Ok, I've seen alot of people lately using JL_Cmder to wipe the device, but some are having problems. So, heres a How-To on how to use JL_Cmder. I hope this helps a few people out.

1) DownloadJL_Cmder from the attached file below, unzip & install to the computer.

2) Now, go ahead and sync all of your info or back it up. If you DO NOT, you will lose it ALL, obviously because we are wiping the device.

3) If you do not have the latest version of the Desktop Manager, download it fromHERE
    Also, make sure, that you have the OS you are wanting to install to the device, installed to your computer as well.

4)Make sure the Vendor XML file is deleted if you are going to install a OS that is not from your carrier. The vendor XML file can be located by going toC:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader

5) Make sure the DM is closed and plug in BB to computer via USB

6) Go to theJL_Cmderon your computer and double click it to start. Now, this may take a few tries to connect, so keep trying until it does.

7) On the first screen, Press any key to continue.

8) Now, if your device uses a password, enter it now. If not, press "N"

9) Press 4 to initiate the WIPE

10) Press "Y" to continue

11) Now type "blackberry" to continue

12) Now you will see a white screen with a'507' Error Don't worry, this is what you want! You are now ready to install the OS.

13) Open the DM

14) Select Apploader and step your way to the finish. After the OS is installed, it will take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to reboot the device. DO NOT UNPLUG THE DEVICE UNTIL THE APPLOADER SCREEN SAYS "THE LOADING OPERATION WAS SUCCESSFUL!!

15) Almost done. Now, with the DM still open go to the Main page and Select "Backup & Restore" and restore from the backup that was made before wiping.

That's it! You have now wiped your device withJL_Cmder
    Make sure you follow the instructions, and you shouldn't have a problem. I hope this helps.

EDIT: How to use JL_Cmder with Vistax64:

Download and install this version HERE
    1. Download JL_Cmder from HERE NON-INSTALLER
    2. Extract contents
    3. Download MY version
    4. Replace CHOICE.COM with the my version of the file.
    5. Rename my version extension to CHOICE.COM (thanks minigts for the catch!)
    6. Right click JL_Cmder.cmd and choose properties
    7. Click compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    8. Click OK
    9. Run JL_Cmder.cmd
    10. Continue as stated in the directions above.

This tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this outside this forum without my consent. Thank you. And Thanks to D_Fisher for making this Wonderful Application.

Below is a list of App Errors:

* 101 Internal JVM error.
    * 102 Invalid code in file system. The .cod files in the handheld have been checked for modification and it has been determined that there is a problem with one or more .cod files.
    * 103 The starting address for the boot .cod file cannot be found. This might mean that a boot .cod file has not been installed on the handheld, or that its format is invalid or corrupt.
    * 104 An uncaught Java exception was thrown in the Java code and diagnosed by the JVM. Execution can be continued or the handheld can be attached to a debugger on a desktop through a serial or USB cable. The event log should contain the traceback of the thrown exception.
    * 105 An OS file system API returned an error status for a certain operation. This can indicate a corrupt file system or an error in the JVM.
    * 106 An error has been detected in the graphics system of the handheld.
    * 107 Internal JVM error.
    * 108 Internal JVM error.
    * 109 Internal OS error.
    * 110 Non-idle event downtime error. A problem has been detected in the accumulation of JVM down time that represents how long the JVM has been idle. This indicates an error in either the OS code or the JVM code.
    * 200 Application manager threw an uncaught exception. The application manager event thread threw an uncaught exception and so cannot continue running.
    * 201 Initialization of the cryptographic system failed and the handheld cannot continue to operate.
    * 202 An attack on the key store has been detected, and the handheld cannot continue to operate.
    * 203 The application manager console process, usually the Home screen ribbon, has failed, like due to an uncaught exception.
    * 501 Internal error.
    * 502 All processes exited. The last Java process has terminated, and there is nothing left to execute.
    * 503 Internal error.
    * 504 Internal error.
    * 505 Internal error.
    * 506 An uncaught Java exception was thrown in the initial VM Java thread thus killing the only live thread in the system. The event log contains the traceback for the exception.
    * 507 A dependency on a .cod file could not be satisfied due to a missing .cod file. Load the missing .cod file onto the handheld.
    * 508 Invalid object. A problem has been detected with a debugger command to the VM.
    * 516 Error occurred during garbage collection, which might indicate a corrupted file system.
    * 510 All threads are waiting on objects, which results in a deadlock. The system cannot recover from this state since no thread can release a lock.
    * 511 A problem has occurred during debugging.
    * 515 The reachable objects form a group that cannot be represented properly by the VM because there are too many objects or the total size of the objects is too large.
    * 516 When committing a persistent object, the VM found that the persistent store id counter has reached its limit. The object was not committed.
    * 517 An inconsistency has been detected in the VM persistent object store.
    * 518 Internal error.
    * 519 Internal error.
    * 520 Internal error.
    * 521 Indicates that Object.wait() has been executed by a thread that holds a lock on another object; occurs only in simulator if the JvmDebugWaits application switch.
    * 522 A thread has acquired two locks on objects in an order that doesn�t match the order that previous locks for the two types were acquired, which indicates a future potential deadlock situation; reported only in the simulator when the JvmDebugLocks application switch is set.
    * 523 A critical Java process has died and the device cannot continue to operate normally.
    * 524 An object has been marked as recovered by the Low Memory Manager but it was not freed during a garbage collection. This is only checked in the simulator under the control of the JvmDebugLMM application switch.
    * 525 Bad persistent object. An auto-commit operation during a garbage collection has detected a non-persistent object reachable from the persistent store root. The type of the object has been output into the event log.
    * 526 The class definition for java.lang.Object cannot be found.
    * 527 The class definition for java.lang.String cannot be found.
    * 528 The file system is corrupted. Data on the handheld is unrecoverable.
    * 529 The file system is corrupted. An attempt is going to be made to recover data, but some data might be lost.
    * 530 Internal JVM error.
    * 531 Flash memory has been exhausted.
    * 532 A JVM assertion has been violated. This error can occur only in the simulator, not on an actual handheld.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 01-07-09 at 07:10 PM.
    07-20-08 09:59 AM
    Nice job CX!

Your step by step with screen shots is sure to ease the tension of users that have not done procedure before.
    Darcy9463 likes this.
    07-20-08 10:20 AM
    Nice job CX!

Your step by step with screen shots is sure to ease the tension of users that have not done procedure before.
    Thanks Tyroni. I hoped it would. I've seen alot of members having problems. I wish I could have put the 1st pic up, but it would only let me put up 4. So i figured the 1st was the least important. But, thank you, I appreciate it.
    keyhole likes this.
    07-20-08 10:21 AM
    Another great, useful guide. I will be using this elsewhere : http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

I am sure you will not mind Amazing, step-by-step guide!
    07-20-08 10:24 AM
    Another great, useful guide. I will be using this elsewhere : http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...ocedure-53359/

I am sure you will not mind Amazing, step-by-step guide!
    Sounds good!!
    07-20-08 10:31 AM
    I am not sure if you have already done this, but you need to contact Kevin or a forum mod and get this guide and this guide posted in the How-To Forum!! They are both great resources!
    07-20-08 11:03 AM
    How-To Wipe with JL_Cmder part II

This is for the few times you cannot get the above instructions to work. ** Make sure you try to get JL_Cmder to connect 5 or 6 times before doing this.**

The same as above applies for this. Make sure you have the latest version of Desktop Manager & OS installed to your computer.

1) Make sure DM is NOT running.

2) Connect BB

3) Start a Command Prompt in DOS from your computer.
    ** XP ** Start>Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt then type
    loader.exe/nojvm

4) The AppLoader will then open

5) Select Next

6) A drop down list will appear with the Communication ports & one USB port entry

7) Select USB:Unknown

8) The Apploader should connect to the device and you can now re-install the OS.

If you do not see USB:BBPIN or USB:Unknown

1) Then disconnect your device from the computer
    2) Make sure you leave the Apploader screen up
    3) Remove the battery & stick it back in
    4) Quickly while the RED LED is on reconnect your device to the computer
    5) When USB:BBPIN OR USB:Unknown appears quickly Select Next
    6) Then run the Apploader

Once again, JL_Cmder usually connects to the device after 1 or even a few tries. This is if you CANNOT get JL_Cmder to connect. I've tried to make this as complete as I can. If anyone has anything to add, please do so. Either post here or PM me.

This 2nd part to the tutorial is made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this in any other forums without my permission. Thank you.
    07-20-08 12:51 PM
    4)Make sure the Vendor XML file is deleted if you are not going to install a OS that is not from your carrier. The vendor XML file can be located by going toC:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader

Great job Crucial, but one thing, you should change the bold part to
    read if you ARE going to install....
    07-20-08 01:02 PM
    Great job Crucial, but one thing, you should change the bold part to
    read if you ARE going to install....
    Thank you AG. I knew I was bound to look over something. Thank you sir.
    07-20-08 01:32 PM
    Very Nice! These are great instructions thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 01:41 PM
    Well done crucial. I added to my sig.
    07-20-08 01:42 PM
    Thank you Garz. As I said, I've seen A LOT of members having problems with JL, so I figured I'd try an help. Thnx again.

KelevraV likes this.
    07-20-08 01:54 PM
    I really appreciate the time you took to post this. I bricked my Curve a couple of weeks ago and was using bits and pieces of info I found in these forums to get JL_Cmder to work and I never had any success. I spent four hours trying to do it. I finally used the technique of pulling the battery and then clicking really fast on the COM port button in DM.

I will bookmark this for future reference.
    07-20-08 02:50 PM
    Sounds good. Only sorry I didn't make this earlier then. And thank you
    07-20-08 02:53 PM
    after i typed in blackberry it did nothing for me?
    07-20-08 09:06 PM
    after i typed in blackberry it did nothing for me?
    As it says in the directions "it may take a few tries" for it to connect. It doesn't always work the first time. Sometimes it takes 3, 4, 5, maybe even 6 tries. But usually it works. Also, I added part II to the directions, if it just wont work in the first directions.
    07-20-08 09:10 PM
    does this allow me to disable the firewall settings?
    07-22-08 02:42 PM
    I downloaded this and installed it. All I get is a bad link on my desktop. What did I do wrong?
    07-22-08 04:29 PM
    @alex: do you have a IT policy on the device?

@vlara: make sure on the page you are downloading the correct link.

07-22-08 04:33 PM
    Ok, I've seen alot of people lately using JL_Cmder to wipe the device, but some are having problems. So, heres a How-To on how to use JL_Cmder. I hope this helps a few people out.

1) DownloadJL_Cmder, unzip & install to the computer.

2) Now, go ahead and sync all of your info or back it up. If you DO NOT, you will lose it ALL, obviously because we are wiping the device.

3) If you do not have the latest version of the Desktop Manager, download it fromHERE
    Also, make sure, that you have the OS you are wanting to install to the device, installed to your computer as well.

4)Make sure the Vendor XML file is deleted if you are going to install a OS that is not from your carrier. The vendor XML file can be located by going toC:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Applo ader

5) Make sure the DM is closed and plug in BB to computer via USB

6) Go to theJL_Cmderon your computer and double click it to start. Now, this may take a few tries to connect, so keep trying until it does.

7) On the first screen, Press any key to continue.

8) Now, if your device uses a password, enter it now. If not, press "N"

9) Press 4 to initiate the WIPE

10) Press "Y" to continue

11) Now type "blackberry" to continue

12) Now you will see a white screen with a'507' Error Don't worry, this is what you want! You are now ready to install the OS.

13) Open the DM

14) Select Apploader and step your way to the finish. After the OS is installed, it will take anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to reboot the device. DO NOT UNPLUG THE DEVICE UNTIL THE APPLOADER SCREEN SAYS "THE LOADING OPERATION WAS SUCCESSFUL!!

15) Almost done. Now, with the DM still open go to the Main page and Select "Backup & Restore" and restore from the backup that was made before wiping.

That's it! You have now wiped your device withJL_Cmder
    Make sure you follow the instructions, and you shouldn't have a problem. I hope this helps.

This tutorial was made by Crucial_Xtreme. Please do not copy and paste this outside this forum without my consent. Thank you.
    Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to write up the process.
    07-22-08 04:37 PM
    Excellent! Thanks for taking the time to write up the process.
    NP, I as said, I saw alot of members having problems, and I hope it just helps, even a little bit. But thank you T.
    07-22-08 04:56 PM
    I have a question. Is this way only used when you want to wipe and put a whole new OS on your BB? Cause I know that you can wipe using the settings on your actual BB.
    07-22-08 05:13 PM
    This is the only way that I wipe. I don't use the function on the device.
    **Note** You don't "HAVE" to wipe before a upgrade. But I recommend it. Now, if you're planning on upgrading tonight with your new device: if it's a brand new device, I wouldn't wipe, I'd just upgrade. If it's a refurb(which is fine BTW) I would wipe, and then upgrade.
    07-22-08 05:40 PM
    I have a question. Is this way only used when you want to wipe and put a whole new OS on your BB? Cause I know that you can wipe using the settings on your actual BB.
    When you wipe with Options>Security Options>General Settings>Menu>Wipe Handled. That does NOT remove to OS. However, when using JL_Cmder, it removes everything from the device. And IMO, when upgrading or downgrading this is the best way for a "clean as you can get install. Plus with JL_Cmder, you get a few options from Ressettofactory, to wipe, and a few others as well. A very nice app by D_Fisher.
    07-23-08 05:45 AM
    i already DL'd the OS 4.5 on my BB but didnt know that i had to do a wipe prior to it. the first part of the wipe didnt work so i tried partII of the wipe and i typed in "loader.exe/nojvm" in the command prompt. and i still got nothing. it said that there was an internal error. could it be my computer thats preventing me from doing a wipe? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-14-08 08:48 PM
656 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD