Daughter wants the Android OS phone. I have the option of either the Captivate or Fascinate through my corporate account. Even though AT&T plan is cheaper monthly than Verizon's. Verizon has a bigger 3G footprint than AT&T's. I have access to the Sprint network also, but no 4G service is available here yet. Nor I'm I going to hold my breath that it will be within the next year. So that's not an option now. She's currently on Verizon and we have excellant coverage. She's had the Blackberry and other 3G multimedia phones and is very responsible. I also have unlimited data and texting already invoked so I have my bases covered so I don't slit my wrists when the bill comes in every month. She rarely uses any cell time, most of her activity is data and text driven. Both phones are touch screen which her previous phones were not. Anybody see any pro's or con's with either phone. She would prefer to stay on Verizon's network as most of her friends are Verizonites and they don't burn off minutes when talking to one another.
    10-05-10 11:16 AM
    the ATT variant will give you a much purer Android OS, Verzion fills theirs will self promoted /bing/ software.

other than that the phones are both members of the Galaxy S lineup so they will be neck and neck as far as specs go.

If she is already on Big Red then i'd get their variant.
    10-05-10 11:20 AM
    I've seen a few reviews where they complained about the Verizon software. Other than that I personally think it's just a carrier preference thing myself.
    10-05-10 11:49 AM
    the ATT variant will give you a much purer Android OS, Verzion fills theirs will self promoted /bing/ software.

other than that the phones are both members of the Galaxy S lineup so they will be neck and neck as far as specs go.

Go withe the Fascinate. VZW has promised the ability to switch back to Google Search with Froyo 2.2 (though I'm not holding my breath), and droid-life.com has instructions on how to switch to Google with or without rooting the phone. And if you root it and buy Root Explorer, you can delete any of VZW Bloatware without issue, so I wouldn't let any of that affect your decision.

For me, the choice between VZW and AT&T is a no brainer: VZW all the way for the coverage. My next big choice is do I get the Fascinate (smaller SAMOLED screen, no HDMI, faster processor, and easily rooted), or the Droid X (Gi-freaking-normus beautiful screen, 8GB pre-installed storage for apps, HDMI output, but a locked bootloader and the inability to completely UNroot it). OR wait to see what 2011 brings to the table.

Decisions, decisions.....
    10-05-10 11:52 AM
    This is funny, somewhat anyway. If they were on the same network, comparing them would make more sense. Choose a network, coverage, data reliability, customer service, consider your budget, etc. If it were me, the last thing to do would be to choose a phone, then a network. 6 months from now, the phones will be dated, but the network will still be with you. Ideally, I want the fascinate form factor (the best in the sgs line up) verizon network, and the vibrant version (the least carrier modified) that won't happen, but the point of that is null, as they are variants of the same thing.
    10-05-10 12:10 PM
    Indeed. Here is the hilarious part. The world thinks the fascinate is locked to bing. Do nothing, after installing gnav, just take the search icon in the app tray and presto, native google search. Most the world thinks their stuck on bing till froyo, lol.
    I've seen a few reviews where they complained about the Verizon software. Other than that I personally think it's just a carrier preference thing myself.
    10-05-10 12:17 PM
    Indeed. Here is the hilarious part. The world thinks the fascinate is locked to bing. Do nothing, after installing gnav, just take the search icon in the app tray and presto, native google search. Most the world thinks their stuck on bing till froyo, lol.
    That's what I was referring to. I think it was Droid-Life.com, or maybe AndroidCentral, that had the instructions on how to make Google the default search engine for the Fascinate.
    10-05-10 01:19 PM
    That's what I was referring to. I think it was Droid-Life.com, or maybe AndroidCentral, that had the instructions on how to make Google the default search engine for the Fascinate.
    Android Central does, but it's hiding the native widgets and adding Google's icon to the web. it's not a actual "fix".
    10-05-10 01:25 PM
    I think this is what misleads people. I will never understand people that act like they know a phone and have never had it in their pocket, and only regurgitate websites You sir are correct, their are people that want the google text bar query widget, and when that is up, they will be happy. They prefer to enter their queries with a virtual keyboard. Android purist use the voice search icon. They never liked the text query widget, nor used it. They use google search in they way google had intended, by dictation (voice.) I have always used the voice search icon for my google for my queries sense D1, so I don't feel like the fascinate is missing anything. The Bing search tool is actually ridiculously fast and powerful, and I have fun experimenting with it, and have found it to be on par with google.

I prefer google, and after installing gmaps, their was my little google voice search icon in my app try I simply switched to my net page, and when I want to google something, I just speak, and bang, it is google queried by default.

No need to fuss with this, or that, unless one would prefer the archaic way by virtual keyboard, but that wouldn't be very android, as google would say, lol.

For all those that fall victim to believing homers saying their doughs, just move past them, drop your voice search icon on your screen and use it, google it, yeah mang. And no, it does not default to bing...it says google search, and it uses google. I have had it since day one, and have been cracking up at how many people think they have to modify, use droid life and mess with apks, wait fro froyo, you get the picture. It is more amusing to watch people that don't own the phone, spread misinformation around about it, and rather than try and correct them, just watch them folly, kinda funny Truth always surfaces sooner or later anyway...
    10-05-10 03:07 PM
    Get the Fascinate. Don't rock the boat porting over to another carrier and seeing if AT&T will fit the bill. The phone's are probably close to identical as far as your daughter is concerned. The Captivate doesn't have a camera flash and that would probably **** her off more than the whole Bing thing. She has never used Android extensively, so she probably won't notice. If she does, you can tell her to get on her own plan!
    10-05-10 03:09 PM

Except that AT&T has disabled the Captivate by preventing non-Market applications from being loaded. Sure, you can get around this by rooting your device, but only a small amount of people will do this. Or you need to use a utility to sideload your apps, but you need to connect your Captivate to a computer.

And AT&T also puts bloatware on their Android devices as well.

I vote for the Fascinate, better network.
    10-05-10 03:23 PM
    Every carrier has bloatwear that seems to be about the same amount between VZW and ATT. I am very happy with my Captivate but if you already have VZW just stick with it. It seems the Captivate has really good support right now with ROMS and other things that I just can not comment about with the Fascinate. I never visit their forum on xda.
    10-05-10 06:25 PM
    Has anyone done business with Wirefly? The phone is - 49.99. Amazon won't let you add lines to a family share account. At Let's Talk the phone is more than double in price - 199.99. Through Verizon the phone is 299.99 with a 100.00 MIR. So I ordered the phone through Wirefly. Have never done business through them. I've done upgrades and new buys through Amazon and Let's Talk. Let’s Talk is very quirky too on some upgrades as I had issues doing an AT&T upgrade last Spring!! An hour later I get an email telling me Verizon approved the additional line. They charged my credit card for the phone - 52.46. It's on the way. Great!! Another hour later I get another email to call them as they need additional information. So I call. They are telling me that T-Mobile needs more information on my account. I proceed to tell them I don't have a T-Mobile account and that I ordered the phone for the Verizon network. I grab my paperwork and it says Verizon all over it. Wirefly customer service must be farmed out as I’m getting the mid-east accent going. I'm having a hard time telling the guy not T-Mobile but Verizon. He's got everything else right but insists it’s T-Mobile. In frustration I hang up and decide to call again. This time I’m getting a different story. They tell me Verizon declined the 4th line and wants a deposit of 125.00. So I ask what’s with T-Mobile. They are offering to give you the phone for free no deposit. Hum…does T-Mobile give bigger kickbacks? I declined that offer as who the **** wants T-Mobile. I ask to speak to a supervisor. He starts in with a song and dance about my credit score. WTF are you talking about. My credit is perfect. He tells me Verizon wants the 125.00! Hum, I place him on hold and call Verizon directly. I explain the problem. They transfer me to Tele-sales and they run my credit. Within seconds they are asking me how many additional lines of service do I want. No deposit no nothing, everything is fine. Why is WireFly asking for the deposit. Verizon explains that they have different standards than Verizon does and it’s them that requires the deposit. Hum…cheap equipment costs and half a$$ service? So back on with WireFly…I proceed to tell them they are trying to screw me into handing over more money as Verizon approved me for the additional line and that I’m not doing business with them. So I ask to cancel the order and refund the 52.46 to my credit card now!! Anyone else ever had this issue with these on-line providers?
    10-06-10 09:41 AM
    i never ordered from side sellers, i always get my phones from verizon
    10-06-10 09:56 AM
    I think she perfers Verizon as she can talk to her buds without burning off cell time. They all have Verizon too. Her last phone was on AT&T and her only complaint was the mobile to mobile portion. Both carriers here have a huge footprint here and at 14 you're not going to go far without wheels and the coverage area has not been a barn burning event!! The Bing or Google search engine I'm sure will never enter into the picture. It's going to be a fancy a$$ texting gadgit vs. a business tool.
    10-06-10 10:02 AM
    WireFly just called me asking about why I cancelled the order. I told them Verizon direct approved the additional line of service and I don't understand at how you arrived at the 125.00 deposit required. He then goes into this song and dance on T-Mobile and that they would give me the phone for free and no deposit. I told him if my credit was so bad why is T-Mobile offering me a phone for free and Verizon direct approved the 4th line? Do the standards not apply across the board? In very poor English he’s speechless!! Just credit back my 52.46 please and I’ll get the phone through Verizon telesales. He proceeds to let me talk to his supervisor. Even worse English!! I asked him to explain why they charged my card the 52.46 when your website clearly says the card won’t be charged until the order is shipped. I also asked why your first email states the 4th line was approved, yet you want the 125.00 deposit. That’s not approval to me. Then the Texas two step started on the T-Mobile deal. I’m Not interested in T-Mobile, not now, not tomorrow, not ever!! Then the canned sermon starts on how sorry he is. T-Mobile must be offering bigger incentives then Verizon is? I smell a rat at WireFly.com
    10-06-10 10:45 AM
    Did a little research on WireFly.com AKA Simplexity, LLC out of Reston, VA. formally InPhonics. Bad news! InPhonics went belly-up. Apparently they were rebate scamming people and rarely sending out the money due to folks! There is a reason why the rebate process sucks!

Simplexity, LLC is not any better either, just a new name on an old problem. All kinds of games played.

Bait and switch seems to be the new game played! Lure you in with one service and try and stick you with another. Complaint sites are loaded with this issue. Hum� now that sounds like what they were trying to do to me. Signed up for Verizon and tried to stick me with T-Mobile! Said my credit was awful that�s why I did not meet Verizon�s standards.
    10-06-10 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD