I haven't played with that one much, but it is supposed to be ePub-based. I don't have a lot of ePub ebooks, so I dont' tend to need this app. But, if you have a lot of ePub, it might be worth looking at.

Pretty much all of the major formats have an ebook reader.
    10-09-10 12:19 PM
    I agree that mobipocket is great. Yeah, it hasn't been updated much, but it works great for me.
    Plus, all the books on project gutenberg come in .mobi format, which mobipocket reads.
    10-09-10 02:20 PM
    Mobipocket will also import ePubs and PDFs and convert them for use. I think it's a great program!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 10:48 PM
    I believe the Playbook is coming with Kobo.
    02-03-11 02:15 PM
    i'm using the kindle app on my torch and i haven't encountered any problems..
    it works flawlessly..
    i also have the kindle 3 and a macbook Pro so my e-reading usually switches from one platform to the other
    02-03-11 02:16 PM
    There is also a desktop app called Calibre. It will help manage your ebook library and can convert pretty much any (non-DRM) ebook format to another. That way, you can read through your favorite ebook program.
    02-04-11 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD