Hi all,

got a new torch, awesome handset, really like it as its a good phone!

however, im used to my bold 9700 keyboard which i used to type very well on, what I seem to be having on the torch is if i hit they keys that the silver barrier is dropping down, and also it feels like the other keys on the other side of the same key rail are lifting up. This makes a uncomftable feeling compared to typing on the bold,

can anyone else relate to this , i wonder if I have been unlucky and got one with a loose keyboard lol!

regards,

M
    10-02-10 04:40 AM
    Can't say I can relate... I went from a 9700 keyboard, and the transition was very easy for me. Admittedly, I only had the 9700 for about a week or so.
    10-02-10 05:02 AM
    I've had the 9700 for about a year, and I can honestly say I feel very comfortable typing on the keyboard of the 9800 just as well as the 9700 and I have only had my Torch for two days.
    10-02-10 05:28 AM
    Upgrade from Bold 9000, I feel very comfortible with the Torch's keyboard too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 05:34 AM
    I am coming from a Tour 9630, too me about 500 words or so to adapt to the smaller, louder keyboard, but over all I am pleased with the Torch keyboard.

I have tried to see if other keys are moving whilst I type this but am not feeling anything yet

10-02-10 06:07 AM
    I had a 9700 for about 9 months. I didn't have any problems with the 9800 keyboard but it does have a different feel to it. The phone isn't as thick at the keyboard because of the slider. I wouldn't say its a problem, only different. The only complaint I have with the 9800 keyboard is the buttons click like on the older Curve models instead of like the 9700, it was smooth as silk and didn't make that clicking sound.
    10-02-10 06:28 AM
    I came from the Pearl 8120 and have transitioned very quickly with both the software and hardware keyboard.

At this point I am equally fast with both.

10-02-10 07:52 AM
    i'm comming from a Bold 9000 (best BB keyboard). I think you get used to it quite fast and easy but it is almost to small at least for me...
    10-02-10 08:07 AM
    i used the 9700 form Dec 09 until the release of the Torch and the keyboard seems almost exactly the same...i love the keyboard style
    10-02-10 08:28 AM
    I've been a curve user for the past 3 years and never hald a bold. What's funny is that most bb users say they prefer the curve keyboard because their wpm is a lot faster. I'm actually pretty comfortable with the torch keyboard. However I do use the on-screen keyboard the majority of the time (I find I type faster with the touch screen...I know I'm weird ~_~)

10-02-10 09:01 AM
    what I seem to be having on the torch is if i hit they keys that the silver barrier is dropping down, and also it feels like the other keys on the other side of the same key rail are lifting up. This makes a uncomftable feeling compared to typing on the bold
    Coming from a Bold 9000, I found the Torch's keyboard needed a little getting used to, but I'm comfortable with it now after just a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'silver barrier' you refer to ... do you mean the bezel around the sliding display? As for the key rail feeling like it is moving, maybe you have a bad device. My keyboard is completely solid; only the key I'm pressing moves, everything else stays put. I'd suggest visiting your nearest AT&T store and trying one of the display models to see of the keyboard feels the same or not. The keyboard set shouldn't move at all.
    10-02-10 09:22 AM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.comgoping from 9700 to 9800's keyboard has been smooth as silk. Only time oi have problems is when I'm laying down. For some reason I have to sit up. My 9800's keyboard is nice and tight. You might have a faulty device.

10-02-10 10:29 AM
    I had the 9000 and then the iPhone 4 and I have ZERO problems with the Torch keyboard. I think it's fantastic and has great response and clickiness. A few of my friends wanted to try the phone to see how the keyboard is and they all loved the response and told me they love the keyboard!
    10-02-10 10:31 AM
    My 9800 keyboard is fine to use compared to the 9000 and 9700 I had, kind of annoyed with always have to flip the screen up to access it though. May just get a 9780 when it drops.
    10-02-10 10:32 AM
    Coming from an 9700, 9000 and 8310, I like the Torch keyboard best because it has a more solid feel and lacks the clackiness in older berries.
    10-02-10 10:35 AM
    I came from a 9700 as well. I agree the Torch keyboard takes a little while to get used to because of the raised sides, but I've had no problems with it. I actually quite like the SureType on the virtual keyboard too!
    10-02-10 10:41 AM
    Came from a 9630. No problems with the keyboard other than getting use to the lip at the bottom of the phone.
    10-02-10 12:14 PM
    Are the keys on the torch smaller than the ones on a 9700? I've never physically seen a 9800.
    10-02-10 12:17 PM
    I have found it better than my 9700 actually. I think having it thinner on the back makes for a nicer typing experience.

10-02-10 02:14 PM
    I just switched from the Tour and don't really feel a difference. The railing is almost there to help me hold the phone down as I type, since the Torch seems more top heavy when the slider is up. I type with my fingertips anyway so the bottom of the sliding part doesn't really get in my way. The touch screen though is another story...

10-02-10 02:33 PM
    The only small problem I have is hitting the alt key and typing the couple numbers there like the 478 !! I hold the alt key as I tpye those numbers . Maybe there's a short cut so I don't have to hold the alt key ?????

10-02-10 02:41 PM
    The only small problem I have is hitting the alt key and typing the couple numbers there like the 478 !! I hold the alt key as I tpye those numbers . Maybe there's a short cut so I don't have to hold the alt key ?????

Hitting the Alt key once puts you in number mode for the next keystroke, so you don't have to hold it down while typing a single number.

On the physical keyboard, hold down the Alt + left shift key at the same time to lock it in number mode. Hit the Alt key alone to go back to alpha mode.

On the virtual keyboard, hold the number (123) key down until you see a '123' indicator at the top right of the screen to lock in number mode (there's also a little lock that shows up on the number key itself, but you can't see it while your finger is holding it down). Tap the number key again to go back to alpha mode.
    10-02-10 03:28 PM

Yes there is a short cut. 1st press the alt key the press the shift key. This will lock you in numbers. When your done press alt again and you be back in letters again. Hope this helps.

10-02-10 03:34 PM
    Yes there is a short cut. 1st press the alt key the press the shift key. This will lock you in numbers. When your done press alt again and you be back in letters again. Hope this helps.

12235466Fff...... Yeay !!!

Okay , now I Don't have any problems with the key board ! 111552558788ff

Yeay !

10-02-10 03:55 PM
    I came from the 9000. It takes time to get used to, especially with larger hands you will feel somewhat cramped. The only discernible difference to me was the keys feel flat and stiff compared to previous keyboards.
    10-02-10 04:08 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD