I recently upgraded to the newest official release for the Torch, 6.0.0.246, and am just now noticing that the thread for the release is closed. This is a bit annoying, because I can't find anyone's feedback on the release before trying it now... Anyway, here's my take on how the newest release is functioning:
    This release avoided the WiFi BIS issue from past official releases instead of fixing it. There is no BIS connection through WiFi from what I can see so far. Past versions would allow BIS through both WiFi and 3G, but after a week or less of use BIS would no longer work through 3G - only WiFi.
    The 6.0.0.225 (?) beta release seemed to fix the issue for the most part, but it still required a reboot or two per day when switching on and off of WiFi often. The beta also had some graphics bugs that are not present in this release.
    Aside from the lack of BIS through WiFi, this release seems to work perfectly thus far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 10:02 AM
    10-04-10 10:10 AM
    I just upgraded last night and have noticed this issue. It is a deal breaker for me. I am going to go back to .225, never had a problem with it.
    10-04-10 10:18 AM
    I was in a no-signal zone the other day and had BIS-Over-WiFi without any problems. (.246)

It does take a minute or two to establish BIS connection though.
    10-04-10 10:49 AM
    I upgraded last night, did several battery pulls and nothing. Unfortunately, I just downgraded to .225 and now it won't connect over WiFi with .225 either. Not good.
    10-04-10 11:17 AM
    I like my Torch, alot. I am running .246, but RIM needs to pull their head out and fix this d**n Wi-fi issue, yesterday!! For a business phone manufacturerer, this is inexcusable. I can't believe how frickin slow wi-fi is on this, when it does connect. In order to use wi-fi at home, I need to turn the wifi on and off 2-3 times until the BIS symbol shows up next to the wifi symbol. WTF?? Is this RIM's first phone with wifi built in? Sure acts like it, doesn't it!!

I hope you are listening RIM. I came from a Nokia to the Torch, but if this is how you implement wifi on your phones, this may be my last BB.

rant over.
    10-04-10 11:31 AM
    hmmm, that's weird. I can connect BIS through my home network WIFI no problem with .246. Can you describe it more throughly?

Thanks.
    10-04-10 12:30 PM
    hmmm, that's weird. I can connect BIS through my home network WIFI no problem with .246. Can you describe it more throughly?

Thanks.
    What is going on with my phone as of last night is that is will find any WiFi network but the BIS will not connect to them. It still shows the Blackberry symbol next to the 3G. It says I am connected but if I go to the Service Status area it says that I am only connected over the Mobile Network.

10-04-10 01:14 PM

Thanks.
    When uaing .225, I could connect to BIS when on 3G/EDGE only, or with WiFi only. When connected to both, it would use WiFi for BIS.
    Now, with .246, BIS connection cannot be established through a WiFi connection. I tested this everywhere I normally use WiFi, including my work and home networks. I generally use the BB symbol by the connection as the indicator of a BIS connection, but I've tested it with the use of BBM, and even the Diagnostics Test. Resets, battery pulls, disconnect/reconnect, no use.

I suggest anyone using .225 wait for a more solid release before upgrading again.

10-04-10 01:16 PM
    I downgraded and lost the ability to connect BIS to WiFi.

10-04-10 01:51 PM
    Now I see it and now my phone with .246 acts the same. But I swear last night and yesterday I got BIS via my WIFI home network. I am thinking this is maybe due to switching from 3G to 2G, but don't quote me on that.
    10-04-10 02:20 PM
    im not quite sure i understand your issues - i was using the bis and wifi yesterday - it seemed every time i got home i picked up my wifi. every time i left it worked perfectly.
    10-04-10 02:28 PM

Thanks.
    Sometimes it takes 2-3 'on-off' cycles of wifi for the BB symbol to move next to the wifi symbol. And when it does connect, it is fast at first, but then gets slower and slower the longer you are connected.
    10-04-10 04:47 PM
    Never had a problem with it connecting before. This all started as soon as I installed .246. Now even after I downgraded I cannot connect to BIS through WiFi.
    10-04-10 08:33 PM
    4shared
    9800 246 East Asia Rogers
    9800 246 Multi Lang Roger
    Last edited by irsan; 10-04-10 at 08:44 PM.
    10-04-10 08:40 PM
    My Torch is running .246 and I turned off mobile network, turned on Wi-Fi, and was connected in BIS within seconds. Service status says I'm connected to BIS with Wi-Fi, with or without mobile service turned on, and when wi-fi is off, BIS switches immediately back to mobile network .
    10-04-10 08:59 PM
    karmonie, my phone was like yours last night and this morning, then after reading this post, it's no longer connected to BIS, even after switching off mobile network.

weird
    10-04-10 09:12 PM
    Very odd. Before I didn't have this issue with BIS connecting over Wifi. But currently tonight I apparently am. I am unable to connect to BIS with Wifi & 3G enabled. Or even with 3G disabled and only Wifi active.

In fact, when I turn off 3G and connect Wifi. 3G automatically TURNS BACK ON. What is this issue? I've never upgraded to .246. Would upgrading fix this issue? I've done several battery pulls and disconnect/reconnect to wifi with no fix.
    10-05-10 01:47 AM
    Yep. The torches wifi sucks big time!! It is so damn frustrating that an otherwise excellent device has such a huge problem in such a basic, elemental area.

10-05-10 01:57 AM
    Welcome, Jghost23. hahahahahaha

I did rewipe, re install .246, EVEN setting up all my settings manually by myself instead of restoring and still wifi can not connect to BIS (I only restored my BB contacts from DM and BBM contacts from the SD card, that's it).
    10-05-10 01:59 AM
    I see. GOOD NEWS. Wifi works for general internet needs. But any RIM core application that connects to BIS obviously doesn't work. BBM, app world, Facebook app, podcasts.. and a few others. Would you say Content encryption has to do with this issue? I use content encryption. Does it really do anything?
    10-05-10 02:13 AM
    Jghost23, so you are saying you are still in .141? I don't think Content encryption has anything to do with it. I don't have the encryption on and I still have this issue.

I am thinking, at this point, maybe AT&T is blocking BIS via its firewall from Wifi and can only connect via its own network? This is the only explanation I can think of, as of last night, I can connect BIS no problem and this morning, I see this problem, and now yours too...
    10-05-10 02:15 AM
    Jghost23, you have not upgraded to .246 yet? If not and you are still having this problem then it is something with AT&T. Is anyone in Canada having this issue with a different carrier?
    10-05-10 07:54 AM
    I'm on .225. I didn't have this issue before but as of yesterday I have it now.

10-05-10 09:45 AM
    I recently upgraded to the newest official release for the Torch, 6.0.0.246, and am just now noticing that the thread for the release is closed. This is a bit annoying, because I can't find anyone's feedback on the release before trying it now... Anyway, here's my take on how the newest release is functioning:
    This release avoided the WiFi BIS issue from past official releases instead of fixing it. There is no BIS connection through WiFi from what I can see so far. Past versions would allow BIS through both WiFi and 3G, but after a week or less of use BIS would no longer work through 3G - only WiFi.
    The 6.0.0.225 (?) beta release seemed to fix the issue for the most part, but it still required a reboot or two per day when switching on and off of WiFi often. The beta also had some graphics bugs that are not present in this release.
    Aside from the lack of BIS through WiFi, this release seems to work perfectly thus far.

Well my Torch came preloaded with .246 and I don't see any BIS issues WiFi on or off. Could you possibly take a screen shot because I want to know what this issue, everyone but me seems to have, looks like.

EDIT: @GYSM715: not sure about anyone else but I am on Rogers and haven't seen the issue yet. I picked up the torch about 5 days ago and have not seen any BIS issues. I turn WiFi on and off all the time.
    Last edited by dylan_tittel; 10-05-10 at 09:57 AM.
    10-05-10 09:54 AM
106 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD