I live in the Pinehurst-Southernpines-Rockingham area in NC. We do not have 3G coverage. An AT&T store rep told me we were getting 3G sometime next month in October 2010. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
    09-28-10 02:30 PM
    AT&T has a hard time coming up with 3G service areas. Most of it is only available in major metro areas. Not cost effective to put up those expensive towers where they don’t have a huge possible profit to be made. It’s all about demographics and $$! AT&T seems to be pouring $$ into its cable and internet infrastructure and forgot about its cellular operation as you can see by its footprint compared to Big Red!! Listen to AT&T commercials they seem to more interested in laying cable/internet to every Tom, **** and Harry. I guess they figure people will go elsewhere for that or settle for 2G service.
    10-01-10 03:02 PM
    Yes, I found out today, the AT&T store rep lied to us. My niece took her New Torch back to the AT&T store to complain that the response was slow on the Torch. When she would try to text message someone she would type several letters then a few seconds later the phone would catch up and show the letters on the screen. The AT&T store rep told us that was because the Towers in our area were being worked on and being upgraded to 3G service. I called AT&T customer service today and the CSR on the phone told me she was showing no records of towers being upgraded in my zip code in the near future. Why would the AT&T store rep lie to our faces just to get us out of his hair!
    10-01-10 03:12 PM
    typing on the phone doesnt pertain to the cell signal...that's a phone issue. you should check to see what she has running that is slowing her phone down.
    10-01-10 03:16 PM
    That is exactly what I told her, I told her when we left the store the CSR made no sense and was trying to get rid of us. We left out of frustration. She has to soft reboot the phone several times a day. I agree, there must be some program running that is causing a memory leak, or do you think the newest OS upgrade will solve her issues?
    10-01-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD