I am feeling an irresistible urge to defect to the dark side (iPhone) and am not sure I am going to be able to resist through the end of this weekend. I love my Bold 9700, but have been slowly subcoming to the dark side -- first it was a Mac Pro desktop tower, then it was a MacBook Pro 17" with an i7 processor, then a MacBook Air. I love BusyCal, but Desktop Manager for Mac has a bug that is not a high priority for R.I.M. to fix (and I've already written to the CEO and gotten a message through to the development team, but it's not a high priority). Third-party developers are investing their time in applications for the iPhone because that is where the money is (and BlackBerry users are a "niche"). I have not seen any new major developments in applications for tasks / events for the BlackBerry in one year -- essentially, PocketInformant is the best. Apparently the iPhone does not have a forward delete, which the Bold 9700 has and I use it all the time. Other than the keyboard and BlackBerry Messenger, is there a compelling reason why I should stay with the Bold 9700?
    10-02-10 11:51 PM
    Other than the batter life, nope

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 12:16 AM
    Stay with blackberry. Cause you cannot replace the battery on that device. And apple has a kill switch, IT CAN BRICK IT AT ANY TIME WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE. It has happened to my brother during and after a phone call. Nothing could be done to bring it out of the brick.

9700 is simply better. This thread should be in the iphone section in my opinion.

10-03-10 12:24 AM
    You're going to have to just do what you want, but here's what I think. I love my MacBook, it's a solid computer, and it runs as well today as it did when I first got it almost 2 years ago. A lot of people my age have MacBooks too, and almost all of those same people have iPhones. The consensus among my friends that own both, is that Apple should have a phone that has as few problems as their computers do. I personally own 5 BlackBerrys and have never had one melt, overheat, delete my address book or accidentally wipe the phone, or even have some inexplicable problem that requires me to return it (just small scrapes that drive me crazy so I exchange for a replacement device ). Many of these same friends have had an iPhone since it came out a few years ago, coming directly from a feature phone, which makes the level of awe and amazement even greater (imagine coming to an iPhone from a Razr), so they're as addicted as crackberry addicts are, but to the latest & greatest iPhone.

I just don't see the magic in the iPhone, as I do in the iPad, but that's just me. Sure a lot of the apps are more interactive on the iPhone, but then I ask myself "When am I honestly going to play all these games or use this stuff?"
    10-03-10 12:47 AM
    You're going to have to just do what you want, but here's what I think. I love my MacBook, it's a solid computer, and it runs as well today as it did when I first got it almost 2 years ago. A lot of people my age have MacBooks too, and almost all of those same people have iPhones. The consensus among my friends that own both, is that Apple should have a phone that has as few problems as their computers do. I personally own 5 BlackBerrys and have never had one melt, overheat, delete my address book or accidentally wipe the phone, or even have some inexplicable problem that requires me to return it (just small scrapes that drive me crazy so I exchange for a replacement device ). Many of these same friends have had an iPhone since it came out a few years ago, coming directly from a feature phone, which makes the level of awe and amazement even greater (imagine coming to an iPhone from a Razr), so they're as addicted as crackberry addicts are, but to the latest & greatest iPhone.

I just don't see the magic in the iPhone, as I do in the iPad, but that's just me. Sure a lot of the apps are more interactive on the iPhone, but then I ask myself "When am I honestly going to play all these games or use this stuff?"
    +1 on what you said.

OP probably hasn't tried the iphone yet. I had the first iphone before i realized i needed a hardware qwerty. He has to try the iphone out before he can decide what he really wants
    10-03-10 01:02 AM
    I have 4 ppl in my office having the iPhone 4.. All i can see them in crying coz their battery dies out in 5 hrs on 3G and they are not even heavy users like us BB Geeks They have ended up setting their mail retrieval to once in an hr and also keep their iPhones hooked onto the charging dock whenever they are at their seat. Trust me bro the 9700's battery is what your gonna crib for when you get the iPhone. I had the same itch a few months back but seeing the ppl in my office i always say m glad i din make the switch even though i am a big apple fanboy and i love my 13" MB and 15" MBP
    10-03-10 01:15 AM

Agree with you 100%... Well said
    10-03-10 01:16 AM
    As much as I loathe Apple, I am not gonna tell you what to do...as I say with anyone, test drive one out, rather spending a couple hours at a store or taking advantage of the 30 day window to return it or TMobile, 14 days..Errrr!

The iPhone 4 and the one I had back what seems forever ago now in the 3G had the best TS to date and is fast, but hated the checkerboard effect, hated that I had to what good ole Apple told me to do(unless jailbroke) and really hated the battery life.

It does a lot of things well, but on same token it pissed me off more to the point I moved on, but to each their own...

Good luck and enjoy

10-03-10 06:46 AM
    try the ipod touch- maybe it'll fill ur needs for more entertainment and multimedia device...
    10-03-10 08:18 AM
    get the iphone4, ignore what anyone else here tells you who is obsessed with a useless/shameful blackberry only because of such primative and ghetto functions that only teens are starting to get hooked to now (hence why RIM is now targeting a completely different market than business users).

it will sync best with your setup and give you far less stress.

another very healthy choice might be the HTC Evo4g (especially if you can get on the 4G network in the USA)

good luck, iam switching out too, bold9700 was the last chance i gave blackberry and it failed with no surprises at delivering anymore than email and instant messanges on bbm (when it worked)
    10-03-10 08:43 AM
    To each their own. Blackberry's are far from "useless/shameful", though. lol

If your feeling the iPhone, give it a shot! Suggest going to an AT&T/Apple store and playing around with one first, if you haven't already done so. I had planned on getting an iP4 until I spent a little time with my buddy's. Not the phone for me.
    10-03-10 08:55 AM
    To each their own. Blackberry's are far from "useless/shameful", though. lol

If your feeling the iPhone, give it a shot! Suggest going to an AT&T/Apple store and playing around with one first, if you haven't already done so. I had planned on getting an iP4 until I spent a little time with my buddy's. Not the phone for me.
    iPh4 isn't even the phone for me either. I took the time to fool around with quite a few of them at their respective stores. I'm better used to a qwerty device. Cannot beat a physical keyboard, memory card and battery replacement. iPh4 is a toy to me.

10-03-10 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD