Can anyone tell me why names like the BlackPAD or BerryPAD is being thrown around so much? I've read some posts where people were saying "oh they should've called it the BerryPad!", "or this PAD", "PAD", "PAD", "PAD". "Playbook is a horrible name". blah blah blah.

I don't think RIM ever made any references to the name to have the word "PAD" in it and I'm hoping they never considered any naming convention with the word "PAD".

From a creative standpoint, to me, the word "PAD" is something Apple came up with...iPad. So I don't get why some people out there thought RIM wasn't going to be clever enough to NOT use the word "PAD" and associate itself with femine hygeine products.

I actually love the name Playbook!
    Last edited by Lindersss; 08-07-13 at 11:21 PM.
    10-01-10 11:34 PM
    Well, I guess that depends on how technical you want to get. If you're religious, it's a Tablet... if you're geeky, it's a PADD.
    10-01-10 11:42 PM
    It's certainly not a PlayBook...
    10-02-10 12:15 AM
    Well if you want to be technical, it is a Portable Graphical User Interface-Orientated Computational Device Designed for Input via a Capacitive Touchscreen.

Somebody that actually is a technician could probably think of a more accurate name though.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-02-10 at 01:00 AM.
    10-02-10 12:54 AM
    It is a book to play with.
    10-02-10 01:23 AM
    Well if you want to be technical, it is a Portable Graphical User Interface-Orientated Computational Device Designed for Input via a Capacitive Touchscreen.

Somebody that actually is a technician could probably think of a more accurate name though.
    The PGUIOCDDIVCT. Wow, has a nice ring to it. Can't wait to get mine!!
    10-02-10 04:52 AM

Gramf, that is an riot. Thanks for starting my day off with a good laugh!
    10-02-10 08:11 AM
    Can anyone tell me why names like the BlackPAD or BerryPAD is being thrown around so much? I've read some posts where people were saying "oh they should've called it the BerryPad!", "or this PAD", "PAD", "PAD", "PAD". "Playbook is a horrible name". blah blah blah.

I don't think RIM ever made any references to the name to have the word "PAD" in it and I'm hoping they never considered any naming convention with the word "PAD".

From a creative standpoint, to me, the word "PAD" is something Apple came up with...iPad. So I don't get why some people out there thought RIM wasn't going to be clever enough to NOT use the word "PAD" and associate itself with femine hygeine products.

I actually love the name Playbook!

Call it a TABLET, call it the PLAYBOOK, don't call it a PAD. (it's really getting on my nerves)

IMO, anyone whining that "Playbook" isn't a "good enough" name for the device, simply has far too much time on their hands, to be pondering such inconsequential non-issues. Geez, if they REALLY despise the name that much, how about if they DON'T BUY IT?? Let the rest of us enjoy the product and let them wallow in the corner, bemoaning the name given to this seemingly (and hopefully) awesome device.
    10-02-10 10:49 AM
    dave you seem, angry....
    10-02-10 12:01 PM
    It's certainly not a PlayBook...
    I agree. It's more of a pad or tablet than a book. When I think book, I think something that can be opened.

Still like the name, though.
    10-02-10 12:29 PM
    I have never thought "pad" should have been part of the naming convention.
    My issue is the stupidity of tacking the word "play" onto a device that on paper
    looks to be an amazing powerhouse.

As usual however, the RIM Kool-Aid drinkers can't tolerate an opinion other than
    RIM is the greatest and everything they do is perfect.
    10-02-10 12:39 PM
    Wasn't there a bunch of people saying the same thing when they announced other names? Like the Bold, Storm/Thunder, and Torch?
    10-02-10 12:54 PM
    Wasn't there a bunch of people saying the same thing when they announced other names? Like the Bold, Storm/Thunder, and Torch?
    Actually I got those names.

Pearl - device had a navigation device that looked like, well, a pearl.
    Curve - first full QWERTY BB device with trackball. Threw us a "curve"
    Bold - Bigger size and screen made a "bold" statement.
    Tour - Phone you could take on a "World" tour
    Storm - First full touchscreen BB - expected to take the world by a "storm"
    Torch - In the British sense of "torch (flashlight)" it is the device that
    will lead the way forward.

That was my take at least.
    10-02-10 01:04 PM
    As long as they didn't include the name "Power" in it I'm good with that.
    10-02-10 01:47 PM
    dave you seem, angry....
    no; not angry. that's an inference you chose to make.

My writing style (some CAPS here and there, exclamation marks, and sometimes BOLD may make you think I'm upset. I'm not.) may confuse, as I tend to make my posts shall we say, "dramatic".

And I'll reiterate, if one despises the name of the device, simply don't buy it! I don't think that's an "angry" stance. It's a GOOD SUGGESTION!
    10-02-10 01:49 PM
    To me its a PAD, tablets to me have to have an input interface for a stylus.

a simple touchscreen doesn't make it a tablet in my opinion.
    10-02-10 01:57 PM

Torch was named after the browser company RIM bought.
    10-02-10 02:42 PM
    To me its a PAD, tablets to me have to have an input interface for a stylus.

a simple touchscreen doesn't make it a tablet in my opinion.
    I agree. Tablet reminds me either pills or the things Moses brought down from Sinai.
    10-02-10 02:43 PM
    My issue is the stupidity of tacking the word "play" onto a device that on paper

As usual however, the RIM Kool-Aid drinkers can't tolerate an opinion other than
    lol, so it should have been called a Powerbook then huh?
    10-02-10 02:59 PM

I really don't get your beef with the name. You complain that "play" isn't appropriate for this "amazing powerhouse", yet YOU want to use a name already taken (powerbook) which is BUSH LEAGUE, AND ILLEGAL, as Apple would sue the pants off RIM in a microsecond. I just don't get you!! Seems you are in the minority, with your objection to RIM's name for the device. Is that going to keep you from buying one? Just to make a statement?
    10-02-10 04:43 PM

Pearl - device had a navigation device that looked like, well, a pearl.
    Curve - first full QWERTY BB device with trackball. Threw us a "curve"
    Bold - Bigger size and screen made a "bold" statement.
    Tour - Phone you could take on a "World" tour
    Storm - First full touchscreen BB - expected to take the world by a "storm"

That was my take at least.
    Those are some pretty figurative and opinionated meanings.

I think they named it the Curve cause it was curvy like a woman, hence why so many women buy it...
    G
    oing through highschool seeing people with Pearls, Curves, and Bolds, no one cared less what the name was. Now in college, there is still no care for the name and meaning behind it. The average 40y.o. cares less than both (my father would have bought a Storm 2 even if it were called the BB Clicky).
    Musings on largely successful Motorola:

Droid X: uhm er, 'ex'tremely large screen.
    Droid: Self-explanatory.
    Droid 2: ...
    Droid World Edition: ...
    Razr: Ok cause it was EDGY (woah cool! so not cheesy, yet they sold quite a few i hear).
    i890: 890th version? what?

Companies may think about meaning behind the name, but in the end it's just a name. However they market the name is the killer (we've yet to really see this).
    IMO PlayBook is excellent. I am a consumer, and if i ever have an enterprising job at this point, i will probably be using an iPhone by choice of the board. I don't care if the name alludes to playing with an etch-a-sketch, or networking, or email, or maxi-pads. W/E. It sounds catchy, that's all that matters from a marketing stand-point, from there you can twist it into anything.

Back to the OP, it is indeed a Tablet. Pad sounds linear and dry like the PAD of post-its on my desk (lol inferred meanings again, but we're talking about classification here, not titles). Then again, tablets were last made with hammer and chisel on a slab of rock. Maybe it's a combination like a p-la-blet. Or maybe it's over-glorified just enough to a point where we'll think we need to spend money to get one.

All in all, removing the classification as far away from Apple's Pad as possible is best.
    Last edited by egsurfer700; 10-02-10 at 04:50 PM.
    10-02-10 04:44 PM
    I want to see a convergence gadget, one that combines a PlayBook with a Gameboy. Maybe call it a GameBook, or something else.
    10-02-10 06:55 PM
    I want to see a convergence gadget, one that combines a PlayBook with a Gameboy. Maybe call it a GameBook, or something else.
    Hey I know, they could call it a Playboy! THink anyone would sue over that?
    10-02-10 07:47 PM
    anyone who complains strongly about the name, this being playbook, aren't whining hard enough. Seriously, if thats the biggest grief other than it being a "me-too" iPad device then I say its doing its job!

Cause you really can't complain about a new OS that actually does a lot more from the start. Everything thats new doesn't just have a million apps to begin with (but luckily has strong 3rd part support behind it with the tools to back it up) and unlike the iPad, the PlayBook actually has a niche and a specified task in mind. QNX isn't something that was created yesterday, they have a presence in the market place thats spans more than just a few years (1982 to be exact)

Tablet in my opinion has always be a touchscreen enabled device folded flat as was the case with a tablet pc (laptops that twist to form a touch device with stylus input)

Apple taking something like a notepad and thinking hey lets milk it on that isn't something that will change what it really is, a tablet - unfortunately the pad has female products written all over it.

tablets are just fine, the playbook name is fine, its the meaning behind it not the formfactor. do you really think the BB torch is a torch? a BB storm looks like a storm? seriously?!
    Blackberry PlayBook tablet.

people are taking the name of PLAY and BOOK too literally...

yes the words both conjure meanings other than what is presented but it can also be put to good use in regards to marketing to consumers and business users.

It's hard not to cringe at some of the stuff people write negatively about this product that isn't even out yet especially when trying to make out that the iPad is the only true portable touch device out there.
    Last edited by zensen; 10-02-10 at 08:46 PM.
    10-02-10 08:23 PM
    blackberry should have a link on their website to dictionary.com for the meaning of playbook so people understand it means a business tool and not some big toy like lots of people are taking it as
    10-02-10 08:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD