I have a new torch with the old OS 6.0.0.141. When I go in to do the software Updates I get a popup that says that requesting new updates has been disabled by your administrator. Just wondering if anyone has a workaround for this?

Asking the administrator is out of the question. They are way to slow to do anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    10-07-10 01:05 PM
    I have a new torch with the old OS 6.0.0.141. When I go in to do the software Updates I get a popup that says that requesting new updates has been disabled by your administrator. Just wondering if anyone has a workaround for this?

Asking the administrator is out of the question. They are way to slow to do anything.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Wow, sounds like you have a super-strict IT policy. But I see you are trying to upgrade your OS through the device -- at least that's what "Software Updates" implies, i.e., Options > Device > Software Updates. Have you tried upgrading by downloading the new OS to your PC and going through Desktop Manager (and preferably doing so not at work)?
    10-07-10 01:14 PM
    you could really **** of the Admin/IT department by wiping it with BBSAK and removing the IT Policy, upgrading and then re adding it to BES.
    10-07-10 01:24 PM
    JasW is right. I've got the same setup on my phone. I believe it only disables OTA upgrades. I have installed each leak through DM without a problem, without any help from anyone in my company.

Good luck. I'm sure you won't regret doing it.
    10-07-10 01:25 PM
    After you upgrade the OS via DM, how are you re-adding to the BES without your IT people knowing? Even if you claim you accidentally wiped it and need to re-activate, they can see what O/S was on the device and after EA they can see what O/S is currently on the device. Depending on how well they monitor they could easlly determine it was changed.

You could be risking termination, depending on your organization's policies.
    10-07-10 02:47 PM
    After you upgrade the OS via DM, how are you re-adding to the BES without your IT people knowing? Even if you claim you accidentally wiped it and need to re-activate, they can see what O/S was on the device and after EA they can see what O/S is currently on the device. Depending on how well they monitor they could easily determine it was changed.

You could be risking termination, depending on your organization's policies.
    EA wasn't a problem - I was never asked to provide the EA code after upgrading (only during my initial activation when I received the phone). It is a valid concern, but for me at least I didn't fear any sort of repercussions (other than some potential slight embarrassment!).

I haven't heard of anyone needing to re-enter an EA code during the install, and have heard of a few that had this concern, but like me found out EA wasn't requested. I would think that if it did become an issue, you could simply revert back to .141 and they would be none the wiser (they may wonder what happened to EA, but you could probably point to John Benders philosophy "It's an imperfect world; screws fall out"
    10-07-10 06:13 PM
    I was wondering this exact thing. If I do an OS upgrade, would I have to run through the enterprise activation again on the device? If I just enter my email and password that I was using prior to the upgrade will that do the trick or do I need to get my IT guys involved?
    10-07-10 06:21 PM
    I certainly don't claim to be much of an authority on this, but I can tell you I installed every leak and never had to key in any information.

Edit: Not EA, email, nor password.
    10-07-10 06:59 PM
    I certainly don't claim to be much of an authority on this, but I can tell you I installed every leak and never had to key in any information.

Edit: Not EA, email, nor password.
    So you install a leaked OS, boot your phone and the BES email account icon is there and your email is working perfectly??
    10-07-10 07:11 PM
    So you install a leaked OS, boot your phone and the BES email account icon is there and your email is working perfectly??
    Yes, every time.

If you look in the leaked OS forum, look for the Torch .246 thread. Head to the last page and follow the links in jeffreii's signature. He walks you through step-by-step.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 10-07-10 at 07:20 PM.
    10-07-10 07:13 PM
    Yes, every time.
    Awesome! Thanks very much for the input. I won't be gun shy to install new leaks.
    10-07-10 07:17 PM
    Mine always reactivated after installing a new OS without needing a new password.

As mentioned in a previous post, if you are using company equipment, you should check with your IT department first. Depending on corporate policies, modifying company equipment could be grounds for termination.
    10-07-10 07:18 PM
    Mine always reactivated after installing a new OS without needing a new password.

As mentioned in a previous post, if you are using company equipment, you should check with your IT department first. Depending on corporate policies, modifying company equipment could be grounds for termination.
    Thanks for the input. The device is mine not the companies. I was just concerned about having to deal with IT after I install an update. It's not worth the hassle to me if I do. It seems that I won't though, so that's great news.
    10-07-10 07:20 PM
    Have you tried upgrading via Application Loader? If not there's a way to disable wireless syncing through your Options menu. Just go to Options -> Device -> Advanced.. -> Enterprise Activation, scroll all the way to the bottom, hold "alt" and type CNFG. From there disable wireless syncing and Application Loader should allow you to upgrade your OS.
    You can easily re-enable Enterprise by going back through the steps above and re-enabling wireless syncing.
    Last edited by chrism583; 10-07-10 at 07:28 PM.
    10-07-10 07:24 PM
    It should upgrade without issue, but at my company, as soon as I plug in to DM on the desktop PC, it reverts back to the authorized OS. I had to live with OS 4.XX on my Curve for almost a year as each time I upgraded to OS 5.XX it would downgrade me as soon as I plugged back in at work. Fortunately ATT came out with the "official" .246 and I was able to upgrade and stay upgraded since it was "official" and I am the only one at my company that has a BB with OS 6 on it. Good Luck and the absolute worst that can happen is you will be downgraded back to .141 once you plug into work, but I highly doubt that since ATT has an authorized .246 available.
    10-07-10 09:55 PM
    kwkid, can't someone get around this by installing DM on their home computer, and not using DM on their work computer?
    10-07-10 10:14 PM
    kwkid, can't someone get around this by installing DM on their home computer, and not using DM on their work computer?
    That depends. If your company does not require you to log in your Berry at work then yes, certainly that is possible. If however you are required to log in with your Berry so a backup is created then the answer is no. At my company we are required to make a backup once a week. The only exceptions are if you are out of town on business or away on vacation or out sick. While they don't really monitor real closely, if you go more than three or four weeks, apparently some sort of flag is generated and the IT department comes looking for you to see if there is a problem. So once you log in, the IT policy takes over and if it sees you are not running an "official" OS, it reverts back to the "official" OS. In my case, ATT never released a 5.XX build for the Curve 8520 so it would revert back to the 4.xx build every time I logged into the company BES server. That prevented people from loading "leaked" or hybrid builds. From a company standpoint I can understand that. The IT department shouldn't be responsible for "fixing" a Berry that an employee loaded a leaked or hybrid OS on. In my case, I just had to suffer because ATT wouldn't release a 5.xx OS, that wasn't my fault or the companies, but I had to live with the older OS thanks to ATT. My IT department sympathized with me, but their hands were tied as there was no way to make an exception for just one phone. With my phone being the only Torch and OS 6 currently in the company, and ATT having an official .246 listed, it isn't an issue anymore. I have since upgraded the Curve 8520 to OS 5 and given it to my daughter.
    10-07-10 11:47 PM
    I have the same error, only I dont use my phone via a company, and no policies are setup, what can i do? I have a bb9900 just new bought and i cannot update my device software.
    02-17-15 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD