I don't see why anyone that would buy this would want a Storm. I've owned both and currently use the Strom 2. I really like the Storm 2, but after seeing this announced I instantly lost all interest in the Storm 3 or 4 or any future Storms. I will be buying a Playbook and really see no point in having two big screen BBs. A few of my BBMers with a Storm feel the same exact way.

Every advantage the Storm had over a qwerty this has, but amplified if you will lol. So why have this and s Storm? When you could have the best of both worlds with say a Bold and a Playbook.

Anyone here think they would use this and a Storm?
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-04-10 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Corrected title spelling.
    10-04-10 09:40 AM
    I would absolutely buy this and a Storm. I want a touch screen phone but I also want something I can fit in my pocket.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 10-04-10 at 09:58 AM.
    10-04-10 09:45 AM
    I would alsolutely buy this and a Storm. I want a touch screen phone but I also want something I can fit in my pocket.
    ditto.....
    10-04-10 09:55 AM
    Once this goes 3G/4G, I'll just use this with Bluetooth headset. Won't need both. Pocket convience is good, and I agree this could be cumbersome/bulky in some cases, but I tuck the Kindle away and manage to take it almost everywhere I go. This would replace that too, I think.

With 3G/4G this will take away sales from all BB models to some degree. The Storm and Torch will probably be affected most because they are also touchscreen devices. People that want and need the hardware keyboards will be less inclined to go solo with this. But there will be a lot of people that don't want the hassle of tethering.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 10-04-10 at 11:27 AM.
    10-04-10 10:08 AM
    I would absolutely buy this and a Storm. I want a touch screen phone but I also want something I can fit in my pocket.
    another "ditto".
    10-04-10 10:18 AM

Why not get the Torch 9800, and the tablet? I'd rather have the torch over the storm becuase the storm isn't a true touch screen phone
    10-04-10 03:29 PM
    this all assumes this device gets a PIN and can do BIS (BBM mostly) without a BB. if you cant do that then it will hurt tablet sales and the BB sales wont get touched
    10-04-10 03:40 PM
    this all assumes this device gets a PIN and can do BIS (BBM mostly) without a BB. if you cant do that then it will hurt tablet sales and the BB sales wont get touched
    I imagine the 3G/4G versions will get a pin, but I think it would be too confusing on the wifi versions considering that the tethered Blackberrys already have their own pin.

I think the 3G/4G versions having their own pin and being able to use BBM would garner a lot of attention and up sales. I'd be very shocked if those versions were released without pins or their own independent BBM capability.
    10-04-10 04:13 PM
    Once this goes 3G/4G, I'll just use this with Bluetooth headset. Won't need both. Pocket convience is good, and I agree this could be cumbersome/bulky in some cases, but I tuck the Kindle away and manage to take it almost everywhere I go. This would replace that too, I think.

With 3G/4G this will take away sales from all BB models to some degree. The Storm and Torch will probably be affected most because they are also touchscreen devices. People that want and need the hardware keyboards will be less inclined to go solo with this. But there will be a lot of people that don't want the hassle of tethering.
    - if we learned one thing at the introduction of the samsung galaxy tab, its that the carriers in the USA do not want tablets with phone capability. they want clear separation between phones and tablets. that being said, you wont see a tablet for sale in the USA with an integrated phone. im just hoping the carriers will allow tethering for data with our bb without finding a way to charge extra.
    10-04-10 04:32 PM
    - if we learned one thing at the introduction of the samsung galaxy tab, its that the carriers in the USA do not want tablets with phone capability. they want clear separation between phones and tablets. that being said, you wont see a tablet for sale in the USA with an integrated phone. im just hoping the carriers will allow tethering for data with our bb without finding a way to charge extra.
    They will always try to find a way to charge us every dime and nickel they can.
    10-04-10 04:35 PM
    doesnt the dell 5" tablet have phone also?
    10-04-10 04:54 PM
    Gawd I sincerly hope so; I am still stuck in the S1 and eagerly look forward to my NE2, not sure what it's going to be but I really really wish Vz could get the Torch. Yeah, I get why they won't but it seems the whole world is getting Torched and Vz and Sprint are getting the Style-ugh Ugh UGH.
    Anything that detracts from Storm sales is in my opinion a good thing. My Lovely Wife likes her S2 but the build quality is not good imo. The new OS on the tablet bodes well for RIM's future.
    Last edited by iamajim; 10-04-10 at 05:07 PM. Reason: fatfingered it
    10-04-10 05:01 PM
    doesnt the dell 5" tablet have phone also?

from dell.com/streak: "Facebook� , Twitter� , Gmail, a phone call � however you like to stay connected6, the Streak keeps the lines of communication open. The Streak is a full-function 3G phone with IM and SMS/text capabilities, plus you can take photos for sharing using the rear-facing camera with dual-LED flash. Integrated real-time Facebook and Flickr� upload abilities put your photo or video online in no time."
    10-04-10 05:02 PM
    from dell.com/streak: "Facebook� , Twitter� , Gmail, a phone call � however you like to stay connected6, the Streak keeps the lines of communication open. The Streak is a full-function 3G phone with IM and SMS/text capabilities, plus you can take photos for sharing using the rear-facing camera with dual-LED flash. Integrated real-time Facebook and Flickr� upload abilities put your photo or video online in no time."
    thats what i thought. its an awkward "phone" but its still a tablet phone
    10-04-10 05:06 PM
    the dell streak is a 5" tablet with phone capability like the samsung but is not for sale with service anywhere i can find in the USA. at&t was going to sell it with service but that was a while back and it still doesn't show up on their web site. in europe and australia these things are being sold with phone service. that being said, that dell tablet is only 5". not much larger then an evo 4g.
    Last edited by dpeagle; 10-04-10 at 05:23 PM.
    10-04-10 05:19 PM
    who cares if its sold with service, people by phones all the time without service to activate them on their current line of service they already have
    10-04-10 05:22 PM
    i just took a look at that thing. i dont think its even as big as the evo 4g. they may call it a "tablet" but my guess is its considered by the carriers more like a smartphone.
    10-04-10 05:32 PM
    3G/4G capabilities ARE phones. Carriers will go with whatever the consumer wants to keep the business. I'm sure that there are already plans for this or they would not have announced that future capability.
    10-05-10 08:47 AM
    3G/4G capabilities ARE phones. Carriers will go with whatever the consumer wants to keep the business. I'm sure that there are already plans for this or they would not have announced that future capability.
    this is totally wrong! you dont have to look any farther then the samsung. it is 3g capable with no phone in the USA version. the carriers gutted the voice capability so if you want the samsung you still need a phone. it means they sign you up for a phone plan and a separate data plan. my guess is the Playbook 3g/4g will be data capable in the USA only.
    10-05-10 09:14 AM
    this is totally wrong! you dont have to look any farther then the samsung. it is 3g capable with no phone in the USA version. the carriers gutted the voice capability so if you want the samsung you still need a phone. it means they sign you up for a phone plan and a separate data plan. my guess is the Playbook 3g/4g will be data capable in the USA only.
    You're wrong and right. 3G/4G is wireless capable. Just because the carriers gut or disallow a particular PHONE on their network, doesn't make it NOT a PHONE.

It's a CARRIER issue, not a PHONE issue.
    10-05-10 09:37 AM
    You're wrong and right. 3G/4G is wireless capable. Just because the carriers gut or disallow a particular PHONE on their network, doesn't make it NOT a PHONE.

It's a CARRIER issue, not a PHONE issue.
    So is a 3G Kindle a phone?
    10-05-10 10:50 AM
    10-05-10 11:03 AM
    I think the big factor will be what OS comes out on the next Storm. If it is a variant of the QNX OS, then it would be easier to go between your Playbook and your Storm since they would have the same feel and functionality between the two. It would be a perfect bland of devices.

Other devices will probably work well together with the Playbook, but the way the Playbook operates will probably be a little different than BB6 devices.
    10-05-10 11:51 AM
    So is a 3G Kindle a phone?
    No of course not. 3G/4G is a network protocol for wifi as well as the phone networks. Your assumption I guess is that you believe RIM, in announcing 3G/4G capability for the future is heading toward WiMAX and going to leave out the carriers. I don't believe that's their direction. If they leave out the carriers and make tethering a BB smartphone the only option to connect to the internet when wifi/wimax is not available, this will be a dismal failure.

This thing will be on the wireless phone network natively, without tethering in the future. Do you believe RIM is coming out with this so it can be the next iPad or Kindle? Doomed to failure. Kindle may never be, but the iPad will be on ATT PHONE network in the future, just like the iPhone. People will just be able to choose their form factor. I believe that's why Apple is said to be developing a 7" iPad. Far more portable than the current 10". The iPad is a new kewl thing, but in reality doesn't offer many benefits as far as portability over a netbook, which already has software and applciations (Windows) that can integrate into an Enterprise.

No, IMO, RIM has stated this is for the enterprise. Without the 3G/4G PHONE (and LTE when available) it will be accepted only minimally. Company's don't want to have to use 2 stones to kill one bird.

When I think 3G/4G Playbook, I'm thinking PHONE. You may think iPad clone if you want.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 10-05-10 at 01:44 PM.
    10-05-10 01:42 PM
    This device can easily be used as a phone. It has a mic for the camera, also I am guessing it will be able to support bluetooth headsets. All you would need to do on the 4G/3G version is download an app like Google Voice and have your calls forwarded to your GV number. It may not come stock with a phone app, but that wont stop people from making one (unless RIM doesn't release the appropriate APIs).
    10-05-10 02:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD