has anyone been having any issues lately with their verizon-branded 9650 running OS 5.0.0.732 loosing battery faster than normal?
    i haven't loaded anything new, taken anything off, changed my usage pattern, etc. but according to meterberry, the battery has been discharging more rapidly than normal-i basically leave it on the desk and half an hour later 5% is gone.
    ...it's driving me nuts...
    10-04-10 05:04 PM
    Sounds like a bad battery or charging port. I would think it wouldn't have anything to do with the WIFI being on because that's unusual for it to drain that fast. It's not getting super hot just sitting there is it?
    10-04-10 06:22 PM
    Sounds like a bad battery or charging port. I would think it wouldn't have anything to do with the WIFI being on because that's unusual for it to drain that fast. It's not getting super hot just sitting there is it?
    yeah, that's what i thought...but the phone, battery, and charger are only a few months old! i almost never use WIFI and i haven't since i've noticed the problem in the last ~four days.

i think it might have something to do with the battery itself. it doesn't seem to be getting hot, either to the touch or to meterberry. but it *does* charge fully, and rather quickly. if it was a bad charging port, i would have noticed it right after getting the phone, i'd think. i haven't done anything to it to damage it since having it.
    10-04-10 06:24 PM
    Yeah then you may have a bad battery on your hands as depressing as that sounds. If it's under a year, should have some type of manufacturer warranty through the carrier. Sometimes technology is just technology unfortunately
    10-04-10 06:30 PM
    You might could try upgrading to .975? I noticed that I seemed to get better battery life out of my bold by doing that.
    10-04-10 07:24 PM
    I'd go with hispandrix, if it's under a year and under warranty by all means go get a new battery then upgrade to .975
    10-04-10 08:43 PM
    You might could try upgrading to .975? I noticed that I seemed to get better battery life out of my bold by doing that.
    I've heard cases where that happens too. It COULD do something for ya. I'm definitely in favor of exhausting options before having to replace!
    10-04-10 09:07 PM
    Hmmm...I have noticed in last few days ... like last night for example...typically it losses 5-10% over night just sitting..now it lost 25%...very strange...nothing different as the OP said?????? Could anything on network be causing it? Only thing I can think of is that I have a Network Extended...perhaps verizon does some maintenance over night now and then and if the Extender is down...I have poor 1X signal here and that could drain the battery...no way to tell?
    10-05-10 06:05 AM
    Hmmm...I have noticed in last few days ... like last night for example...typically it losses 5-10% over night just sitting..now it lost 25%...very strange...nothing different as the OP said?????? Could anything on network be causing it? Only thing I can think of is that I have a Network Extended...perhaps verizon does some maintenance over night now and then and if the Extender is down...I have poor 1X signal here and that could drain the battery...no way to tell?
    Is there an App running in the background? Is it constantly searching for a signal?
    10-05-10 08:18 AM
    1X Signal will drain your battery much faster as it is searching for a signal harder. How many bars do you have?
    10-05-10 08:33 AM
    Is there an App running in the background? Is it constantly searching for a signal?
    +1 go to Switch Application and close apps you're not using. Many users report signal strength bouncing up and down with 732. Also, set your Bold to 1XEV instead of Global.
    10-05-10 08:35 AM
    has anyone been having any issues lately with their verizon-branded 9650 running OS 5.0.0.732 loosing battery faster than normal?
    i haven't loaded anything new, taken anything off, changed my usage pattern, etc. but according to meterberry, the battery has been discharging more rapidly than normal-i basically leave it on the desk and half an hour later 5% is gone.
    ...it's driving me nuts...
    .732 was known for that. Go to 862 or another os. You'll notice the difference immediately.
    10-05-10 08:57 AM
    If you have crappy service, it will drain so fast. If you have gps on, and crappy service its a combo of battery death.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-10 09:05 AM
    .732 was known for that. Go to 862 or another os. You'll notice the difference immediately.
    862 isn't a 9650 release. 5.0.0.591, 621, 643, 692, 699, 732, 810, 975 are the leaks & officials I could find.

OP: 975 gets great reviews so far, try upgrading to that, after you get VZW to give you a new battery.
    10-05-10 09:14 AM
    so the update...
    i got verizon to give me a new battery. aside from that, *no* changes to the phone have been made software or hardware wise. i do not run bluetooth or wifi any longer than i am using it. gps is on-but it always is, and was never a problem before. no apps other than the always running ones (phone, bbm, etc.) are running in the background.
    ...and, i'm still having a rapid drain occurring
    10-07-10 04:10 PM
    misery loves company....at least i'm not the *only* one noticing it! thanks for ensuring i'm not taking crazy pills!!!
    10-07-10 04:10 PM
    +1 go to Switch Application and close apps you're not using. Many users report signal strength bouncing up and down with 732. Also, set your Bold to 1XEV instead of Global.
    yeah, nothing is running the background that shouldn't be. i will try setting it to 1xev over global. thanks for taking the time to try to help...
    10-07-10 04:13 PM
    1X Signal will drain your battery much faster as it is searching for a signal harder. How many bars do you have?
    i work in a fifth story next to a window. even if my reception isn't so good, i haven't changed desks or anything in the past few days that would have altered how the battery discharges. typically i have five full bars...
    10-07-10 04:14 PM
    i just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out to solve this. i appreciate any and all effort to help resolve this extremely frustrating and seemingly causeless headache...
    10-07-10 04:16 PM
    I wouldn't say 732 is "known" for battery drain, it was fine when I ran it. Try going up to 810 or 975 to see if that helps you. Or better yet, put BB6 on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 05:02 PM
    i just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out to solve this. i appreciate any and all effort to help resolve this extremely frustrating and seemingly causeless headache...
    1. Do a backup of Contacts and calender only using the DM.
    2. Backup your Applications using BBSAK or BMCP.
    2. Wipe your device and load 5.0.0.975
    3. restore only your contacts and calender.
    4. enable only your Network and make sure it is set to 1XEV.
    5. Wait 48 hours and watch your battery.
    6. reload your applications once you feel your OS good though.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by romman; 10-07-10 at 08:06 PM.
    10-07-10 07:21 PM
    I have noticed the same exact problem in the last few days, i'm on .975

Don't keep any apps open in the background.

My useage has not changed, but in the last few days, i've noticed severley worse battery life than normal.

I seem to remember something like this happening about a year ago, and it was presumed to be a network 'thing' that went away on its own.
    10-07-10 07:57 PM
    I too have noticed the same thing so I have a charger at work and one in my car.
    10-07-10 08:07 PM
    I've noticed the same over the last few days. It has happened a few times before. Loading a new OS probably won't make that much of a difference. I've had several. .699, .732, .810, and .975
    They all seem to operate about the same for me, as far as battery usage.

Lately I've noticed that BlackBerry Messengers has been acting strange.
    There are times when it will show that all of my BBM contacts have updated their profile pic. I know it's a BBM issue, because every contact profile would be updated at the same time. Due to this, I've seen my data running more than normal. I didn't have that issue today, and my battery was fine.
    10-07-10 08:33 PM
    I have been running 975 since it leaked and my battery has improved tremendously. I have not noticed any BBM slowdowns, either. (Not that THAT would have anything to do with it, IMO)

I leave wi-fi on CONSTANTLY as I go from one wi-fi network to another between work and home. BT is off. I only put it on when I will be using my headset. I believe you need to give your battery a few days on 975 for it to settle but sounds like you have tried and it still is unsatisfactory. Maybe time to ask for a new one

What about a charging pod on your desk? Is that a possibility to help give you a boost throughout the day? I sometimes use that when I spend a lot of time on the phone or BBM-ing...
    10-08-10 07:57 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD