Hey all.
    I am an OLD user of these forums but was dragged into the iphone curve a few years ago. I was debating on getting a new blackberry for my upgrade and tried to use my old 8310 blackberry. I did a memory erase a long time ago in case I lost it. Anyway, I put in my sim card and can make calls but cannot receive or send text messages AND i cannot set up a personal email account. Therefore telling me I should stick with the iphone which i rarely ran into problems.
    PLEASE, someone help me solve this problem I was on hold with AT&T for over an hour and I cannot afford to wait with working 80 hour weeks. I am rarely hold and time is valuable when I am.
    Can someone please tell me step by step what i can do? I hope to be able to sswitch my sim back and forth from this to the iphone for a month. I was really hoping to like being a blackberry user again so please help!
    10-02-10 12:45 PM
    Most carriers, and I'm pretty sure that includes AT&T, require *BlackBerry* data plans in addition to the phone plan to activate email and data.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    10-02-10 02:20 PM
    Yep. You need to get them to change your data plan.
    10-02-10 02:32 PM
    You need a Blackberry data plan to use a Blackberry.

Blackberry is dependant on the PIN and a BIS account to handle your email and BBM messaging. You can force the browser to use either wi-fi or apn but you won't get any emails without BIS.
    10-02-10 05:31 PM
    Hey guys, thanks I didn't realize you need it specified to the phone. Does any ATT subscriber know if you can change this back and forth or once i get switch to BB data do i need to get the 2 year again with iphone EVENthough it is MY phone for two years? Also, if I get the BB plan can i still use that plan if I switch between other phones other than Iphone? If I can use the BB data still on other smartphones besides iphone I think I made my choice already. Thanks for the info!
    10-02-10 09:12 PM
    You're going to find that the phone portion will be compatible no matter which plan you are on (making phone calls).

Data will be a different issue. The iPhone uses a different data path. The BlackBerry goes through RIM's servers. If you set up your plan to use a BlackBerry data plan, you won't be able to get the iPhone to connect to RIM's servers (security issues) - won't happen. If you have the iPhone data plan, then you won't have any connection to RIM's servers and service books (no e-mail, no BIS data, no service books for SMS/MMS).

You might be able to switch between iPhone and Android, but not between BlackBerry and other data plans.
    10-03-10 03:23 PM
    Get on a BB data plan. All you need to do on the iPhone is unlock the APN. Then
    it works just fine. I switch sims between my iPhone and BB all the time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/how...a-plan-348311/
    10-03-10 04:35 PM
    Hey guys, thanks I didn't realize you need it specified to the phone. Does any ATT subscriber know if you can change this back and forth or once i get switch to BB data do i need to get the 2 year again with iphone EVENthough it is MY phone for two years? Also, if I get the BB plan can i still use that plan if I switch between other phones other than Iphone? If I can use the BB data still on other smartphones besides iphone I think I made my choice already. Thanks for the info!
    In theory (and personally, in practice) you can switch back and forth; but, it's a bit cumbersome. You can't do it yourself, you need to either call AT&T support or go to an AT&T corporate store. Be sure they enable visual voicemail, any text plan you have, and if you have the grandfathered all you can eat data plan, make sure they do the same thing for you on the BB plan as well.

You'll need the IMEI number from the phone you are activating as well.
    10-03-10 11:11 PM
    Can you switch from a BB to an Android if I have a BB data plan?
    12-09-10 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD