I am switching to the 9700 after being told by a Rogers rep that they have no idea when I would receive a replacement 9000 due to the length of a waiting list. I'm not sure how I feel about this as I LOVE the size, weight, feel, screen, even track ball on my 9000! Many of my friends have 9700 and of course love it. Has anyone made the switch and totally regretted it?

My 9000 has had serious reception issues and now the left side button and volume button do not work! This is the only reason for the switch.
    10-07-10 10:16 PM
    I made the switch from the 9000 to the 9700 last year. Regretted it right away. I absolutely love the size and feel of the 9000. With the new(er) OS5 on the 9000, you won't miss the smaller 9700. Just my .02
    10-07-10 10:53 PM
    I switched to the 9700 for about a month. Just couldn't get over the smaller size. Its a great phone, no doubt about that, but just didn't work out for me. Give it a try, you may end up really liking it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 11:20 PM
    Been using my 9000 for about 4 months now, used a friend's 9700 for 5 minutes and immediately wanted my baby back. Just can't work with it.. feels like a toy. The 9000 is the best constructed phone I've ever seen.
    10-07-10 11:23 PM
    I downgraded from the 9700 to the 9000 AND i AM SO IN LOVE WITH THE BIG SCREEN AND LARGE KEYBOARD!

You just have to make sure you are running OS 5.0.0.771 as it is the best in terms of OS stability, reception quality, and speed.

1) Download BBSAK 1.8

2) Run BBSAK then click on WIPE DEVICE, when asked to enter a password, leave it blank incase you don't have a password on your device.

3) Wait for a few seconds till you get the confirmation that it was done.

4) Now your device has no operating system and you should see a white screen on the BB

5) Download OS 5.0.0.771

6) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

7) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

8) Delete the file named vendor.xml

9) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

10) Run loader.exe

11) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy. (Incase you were given 2 choices whether to leave the applications intact or to downgrade them to the original versions, choose the 2nd option which is to downgrade them, this will ensure you have a completely fresh installation)
    10-08-10 12:59 AM
    I have a 9000 and love it, but honestly, if you are more of a consumer and less of a corporate user, the device is probably wrong for you.

You're better off with the 9700 since you have more room for apps (not having to think before downloading an app is a big plus IMO), and you don't have to delete texts and emails as frequently.

Additionally, BB6 is coming only to the 9700-- not the 9000. The webkit browser is leaps and bounds better than the original BB one.

There are unsubstantiated rumors that a Bold-size device with a touch screen and OS6 might be introduced next year, but that seems extremely unlikely to me. I would say just stick it out w/ the 9700 and eventually you'll get used to the screen size and keyboard.
    10-08-10 04:02 AM
    OS 6 will not perform well on a 9700. If you want OS 6, get a 9780 next month to fully be able to enjoy it at decent speeds. and I am a consumer, not a corporate user. I have Google Maps always running, BBM, Browser, Berry Unit Converter, Windows Live Messenger, and memo pad running all at once and I never experience a problem. But I get a proper keyboard with a pleasant to look at screen. I am a person coming down from a 9700 as it was too small for my likes. I have never been happier to pay less for a phone that looks and feels better, and is able to do all the things I used to do with my 9700.
    10-08-10 04:05 AM
    If you had never experienced the Bold 9000, the new 9700 would be fine. You would never know what you are missing. The trouble is that your fingers have already caressed the finest keyboard ever produced for a smartphone; your eyes have gazed upon its wide screen; your hands have felt the perfectly proportioned, leather backed form, and your ears have been serenaded by the full, clear sound of those 9000 speakers.

If you really want to enjoy your new 9700, your best bet is to seek out some memory erasing drugs that will delete your 9000 experience from your limbic and cognitive systems. This way you can enjoy your new 'toy' sized phone with a clean slate. Alternatively, you have have your hands bound 'geisha' style, until such time as they shrink to accommodate the smaller keyboard. But this process will take some time and patience.

Good luck with your transition.
    10-08-10 05:14 AM
    I have both, personally bold 9000 my favourite blackberry at the moment. Still enjoying the 9700 right now.
    10-08-10 10:57 AM
    I prefer the keyboard of the 9000, but to be honest with you, it didn't take me long to get used to the keyboard of the 9700. I know a lot of people who have experienced both will tell you that the 9000 keyboard is a lot bigger, but it really isn't that much more spacious. Sure I can tell the difference, but it isn't a big enough difference that it really effects the way that I type on my phone. So I wouldn't worry about that too much. The rest of the 9700 is definitely better. So I would say keep the 9700. I prefer the 9000, but there is nothing wrong with the 9700.

10-08-10 12:53 PM
    OS 6 will not perform well on a 9700. If you want OS 6, get a 9780 next month to fully be able to enjoy it at decent speeds. and I am a consumer, not a corporate user. I have Google Maps always running, BBM, Browser, Berry Unit Converter, Windows Live Messenger, and memo pad running all at once and I never experience a problem. But I get a proper keyboard with a pleasant to look at screen. I am a person coming down from a 9700 as it was too small for my likes. I have never been happier to pay less for a phone that looks and feels better, and is able to do all the things I used to do with my 9700.
    I love how you talk as if your opinion is fact before you have used it for comparison.

You just want to convert a few others to the 9780 because you spent a bit too much of your allowance money on it and need to rationalize it.
    10-08-10 05:31 PM
    If you had never experienced the Bold 9000, the new 9700 would be fine. You would never know what you are missing. The trouble is that your fingers have already caressed the finest keyboard ever produced for a smartphone; your eyes have gazed upon its wide screen; your hands have felt the perfectly proportioned, leather backed form, and your ears have been serenaded by the full, clear sound of those 9000 speakers.

If you really want to enjoy your new 9700, your best bet is to seek out some memory erasing drugs that will delete your 9000 experience from your limbic and cognitive systems. This way you can enjoy your new 'toy' sized phone with a clean slate. Alternatively, you have have your hands bound 'geisha' style, until such time as they shrink to accommodate the smaller keyboard. But this process will take some time and patience.

Good luck with your transition.
    What Cuthbert said. Very well I might add.
    10-08-10 11:22 PM
    I love how you talk as if your opinion is fact before you have used it for comparison.

You just want to convert a few others to the 9780 because you spent a bit too much of your allowance money on it and need to rationalize it.
    What the **** are you talking about moron? I don't even have a 9780 What a fukin' moron! HAHAHAHA
    10-08-10 11:29 PM
    Wow ml, way to be a complete dbag here.

@ op
    Having owned both, the 9700 is superior in tech specs, will run os 6 fin (gtfo out ML it was shown on video at devcon), etc etc.

the only thing you might consider is the physical size of the 9000

10-09-10 02:27 AM
    What the **** are you talking about moron? I don't even have a 9780 What a fukin' moron! HAHAHAHA
    And yet, you have countless posts talking about your new 9780. Preordered or not, arrived or not, you speak as if you have a 9780 and offer endless "advice" as to why it beats everything else with no hands-on experience.

Keep your thoughts to yourself until they can be lucid, cogent, and intelligible. And preferably with hands-on experience with a product, lest you go spouting on about how your new 9780 can travel back in time and kill Hitler, find the Lindbergh baby, and reinvent the wheel.
    10-10-10 04:40 AM
    And yet, you have countless posts talking about your new 9780. Preordered or not, arrived or not, you speak as if you have a 9780 and offer endless "advice" as to why it beats everything else with no hands-on experience.

Keep your thoughts to yourself until they can be lucid, cogent, and intelligible. And preferably with hands-on experience with a product, lest you go spouting on about how your new 9780 can travel back in time and kill Hitler, find the Lindbergh baby, and reinvent the wheel.
    "Never argue with an !d!0T, he will only bring you down to his leven then beat you with it "

nuff said, kthxbye
    10-10-10 04:54 AM
    I've made the switch 6 months ago. I missed the form immediately, but the 9700 also has a good form factor. I gave my 9000 to my little sister and I sometimes find myself taking her phone to play around with.
    10-10-10 07:33 AM
    Geez, why don't you children take your fist fight to the playground and stay off these forums. i've read like 10 posts this morning that end up in opinion based arguments and so SO OFF TOPIC it's ridiculous.

Grow up!
    10-10-10 10:24 AM
    The more I read the posts here, the less I want to switch! But it seems that more and more seems to be going wrong with my 9000, and its not even a year old!
    I think I am gonna have to give the 9700 a chance, albeit a short one, before I totally give up on it. Will hang onto the 9000 for as long as possible in case I really cant go to the dark side! (or "lighter" side in this case)

Oh and one more thing...... enough of the bickering already! lol
    10-10-10 10:43 AM
    Geez, why don't you children take your fist fight to the playground and stay off these forums. i've read like 10 posts this morning that end up in opinion based arguments and so SO OFF TOPIC it's ridiculous.

Grow up!
    What the ...?
    10-10-10 11:28 AM
    I personally prefer the 9700's form, I felt the 9000 was way too big for a phone and wasn't a good fit for me. But if that's the option you are given is to get a 9700, then I'd say try it, and for more than 5 minutes, it does take a little time to get used to. Even from an 8900 to the 9700 I found it took some time. Actually hated the keyboard at first, but I love it now.
    And ML, not sure why you are telling someone that OS6 isn't going to work well on a 9700 when you haven't tried it.
    Lots of people said the same thing about OS5 on the 9000, that it wasn't going to run well, leave no app space blah blah, yet, it's done by tons of people with no issues.
    Why don't you wait until it's released for the 9700, try it, then make an opinion bout it?
    Last edited by SmakBerry; 10-10-10 at 12:37 PM.
    10-10-10 12:33 PM
    According to who?
    Who said it won't work well on the 9700?

10-10-10 12:42 PM
    "Never argue with an !d!0T, he will only bring you down to his leven then beat you with it "

nuff said, kthxbye
    I challenge you to speak like an adult for once, and postulate your stand on the matter using some sort of coherence. If you can formulate one argument, written with correct grammar and spelling, I will let it go. Until then, you're nothing more than a forum troll.

On topic:

Having used the 9000 and the 9700 (getting my replacement 9700 this week, original was stolen), I can say I prefer the 9700.

Sure, the 9000 kinda has that je ne sais quoi that's hard to replace, but the 9700 just seems to be a bit more refined and modern. I also find the trackpad way less frustrating than the trackball can be at times.
    10-10-10 10:21 PM
    @op

final word: try both, then decide. form factor vs specs, your choice.

i chose specs, and still have a 9000 sometimes to play around, but like the spec and form factor of 9700 better.

@ML
    If you can act professionally in even ONE post, then perhaps people will treat you as a teen.
    10-11-10 12:30 AM
    Well after speaking to a Rogers rep for the last week I have chosen to go with the 9700 as they are currently out of stock in the 9000 and they do not know when they will get more in. I would just be placed at the bottom of a waiting list, and I cant wait any longer. I have a gut feeling I am going to regret this decision, but will give it a fair try before making any more changes.
    Thanks for all your opinions, and I did want to stick with the original bold for the record.

I will write back with my opinions after a week or so with the new unit, if I dont crush this tiny thing in my hands first!lol
    10-15-10 10:44 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD