This guide is meant for those who are not too familiar with linux but want to try it.

Here is an older thread with a different method: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=114019 I haven't tried it. This thread is for if you don't have internet access to get the appropriate software. The idea is that you just need an Ubuntu live cd and a usb stick with the other software to install. I hope someone finds this useful.

You will need an Ubuntu 9.04 live disk (Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu)

I used Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jakelope) because 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) ran a little slow on my computer. Ya, linux Operating systems always have funny names!

There are many other download sites for various Ubuntu versions:

Alternative downloads | Ubuntu

The file name is: ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

It is a cd image and must be burned onto a cd properly. Use Nero Express and choose "image burn". There are many other burning rom tools that will work. I have heard of ImgBurn working well and is free.

Then you will need to download some linux package files, these are roughly equivalent to a zipped installer file.

Barry (the linux program for connecting to a blackberry):

Info: Barry | Net Direct Inc.

Downloads: Browse Barry Files on SourceForge.net

I downloaded all Ubuntu 9.04 Barry packages (9 packages):

libbarry0_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    libbarry0-dbg_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    libbarry-dev_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    barrybackup-gui_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    barrybackup-gui-dbg_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    barry-util_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    barry-util-dbg_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    opensync-plugin-barry_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb
    opensync-plugin-barry-dbg_0.16-0_ubuntu904_i386.deb

Then there were a few (7) other packages to download that barry depends on and are not included in the Ubuntu distribution:

libusb-0.1-4_0.1.12-16_i386.deb
    libusb-dev_0.1.12-16_i386.deb
    libtar_1.2.11-5_i386.deb
    libglademm-2.4-1c2a_2.6.7-2_i386.deb
    libboost-serialization1.34.1_1.34.1-15ubuntu3_i386.deb
    libopensync0_0.22-2_i386.deb
    libatk1.0-0_1.30.0-1_i386.deb

These packages are available from: Debian -- Packages or just do a google search for "<packagename> debian download" and it is usually in the first 3 google hits.

For example: libglademm-2.4-1c2a_2.6.7-2_i386.deb, the packane name is "libglademm-2.4-1c2a". I needed the i386 version, which you have to choose for each package downloaded.

Put these 16 *.deb package files onto a usb drive.

Ok, now for the fun part.

1. Put the Ubuntu Image CD into your CD drive.

2. Shut down or restart your computer.

3. Upon rebooting, get into the boot menu. I had to hold F12 for a second or so on the Dell splash screen. Some systems use F10 or F8, so you might have to see what your computer requires.

4. Select to boot from the CD drive that has the Ubuntu CD in it.

5. It will flash some command line looking code and then your screen may do some funny things, but soon afterward you should get an option to choose a language and then to boot Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer. Choose that option (usually the first one) so that we can try Ubuntu out.

6. It can take a while to load depending on your computer. The whole process on mine takes about 5 minutes. But it will open up a Windows like gui operating system.

7. Insert your USB stick and click "places" and then the name of your stick... usually something like "USB drive 2GB" or "2GB Media" will show up in the menu. Or Ubuntu may automatically mount your disk and show it on the desktop. If your desktop is blank with no icons, it probably means that you don't have enough memory for this. You can still do it by command line probably, but that is much more complicated... well not really but it takes more time for us GUI addicts.

Now we want to install Barry since we have Ubuntu up and running. We will start installing the *.deb package files. To do this you just doubleclick them and the package loader opens up. Just follow its prompts, it should be fairly clear.

You should copy the packages to the desktop before you install them, or you may get an error "file not found" or something. Install the packages in this order (to get all the dependencies right):

1a. libbarry0
    1b. libbarry0-dbg
    2a. libusb-0.1-4
    2b. libusb-dev
    2c. libbarry-dev
    3a. libtar
    3b. libglademm-2.4-1c2a
    3c. barrybackup-gui
    3d. barrybackup-gui-dbg
    4a. libboost-serialization1.34.1
    4b. barry-util
    4c. barry-util-dbg
    5a. libopensync0
    5b. opensync-plugin-barry
    5c. opensync-plugin-barry-dbg
    6. libatk1.0-0 (not sure if this one is required)

I ordered them according to how the Barry packages depend on the others. FOr some it might way "an older version is available in the software channel"... well, that's nice and all, but we don't have internet... so we can't access the software channel! Some of these packages might not be required... but I just installed the full Barry suite and it worked, so I don't wanna test every possible combo...

Now that all the packages are installed we can connect our blackberry via usb. When I did so, I did not get the lightning bolt over my battery bar to note that it is charging, but I think it was still charging.

Go to Applications > Accesories > Terminal

Command instructions:
    1. At the command prompt type:
    Code:
    sudo su
    2. Then press enter.

This puts us at the root level (which can be dangerous, it is like "ultra administrator"). It will change the command prompt apearance to have the word "root" in it.

3. Type at the command prompt:
    Code:
    pppd call barry-<you carrier>
    For example mine was:
    Code:
    pppd call barry-verizon
    At this point your phone should connect like normal. Ubuntu won't display any notifications that it is connected. Also in order for it to work all other network connections have to be disabled/disconnected. Sometimes it takes a while for it to connect, just be patient. My speeds are much faster through Ubuntu. Using speedtest.net I normally get 1.5Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up, with Ubuntu I was getting about a 50% increase, sometimes doubling my speed almost!

If it isn't working, click on the terminal and hit "control-c" and then wait for it to disconnect. Also disconnect your phone and maybe reboot it. Then connect it back and try to connect again through the command line instructions. You always have to "call" from root because the folders where the Barry data is are locked.

As mentioned above, press "control-c" in the terminal to disconnect. If you want to reconnect, you have to unplug your blackberry and then plug it back into the usb cable.

Have fun!
    10-09-10 05:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD