09-28-10 01:21 PM
    Yup, good stuff. BlackBerry 7 will be the first step towards the QNX OS apparently.
    09-28-10 01:42 PM
    "Investors may also be waiting to see if RIM transitions its smartphones from the BlackBerry operating system to the QNX system. QNX is generally well regarded and could help RIM release more powerful, app-friendly BlackBerry models. However, transitioning to a new operating system may not be an easy feat and could take time. Susquehanna Financial's Jeff Fidacaro estimates it could take two years to fully transition and upgrade RIM's 50 million-plus subscriber base to the new platform. "

RIM Shares Fall Even After Debut Of Eagerly Awaited Tablet - WSJ.com
    09-28-10 02:22 PM
    2 years is far too long for RIM to take for this transition. They have 6-8 months at the most. I would say that if they don't do QNX on handsets that are LTE capable in the initial 2011 release timeframe, they'll keep incurring the same bad reviews and industry direction they're currently getting.
    09-28-10 02:55 PM
    2 years is far too long for RIM to take for this transition. They have 6-8 months at the most. I would say that if they don't do QNX on handsets that are LTE capable in the initial 2011 release timeframe, they'll keep incurring the same bad reviews and industry direction they're currently getting.
    +1 Agreed.
    09-28-10 02:58 PM
    must be a cold day somewhere, we agree
    09-28-10 03:00 PM

Eh... I think a year is more like it. Releasing this on the tablet is a great, and safe way to test out the OS without releasing something on your core systems (phones) that could cause more bad press. BB is still 50+ million strong, and you do not want to risk loosing your core enterprise base because you want to rush something to the consumer market. Security is the number one reason companies use BB's over other platforms.
    09-28-10 03:11 PM
    On this one, I have to agree with you, Civic.

09-28-10 03:14 PM
    Oh really?

...and how long did it take Apple for the PowerPC to Intel codebase transition?
    ...how long did it take M$ for the Vista->7 transition?

****, most Android users will wait well beyond that time-frame for official/non-beta 2.2 for their device.

These artificial limits imposed by "up-to-the-minute" techophiles are not realistic in terms of the business transition practices of ALL major tech companies.
    09-28-10 03:17 PM
    I agree with Meske on this one. Playbook should be a good test run for the new OS. A solid year makes sense.
    09-28-10 03:20 PM
    lol, non-realistic time limits from us is what drives these companies to make the necessary changes they need to make to survive. If we wouldn't have been so critical of RIM's offerings, I don't think they would have scooped up Torch Mobile or QNX to satisfy our needs. We'd still be rocking Old Blue for all we know... lol
    09-28-10 03:21 PM
    I concur, someone at RIM should be paying attention to the clock on this one.

Even PlayBook launching in 2011 is pushing the time frame of relevance here. If the PlayBook was released 4th qtr this year, it would be more successful (plus available for the holidays!) However 2011 you have carriers officially turning on LTE services, other tablet competitors (Samsung, HP, HTC) would also be releasing their devices, PLUS Apple will most likely be introducing a refresh (with updated specs).

Unless between now and release, RIM decides to update hardware specs to remain competative, which would be a smart move albeit uncharacteristic of RIM.

Does anyone know why does it seem that RIM activily avoids the latest/newest hardware specs? If Playbook is being planned for 2011, why not put in the marvel 1.5 Tri-core processor (or similar) and 2+ GB of RAM? and I havent heard of a micro SD expansion slot or did I miss it?
    09-28-10 03:22 PM
    Does anyone know why does it seem that RIM activily avoids the latest/newest hardware specs? If Playbook is being planned for 2011, why not put in the marvel 1.5 Tri-core processor (or similar) and 2+ GB of RAM? and I havent heard of a micro SD expansion slot or did I miss it?
    That's just RIM. However, you must have missed the part about the devising being labled as 16GB and 32GB respectively on the back. How much more storage do you need? The 1GB of RAM is just RAM (let's hope QNX removes the current JVM running out of RAM limitation of BBOS), so that's already 2x the amount of RAM the iPad has now. I don't see the iPad going to 2GB even when 2.0 version comes out.
    09-28-10 03:26 PM

Does anyone know why does it seem that RIM activily avoids the latest/newest hardware specs? If Playbook is being planned for 2011, why not put in the marvel 1.5 Tri-core processor (or similar) and 2+ GB of RAM? and I haven't heard of a micro SD expansion slot or did I miss it?
    You can't look at the CPU speed alone with this release. QNX handles the processor in a different way than a windows, iOS, android, etc. OS. So although the clock speed is 1GHz, it may benchmark higher against other processors at the same clock speed (or it could be slower, ye never know!).

Also, batter life is a huge thing in these books.

Last, I think their taking a move out of the apple playbook... include only what's necessary to keep this thing current for a year, so we can "upgrade" the processor / ram / OS / resolution / whatever next year and sell a whole bunch more.
    09-28-10 04:26 PM
    Last, I think their taking a move out of the apple playbook... include only what's necessary to keep this thing current for a year, so we can "upgrade" the processor / ram / OS / resolution / whatever next year and sell a whole bunch more.
    And this is what they've been doing for the last 2 years and why they are in such a bad position right now. Technology for today, not tomorrow.
    09-28-10 05:25 PM
    And this is what they've been doing for the last 2 years and why they are in such a bad position right now. Technology for today, not tomorrow.
    You're confusing what I said with lack of innovation on said cycles.
    09-28-10 06:09 PM
    I hope it does take at least a year. This way I don't miss anything when i get my Droid soon. LOL.

Seriously I would love an LTE Storm running this QNX OS, but that is at least several few months away.

They are talking Q1/Q2 for teh Playbook and by then you'll have Android and Palm tablets connected to LTE with better, although not SOOOO much better specs. RIM may miss a window here like Palm did when they put the Pre on Sprint.

Either way it is great to see where RIM is going. Hopefully we see an S3 in Q1 or Q2 2011 with good specs, QNX based OS, and LTE. That alone would bring RIM back into the limelight as long as it all works. They are getting good press on the tablet, but plenty of folks are saying its a new OS, and why didn't they let anyone get hands on? How far out is this thing?

A lot of cautious optimism I guess...
    09-28-10 08:36 PM
    So OS6 only just came out on one phone, some others are coming out slowly, and now there will be one more BB OS iteration before we QNX? So the interim plan is that you have to carry around a tablet for possibly two years to have a decent OS and the phone is nothing more than an overpriced modem and voice! Wow sounds awesome!!!
    09-28-10 09:33 PM
    I hope it does take at least a year. This way I don't miss anything when i get my Droid soon. LOL.

Seriously I would love an LTE Storm running this QNX OS, but that is at least several few months away.

They are talking Q1/Q2 for teh Playbook and by then you'll have Android and Palm tablets connected to LTE with better, although not SOOOO much better specs. RIM may miss a window here like Palm did when they put the Pre on Sprint.

Either way it is great to see where RIM is going. Hopefully we see an S3 in Q1 or Q2 2011 with good specs, QNX based OS, and LTE. That alone would bring RIM back into the limelight as long as it all works. They are getting good press on the tablet, but plenty of folks are saying its a new OS, and why didn't they let anyone get hands on? How far out is this thing?

A lot of cautious optimism I guess...
    Except for one very finite piece of giant detail... the Android tablets will be sold by carriers and WILL REQUIRE a data contract/service to own. The Playbook... not so much from the looks of things.

I haven't seen any info stating that the Android tablets coming out (Galaxy mostly) won't require data plans to own. I could be wrong on this, but you know if Verizon is selling them, they'll want to sell you a data plan along with it.
    09-28-10 09:41 PM
    Difference is the "PlayBook" is starting with specs that are worthwhile and should be at or above the competition for the next 12 - 18 months.
    09-28-10 10:14 PM
    The quote said they estimate it'll take two years to transisition over all 50 million subscribers to QNX, not release new phones. They'll absolutely have QNX based phones before that but it'll take a long time before they can get every existing BB user over to the QNX based OS.
    09-28-10 11:28 PM
    Who cares about reviews when they increase revenue and profit? What did all the glowing reviews of the Palm Pre do for them?

They've grown the revenue 1000% in five years, I think they know more about their business than some blogger.
    09-29-10 12:02 AM
    The quote said they estimate it'll take two years to transisition over all 50 million subscribers to QNX, not release new phones. They'll absolutely have QNX based phones before that but it'll take a long time before they can get every existing BB user over to the QNX based OS.
    That.

It may take longer. There are still 8700 and 8800 out there. It depends how fast consumers upgrade their phones. And RIM has no control over that.
    09-29-10 06:13 AM
    exactly! 2 years to move all 50mil users. Not 2 years before the first phone drops.
    09-29-10 07:07 AM
    Except for one very finite piece of giant detail... the Android tablets will be sold by carriers and WILL REQUIRE a data contract/service to own. The Playbook... not so much from the looks of things.

I haven't seen any info stating that the Android tablets coming out (Galaxy mostly) won't require data plans to own. I could be wrong on this, but you know if Verizon is selling them, they'll want to sell you a data plan along with it.
    I agree with you, having a seperate data plan for a tablet suck. And that is a major hindrance for tablets to be adopted by the avarage consumer. As for the playbook, if you already have a data plan; then the only cost you have to worry is the cost of the device.
    09-29-10 07:18 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD