RIM stock falls 3% after PlayBook tablet announcement - Sep. 28, 2010

Read this article about RIM stock dropping and was shocked at first because of the PlayBook announcement, but after thinking on it, I understand why. Apparently even though analysts think the PlayBook is a great device, the failure to announce a price or even ballpark for the device, and their failure to explain the tethering properly (article says it will be WiFi only to get on Net) is worrying some people. My guess is the fact that they are waiting so long to release this thing isn't helping either. Why should this have been different than any phone release, officially announce it and then its available roughly a month later. A 3++ month announcement to product available is kinda crazy in the tech world.

This OS and device look great RIM, you far exceeded my and many others expectations and impressed even a lot of the people who beat up on you daily in these forums, but people want to be able to buy it in both Tablet and phone form within a month or so of announcement. 2011 is far off and rumors of no phone running it till after an OS7 are disturbing, at least to me.
    09-29-10 06:31 AM
    I don't see why to bother with shares. Those guys are so far away from reallity, they just play with money which is not their money (make money with). Let the market (costumers) do its job and we will see.
    As long as RIM produces excellent products as it currently do, I'm happy.
    09-29-10 06:53 AM
    It's like...they aren't paying attention. I feel like Mike Lazaridis is walking around with blinders on. Ya know, like the management is a bunch of fossils and they need a younger generation added to team. Just my observation.
    09-29-10 06:54 AM
    you people do know they are in the middle of a buy back as well right?

stock wont rise until late november if it does.

remember it was down to like $38 two years ago. and then went to like $85.

There are companies doing way worse, its just that the media is focusing on RIM.
    09-29-10 06:57 AM
    Stocks rise and fall. Doesn't matter to me personally since I'm not a stakeholder.
    The writer doesn't seem to know that the tablet pairs with a Blackberry device, accessing 3G.
    The article is therefore flawed and I don't put much stock in it....pun intended.
    09-29-10 06:59 AM
    Stocks prices fluctuate all the time and RIM is not an exception.
    09-29-10 07:41 AM
    It's like...they aren't paying attention. I feel like Mike Lazaridis is walking around with blinders on. Ya know, like the management is a bunch of fossils and they need a younger generation added to team. Just my observation.
    I agree. They really need someone like Kevin on the board. Seriously. Have a direct line to the customers and blackberry/crackberry addicts......
    09-29-10 07:52 AM
    you people do know they are in the middle of a buy back as well right?

stock wont rise until late november if it does.

remember it was down to like $38 two years ago. and then went to like $85.

There are companies doing way worse, its just that the media is focusing on RIM.
    Too funny, now it's the media's fault that RIM stock has fallen, has nothing to do with the fact that besides this "tablet" (which hasn't released yet) they have nothing comparable (at least hardwarewise, which the last time I checked is a key factor in most sales these days) to other smartphones out there, but I suppose that has nothing to do with it.
    09-29-10 08:45 AM
    I agree. They really need someone like Kevin on the board. Seriously. Have a direct line to the customers and blackberry/crackberry addicts......
    Completely AGREE....
    09-29-10 08:46 AM
    Apple's stocks always drops after a big announcement. this is no different.
    09-29-10 09:11 AM
    EXACTLY

RIM needs to remember the old addage- under promise, over deliver. While there is excitement over this announcement, RIM could ensure success by making PlayBook available 4th qtr (in time for holidays) with 3G/4G ready for a reasonable price.

You cannot ignore the level of anticipation of OS 6 & 9800 (particularly on Crackberry Forums). The world was paying attention to what RIM was going to show off and when they finally released the Torch- it was a rather tepid response. The people running RIM need to accept responsibility and pay attention to their customers and their competitors.
    09-29-10 09:16 AM
    Apple's stocks always drops after a big announcement. this is no different.
    Exactly my point.
    09-29-10 09:23 AM
    Too funny, now it's the media's fault that RIM stock has fallen, has nothing to do with the fact that besides this "tablet" (which hasn't released yet) they have nothing comparable (at least hardwarewise, which the last time I checked is a key factor in most sales these days) to other smartphones out there, but I suppose that has nothing to do with it.
    I agree. There's always speculation and anybody with brains wants earnings. If the product is not shipping this quarter I understand how investors can feel.

If any shooting in the foot is happening I'd say it's over not having Blackberry 6 on Verizon and not marketing in a way that lets people realize how the Blackberry in any flavor is such a good messaging machine. The market does like toys before tools so maybe that's it.

In the meanwhile I feel like I shot myself in the foot by getting a Droid X last week and wonder if I'll be shooting myself to return my it and reactivate my Storm as I wait for Verizon Blackberry 6 or iPhone.

09-29-10 09:48 AM
    The stock market is a poor indicator. It baffles me when at the end of the day analyst attribute unrelated events to why the stock market is up or down. If you follow it regularly it goes up and down when it wants..

That said I'm not really feeling this tablet.

1. it's not here now. whats the point of announcing it?
    2. By the time it comes out it wouldn't be so "hot".
    3. No prices or details other than hey we got a cool tablet too.
    4. By march next year there will be at least 10 tablets similar to the iPAD on the market
    09-29-10 09:53 AM
    Yeah but usually when a company formally announces a device where they hold it up and its working, even RIM, they also say it will be available this day and start at this price, an its usually not too far out. Apple with all there gear, RIM with the Torch, curve3g, etc. This PlayBook announcement, while showing something awesome, didn't give a good window on availability (early 2011 could be 4 to 6 or even 8 months depending on how you define "early"), and zippy on pricing.
    09-29-10 09:55 AM
    To those in these thread who think the fact that RIM stocks fell a bit yesterday is a big deal or a "sign" of something to happen in the future, PLEASE! restrain yourselves of investing in stocks.
    09-29-10 10:01 AM
    Yeah and recess is over, back to class young padawan jk
    09-29-10 10:52 AM
    To those in these thread who think the fact that RIM stocks fell a bit yesterday is a big deal or a "sign" of something to happen in the future, PLEASE! restrain yourselves of investing in stocks.
    Or, go for it and see how your portfolio looks in a few years, if you have any value left in it that is.
    09-29-10 11:00 AM
    Why should this have been different than any phone release, officially announce it and then its available roughly a month later. A 3++ month announcement to product available is kinda crazy in the tech world.

This OS and device look great RIM, you far exceeded my and many others expectations and impressed even a lot of the people who beat up on you daily in these forums, but people want to be able to buy it in both Tablet and phone form within a month or so of announcement. 2011 is far off and rumors of no phone running it till after an OS7 are disturbing, at least to me.
    Agreed. The device, OS and hardware all are great. But, no release date is a bummer. Especially if it is going to be more than 3+ months. Maybe now other manufacturers will see the specs on this device, and make an even "better" before or shortly after this one comes out. And yes, I also find it disturbing that this OS will be available on smartphones after OS7. You are going to have the OS the media and tons of users want on their smartphones on the PlayBook, and then leave the smartphones basically with what they have already and what they have been taking heat for in the press.

Oh well, time will tell. Hopefully they push things out quickly.
    09-29-10 11:32 AM
    They've grown revenue from $2 billion to what should be $20 billion(at the end of this fiscal year) in five years. They are the only smartphone manufacturer to post steady increases in profit since the launch of the iPhone. They have made their product available on 565(and counting!) carriers world-wide. They have a product that is unmatched in the enterprise world and yet still appeals to consumers. Each quarter brings record revenue and profit, and they just announced a product that is more advanced than the competition. What exactly are they doing wrong from a business standpoint? I'm curious.

Oh, and the stock is up 3% today. Does this mean they're geniuses?
    09-29-10 11:39 AM
    The timing of the announcement and release is to allow companies to plan 2011 budgets. You know it's coming, you know you want it, then budget for a bunch of them. If I was to do a budget for them right now, I'd budget $1K and assume I'll be able to buy more than budgeted, or $759 and assume I'll buy a few less.
    09-29-10 02:50 PM
    As I said previously stock prices fluctuate and in the end of the day, RIM stock price went back to the $50.00 mark. Moral of the story: much to do about nothing.

Research In Motion Ltd (RIM.TO) Quote| Reuters.com
    09-29-10 03:19 PM
    Guys the phone will come after the tablet CX has left so many clues that this is going to happen . A couple days before devcon I asked him I am tired of waiting and always being told soon and soon and cx replied saying we will see in what direction rim is going at devcon and he said if you listen to jim conference call in the latest earnings he hints on what's to come . He said something like the things coming for rim will be will be things that know one thought we could do its no an exact quote but ya that's what they showed us. So cx has said they are done getting pushed around its there time to push back so believe it an be patient its going to be a great ride. Early 2011 is fine the end of january or mid February
    09-29-10 03:26 PM
    Not exactly much reason to be concerned here. You wouldnt have seen a boost in stock price unless they had a RELEASE DATE & PRICE & USABLE DEMO. So far the only thing RIM has said is they have a powerful tablet and its coming out 3+ months from now.

I have a sick feeling that Apple will be smacking this thing down with force come January, seeing as how thats when Apple will most likely be announcing their new iPad.
    09-29-10 04:00 PM
    @Tumer

I realize only time will tell, but that's pretty much the same song and dance they gave us about the Storm 2, not that it's a bad device, but how many times are they gonna say "be patient, have faith" and keep the masses believing it.
    09-29-10 05:45 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD