Hey all,

I know alot of people are gonna stick with the 9700 for OS6 or simply purchase the 9780 over the 9700 as a new user. After trying the torch and deciding it wasn't for me, the blackberry roadmap doesn't look interesting moving forward for the time being.

So anyone going to move from 9700 to 9780 like me?, i love the 9700 but hey may as well stick with a new model for the next 18 months.
    10-02-10 10:22 AM
    ...So anyone going to move from 9700 to 9780 like me?, i love the 9700 but hey may as well stick with a new model for the next 18 months.
    Already done it

I was only 1 year into a 2 year contract with the 9700, and there was no way I could wait another 12 months for the 9780... so I bought one!

The 9700 is a fantastic device, but the 9780 is just in another league
    10-02-10 11:11 AM
    Already done it

I was only 1 year into a 2 year contract with the 9700, and there was no way I could wait another 12 months for the 9780... so I bought one!

How is it in a different league? I see many people mention this but I dont get it.

The only difference I can tell is by the OS6 which 9700 will eventually get.

More memory and 5mp camera with black bezel doesnt really make it into its own league, or does it?

10-02-10 11:39 AM
    Phill? how did you manage that?
    10-02-10 12:06 PM
    How is it in a different league? I see many people mention this but I dont get it.

The only difference I can tell is by the OS6 which 9700 will eventually get.

More memory and 5mp camera with black bezel doesnt really make it into its own league, or does it?

Until you've actually tried both models side-by-side, you'll just have to take my word for it

Anyway, since you asked... I'll try to answer

Firstly, the build quality is perfect.
    I've had my 9700 from day one, it's a Hungarian build, and I thought it was very well built.
    My 9780 is a Canadian build and has a perfectly level trackpad with no wobble whatsoever, quiet and precise feeling keypad again with no wobble, no light seepage from anywhere, perfectly fitting bezel, panels and battery cover, ultra-clear and bright screen, no creaking, and no raised or loose buttons. It just feels much more solid that the 9700.

Secondly, OS6 runs so smoothly.
    I've tried every OS5 build released for the 9700, and only lately with .938 did I finally think the phone operated anywhere near it's true potential.
    The 9780 running .214 (which I believe is only the 3rd OS release for this device) runs smoothly, fast, and without any lag/freezing/glitches, right out of the box. Most of my old 9700 apps work fine on 6, and considering it's still a pre-release device running an early leaked OS, I can't fault it in any area. It's hard to believe, but it can only get better still with future OS releases.

Thirdly, the camera is much better.
    The 9700's 3.2MP camera was great, but pics taken on the 9780's 5.0MP rival those from my 8.0MP Nikon digital camera... nuff said

That's just a few reasons why, IMO, the 9780 is in a different league to the 9700
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 10-02-10 at 12:44 PM.
    mkye86 likes this.
    10-02-10 12:22 PM
    Phill? how did you manage that?
    ...through a Canadian contact, the same way everybody else with one did
    10-02-10 12:25 PM
    awww , would've been nice to get my hands on one, guess i'll have to wait
    10-02-10 12:41 PM
    Man, how do I get one?? Lol! And where is that OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 12:39 AM
    Until you've actually tried both models side-by-side, you'll just have to take my word for it

Anyway, since you asked... I'll try to answer

Firstly, the build quality is perfect.
    I've had my 9700 from day one, it's a Hungarian build, and I thought it was very well built.
    My 9780 is a Canadian build and has a perfectly level trackpad with no wobble whatsoever, quiet and precise feeling keypad again with no wobble, no light seepage from anywhere, perfectly fitting bezel, panels and battery cover, ultra-clear and bright screen, no creaking, and no raised or loose buttons. It just feels much more solid that the 9700.

Secondly, OS6 runs so smoothly.
    I've tried every OS5 build released for the 9700, and only lately with .938 did I finally think the phone operated anywhere near it's true potential.
    The 9780 running .214 (which I believe is only the 3rd OS release for this device) runs smoothly, fast, and without any lag/freezing/glitches, right out of the box. Most of my old 9700 apps work fine on 6, and considering it's still a pre-release device running an early leaked OS, I can't fault it in any area. It's hard to believe, but it can only get better still with future OS releases.

Thirdly, the camera is much better.
    The 9700's 3.2MP camera was great, but pics taken on the 9780's 5.0MP rival those from my 8.0MP Nikon digital camera... nuff said

That's just a few reasons why, IMO, the 9780 is in a different league to the 9700
    alright thanks for the heads up. I might have to compare the designs between the two before purchasing it. From the videos that has 9700 running OS 6 doesn't seem laggy, even from the devcon videos posted recently by kevin

Im not really into the camera, nor the apps.I'll be using my ipod touch for the apps and I dont really take pics so the 3.2 will suffice.

One more month to wait according to the rumors .
    10-03-10 12:53 AM
    Hey all,

I know alot of people are gonna stick with the 9700 for OS6 or simply purchase the 9780 over the 9700 as a new user. After trying the torch and deciding it wasn't for me, the blackberry roadmap doesn't look interesting moving forward for the time being.

So anyone going to move from 9700 to 9780 like me?, i love the 9700 but hey may as well stick with a new model for the next 18 months.
    Can you tell me, or link me to a possible post, giving your reasons for not liking the Torch?

Thanks
    10-03-10 01:06 AM
    Hi,

I had the Torch for a few days and found that I am just not a big fan of touch screens, I tended to prefer using the touchpad and the keyboard over the screen and found that the touch screen was getting in my way. That is just a personal preference I realise I have. The quality of the torch etc was fine, just not a design for me.
    10-03-10 02:46 AM
    Already done it

another league? the only difference is the camera and the increase of memory by 256mb. Im guessing ur not a photographer so you've been done out of �300+ for an extra 256mb
    10-03-10 03:38 AM
    phil_uk..

u r right..
    u hv used both and felt the difference.. lets see if 9780 could get the game back right in !

am tryin to get hold of 9780 !... but aparently, no stock was announced !
    10-03-10 05:14 AM
    another league? the only difference is the camera and the increase of memory by 256mb. Im guessing ur not a photographer so you've been done out of �300+ for an extra 256mb
    You have no idea... so stop guessing and making an arse of yourself

10-03-10 05:25 AM
    You have no idea... so stop guessing and making an arse of yourself

He is not guessing, the specs are already out for this phone.

Obviously the only improvements on this device is extra memory and the megapixels on the camera. Everything else is the same or will be the same when 9700 gets the OS6
    10-04-10 01:48 PM
    I will have to also admit the the 9780 build quality is way better. When I first got mine and noticed how tight and well made it was, I thought that maybe my 9700 was getting a little worn. But it is not that, it is the the 9780 really is a better "feeling" phone. The camera is really an improvement but the OS is slick. It is like going from a bloated Windows XP to Win 7. It boots faster and just runs so smoothly.

You would think the 9780 has a faster processor but it is really just that OS6 is "clean and mean", ready to do business!
    10-04-10 01:55 PM
    I will have to also admit the the 9780 build quality is way better. When I first got mine and noticed how tight and well made it was, I thought that maybe my 9700 was getting a little worn. But it is not that, it is the the 9780 really is a better "feeling" phone. The camera is really an improvement but the OS is slick. It is like going from a bloated Windows XP to Win 7. It boots faster and just runs so smoothly.

You would think the 9780 has a faster processor but it is really just that OS6 is "clean and mean", ready to do business!
    Ill have to see the built differences between the two before commenting, however OS 6 will be on both devices so it cant justify the extra $100-200 for spending on a similar phone, well at least for me.
    10-04-10 01:59 PM
    im in the same boat as 9700 fan i didnt like the 9800 and really want a new device since my battery is already on its way out. so ill probably give the 9780 a test then pull the trigger if its everything it promises with os6.
    10-04-10 02:04 PM
    I don't understand why users are trying to rival phil's findings when they have not even USED the 9780....

How can you compare it when you don't even know what it is? Sure, we see the specs, but that's just on paper. Having the device in your hand.. Well, ****, that's a whole other story.

Get the device, then try to shoot it down, not before.
    I have no doubt that the 9780 is in another league as phil mentioned.

P.S I have not used a 9780.
    10-04-10 02:08 PM
    He is not guessing, the specs are already out for this phone.
    He IS guessing my profession, how much I paid for the phone, and how much money I've been 'done out of'...
    10-04-10 02:15 PM
    I don't understand why users are trying to rival phil's findings when they have not even USED the 9780....

How can you compare it when you don't even know what it is? Sure, we see the specs, but that's just on paper. Having the device in your hand.. Well, ****, that's a whole other story.

nice one, i like your "strawberry" red 9700
    10-04-10 02:15 PM

Seriously?? I was pondering if I should reply back to this statement or not.

It does not make a difference if you have the phone or not, if the specs enlist the same processor, resolution, data than it is the SAME thing.

The only thing that is difference in the 9780 is the ram upgrade & camera.

The only thing we (people who do not own 9780) cant comment on is the built quality

OS 6 will be on both devices, however 9780 will have it out of the box and 9700 will have to wait for a leak or an official release.

Plus the bolded part can be applied to the 9780 users who havent tried the 9700 with the OS 6 on it.
    10-04-10 02:38 PM
    nice one, i like your "strawberry" red 9700
    Thank you

It does not make a difference if you have the phone or not, if the specs enlist the same processor, resolution, data than it is the SAME thing.

The only thing that is difference in the 9780 is the ram upgrade & camera.

The only thing we (people who do not own 9780) cant comment on is the built quality
    You only have the specs on paper. Things aren't always what they seem to be...
    10-04-10 02:43 PM

Thanks tt, appreciated man

All Greg and I are trying to do, is answer a few of your questions to the best of our abilities.
    We both own the 9700 and 9780, so comparisons are pretty straight forward.
    Obviously, other than the 'plain fact' answers, the rest is just our opinions.

Official 9780 specs haven't even been released yet, only leaked/rumoured ones.
    All Greg and I can offer regarding these questions is, again, our 'hands-on' opinions.

So, you can either take these opinions now... or leave them, and wait to see for yourselves
    10-04-10 02:48 PM
    Thank you

You only have the specs on paper. Things aren't always what they seem to be...
    you must have missed this image then

and you are right that specs can be changed, but most likely it wont.

Plus based on the people who already have the devices, the specs resembles the one listed above. I can also guarantee you that RIM will make it on the specs listed above.

btw, no one is knocking down on Phil statement. We just asked him how it was superior to him, that is all.
    10-04-10 02:50 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD