After numerous people running into upgrading and downgrading issues... and losing their data in the process, I decided to collaborate a number of my ideas into a simple, straight-forward procedure. I hope this thread will be able to assist and aid anyone who is looking to upgrade or downgrade their OS on their BlackBerry!

Notice : This process is not absolutely necessary, you do not have to follow this process... but I feel it gives a cleaner install while still preserving third party applications and data Once again, you do not have to follow this procedure, but I have always had good luck and I highly recommend it! Use this procedure (BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com) if you do not prefer to follow mine... or follow the Beginners Version below.

************************************************** ************************************

Basic Procedure (Beginners)
    1. Backup Phone in DesktopManager.
    2. Unplug phone and close DM.
    3. Install new OS .exe file.
    4. Plug phone back into PC and let drivers install.
    5. Launch DM and proceed with update of OS.
    6. Make sure you pick Backup Data and Apps (including Messages) during the backup!!!
    7. DO NOT under any circumstance unplug the phone or use the PC while the update is in progress. Do not let screen saver kick in either.
    8. Unplug and use phone ONLY once the upgrade procedure states that it's finished by the DM update software on the screen.

Special thanks to JRSCCivic98 for recommending a "Basic Procedure" and providing these steps. Hopefully this will reduce the number of people worried about having their device wiped, as if all of the warnings and the link to the BB 101 procedure were not enough... haha

************************************************** ************************************

Advanced Procedure

I strongly advise not attempting this procedure (or any upgrade procedure) if you are not completely comfortable with your BlackBerry device and the upgrade procedure as a whole. Following this guide will almost certainly result in a non-functioning device if the procedure is not completely understood. Please take the time to familiarize yourself with your BlackBerry, Desktop Manager and the general upgrade procedure before attempting. Beginners and advanced users alike run into issues when upgrading, the difference is knowing how to help yourself out of these issues.

If you do not have the knowledge to perform this complete process, along with the knowledge of what to do if something goes wrong, then DO NOT CONTINUE (as you will more than likely brick your Berry and not know what to do!)

'Step Zero' : Synchronize your BlackBerry with your PC to update all of your contacts and calendars in Outlook. This provides another "safety blanket" in case the backup/restore procedure skips over something...
    1. Backup your device with Desktop Manager (Download from HERE)
    2. Backup your third party applications (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/)
    3. Download the desired device OS (from whatever your source may be and make sure the OS is for your specific device!)
    4. Uninstall all prior OSes from your PC (Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Uninstall Prior OS versions!)
      When downgrading you need to make sure all OSes newer than the one you are rolling back to are removed
    5. Install the OS to your PC (run the .exe file)
    6. Delete the vendor.xml file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)
      You may need to search hidden files on your hard drive for a ghost copy of vendor.xml also
    7. Wipe your handheld HowTo Wipe with JL_cmdr or use CrackMem (See footnote warning)
    8. Optimize the OS to your liking (Memory Optimization Procedure or CrackMem)
    9. Load the OS with AppLoader (using DesktopManager) (Usually takes anywhere between 30min - 1hr)
    10. Restore Third Party Apps (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...cations-53201/)
    11. Restore from Backup in Step 1

Please note : There are many variations to this install process and some steps are not necessary. Specifically, you may not need to uninstall all of the old OS versions (step 4), but if you do please make sure you have the original OS .exe (install file) in case you need to roll back. Step 8 (Memory Optimization) is also not required, but is highly recommended! To aid with the install process, I highly recommend downloading and using CrackMem or CrackUtil(by Pete6). This will simplify the procedure and will help in Steps 6 & 7 along with memory optimization.

Warning : The wipe process detailed in Step 7 completely removes all OSes from the device, resulting in a '507' error. This is normal (relax). If your DesktopManager / AppLoader does not recognize the device and allow you to load the OS, please follow this link : BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com Please do not skip Step 7 in the process, as it is the entire backbone behind this install process. This step makes this process a clean install and all of the other steps are built entirely around it to ensure you have backups of your data and applications. Also, to avoid any unnecessary headaches, make sure your Berry is connected directly to your PC via USB, not through a USB hub! If the above method does not help in connecting to the device, reboot your PC and attempt the same process.

This thread is a collaboration of information. The original links that I borrowed information from are included within the thread and link directly to the original thread the information was borrowed from!! Inspiration from this thread came from the following where I initially detailed this procedure : http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/pro...25/index2.html
    Special thanks to Crucial_Xtreme for his help and support. Also, big thanks to JeffH and JRSCCivic98 for pointing out misunderstandings in the original variation, and much thanks for the wonderful CrackMem application and advice from Pete6 (post 168 on this thread) to include sync in the process

Originally published by bmcclure937 on CrackBerry. Please do not copy this guide unless you provide a link to the original thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 12-08-08 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Updated and Added Basic Procedure
    07-19-08 05:31 PM
    Good idea to repost this.
    07-19-08 05:49 PM
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but all that should be required is that you check to make sure you have the old OS loaded on your PC and if not, that you load it after uninstalling the newest that you tried and didn't like. Once that's done, all you do is run Application Loader and it'll notify you that it found an older OS on the PC then on the handheld and ask you if you want to downgrade. If you answer "Yes" then the OS load process is exactly the same as when you upgrade, except the phone is rolled back to whatever older OS is loaded. The backup/restore procedure that the Applicaton Loader does is exactly the same as it does during an upgrade and it will grab all user data and 3rd party apps.

If anyone is loosing data during this process then they are either skipping the backup option (with 3rd party option "set") or they get giddy when the phone hourglasses for 15minutes after the OS load (while it's registering all onboard cods) and they unplug the phone. The last step after that long hourglass session is the data restore and if you unplug during this you will not get your data or programs back since you just interrupted the complete process.
    07-19-08 06:13 PM
    GREAT JOB BM!!! Nice. This will help out alot of members.
    07-19-08 07:09 PM
    Perhaps I'm missing something here, but all that should be required is that you check to make sure you have the old OS loaded on your PC and if not, that you load it after uninstalling the newest that you tried and didn't like. Once that's done, all you do is run Application Loader and it'll notify you that it found an older OS on the PC then on the handheld and ask you if you want to downgrade. If you answer "Yes" then the OS load process is exactly the same as when you upgrade, except the phone is rolled back to whatever older OS is loaded. The backup/restore procedure that the Applicaton Loader does is exactly the same as it does during an upgrade and it will grab all user data and 3rd party apps.

If anyone is loosing data during this process then they are either skipping the backup option (with 3rd party option "set") or they get giddy when the phone hourglasses for 15minutes after the OS load (while it's registering all onboard cods) and they unplug the phone. The last step after that long hourglass session is the data restore and if you unplug during this you will not get your data or programs back since you just interrupted the complete process.
    uuh huu...what he said...
    07-19-08 07:13 PM

uuh huu...what he said...
    That is fine to do it that way... should work without any problem

The process I detailed is a cleaner install process (because it wipes the device of all old OS files) This also backs up and restores data and apps, so you do not lose anything during the wiping of the device.

As I stated, you do not need to follow this process, but I recommend it for the cleanest, least problematic install. Many people have no issues with the way you mentioned above... but there have been some problems when loading new OSes that are caused by not having a fresh install on your device!
    07-19-08 07:45 PM
    Very nice I wish I had this a few weeks ago. Nicely put, thanks!
    07-19-08 08:53 PM
    ^^ yes, this is the best way to upgrade your OS. It is the cleanest way. I do this every time and I recommend everyone else to also. IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 10:13 PM
    I have a concern with Step 5. If you delete the previous OS, doesn't that unnecessarily complicate rollback? There was a guy here a while back (before your procedure) who had upgraded from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196 and was trying to go back, but Verizon no longer had 4.2.2.176 on their website for download. I don't know if he ever found a copy or not. If he hadn't deleted it, he'd have had it and roll-back would have been trivial.
    07-19-08 10:25 PM
    I have a concern with Step 5. If you delete the previous OS, doesn't that unnecessarily complicate rollback? There was a guy here a while back (before your procedure) who had upgraded from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196 and was trying to go back, but Verizon no longer had 4.2.2.176 on their website for download. I don't know if he ever found a copy or not. If he hadn't deleted it, he'd have had it and roll-back would have been trivial.
    I go to the Control Panel and remove the OS. But, I still have the OS's saved to my comp. just for that reason.
    07-19-08 10:43 PM
    I go to the Control Panel and remove the OS. But, I still have the OS's saved to my comp. just for that reason.
    The difficulty with trying to make something fool-proof is well-known, but perhaps BMcClure might consider adding a caveat to Step 5. Something along the lines of "Uninstall the previous OS only if you have the download file and can reinstall it in the event you need to roll-back."
    07-19-08 11:00 PM
    The difficulty with trying to make something fool-proof is well-known, but perhaps BMcClure might consider adding a caveat to Step 5. Something along the lines of "Uninstall the previous OS only if you have the download file and can reinstall it in the event you need to roll-back."
    Sounds like a good idea Jeff. I'm sure he'll see this in the morning. But I agree, it is better to be safe rather than sorry.
    07-19-08 11:09 PM
    The process I detailed is a cleaner install process (because it wipes the device of all old OS files) This also backs up and restores data and apps, so you do not lose anything during the wiping of the device.
    I just want to make sure you understand that the steps you have outlined above are already automatically done by the DM Loader when it loads an OS. I want to make sure you understand that the loader does in fact wipes the old OS off the phone prior to loading the new one. It doesn't load on top of whatever's there. The processes are as below (again, these are all automated by the stock loader).

1) Backs up user data and 3rd party programs (if asked to include them by checkmark)
    2) Does a device wipe (the same as javaloader -u wipe -a -f).
    3) Number 2 initiates a reboot and on bootup the loader attaches to low level to flash ROM with *.sfi file from the OS load.
    4) Device reboots again and then loader loads the filesystem.
    5) Device reboots and hourglasses for about 15min while registering the filesystem.
    6) Loader reattaches to phone and restores 3rd party apps and user data.
    7) Loader indicates a successful OS load.

Again, I'm don't want you to think I'm arguing here, but I just want to tell everyone what the loader does automatically in case anyone didn't know.

Like all the pros here, I honestly don't understand why so many people mess up an OS load. I think they just watch the BB screen too much and disconnect it before it's done thinking something has errored out. I can vouch that for a split second, the BB will error out with Java errors after the ROM flash and before the filesystem load. These users have got to be jumping the gun on the load instead of being patient. Either that or they PCs/Laptops go into sleep mode or something else to interrupt the load. It puzzles me I tell ya, but if anyone can frack up an OS load it's someone who hasn't done one before and who "thinks" too much during the process. Just do what the screen on your PC says people.
    07-19-08 11:10 PM
    Something to add to this also. The procedure should be devided between the differences of if you're downgrading or upgrading.

Remember a key piece of info here. Certain loader file (vendor.xml being one of them) will get removed when you "uninstall" an OS version off the PC via Add/Remove in Control Panel. It's best to suggest that people uninstall the files before they install the new ones (unless they wish to have downgrade/rollback capability already there). Of course this depends on if they already had a previous version installed, in which case they would just uninstall the new OS version files with Add/Remove and then rerun the Loader in DM and the downgrade would trigger immediately.
    07-19-08 11:18 PM
    Some help please. My brother has a curve 8310. with the batery on it reboots itself every 10 seconds. I have tried the "no batery then insert batery before restart procedure", have tried to wipe it with javaloader but I�m not sure i�m doing the right thing. I see a lot of commands and letters but it does not actually say it has been wiped. i have tried to re-install the OS many times but it just keeps rebooting. Any ideas ???
    07-19-08 11:39 PM
    This post from Pete6 might help you: http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/fau...e-boots-52991/. Try another battery and see if it helps.
    07-20-08 07:26 AM
    Yep. Already tried with my battery which was fully charged and nothing.

07-20-08 08:54 AM
    Some help please. My brother has a curve 8310. with the batery on it reboots itself every 10 seconds. I have tried the "no batery then insert batery before restart procedure", have tried to wipe it with javaloader but I�m not sure i�m doing the right thing. I see a lot of commands and letters but it does not actually say it has been wiped. i have tried to re-install the OS many times but it just keeps rebooting. Any ideas ???
    Look at this, on wiping with JL_Cmder-----> http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    07-20-08 10:03 AM
    I understand all of the criticism and will take this into consideration...

JeffH, I agree and will add that caveat as a side note

The only reason I recommend un-installing the previous OSes is because there have been times where that can cause issues. Other times, it works perfectly fine. (As I have found from experience and through helping others with the process)

I detailed the steps I take to upgrade / downgrade and the general procedure I use for this process and to help others.

Take it for what it is worth... this is an alternative because many users run into issues with the "standard" DesktopManager upgrade...

@JRSCCivic98 : If you have specific suggestions on how to improve this small How-To, please feel free to contact me and I will definitely use anything you advise!! I want this walk-through to be accurate and correct, and I know you have some criticism that should be addressed. So PM me and we can work out these kinks

@Crucial_Extreme : Thanks for the support and reassurance. I have never found issues with this process, but apparently there are a couple of flaws
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-20-08 at 10:14 AM.
    07-20-08 10:10 AM

@Crucial_Extreme : Thanks for the support and reassurance. I have never found issues with this process, but apparently there are a couple of flaws
    I don't think "flaws" is the correct description. I think it's flawless. Civic does have a point about the DM doing some of the things for you, but keep in mind the DM can SCREW up! Does the DM back up 3rd party apps on the up/downgrade? Yes, but what if something happens during the process? It's lost. That's why I back them up seperate. Besides, I like having my 3rd party apps backed up by themselves anyway.
    I don't think Civic is saying that you're wrong or anything. He's just saying the DM soes some of the things. But,I just went over that. IMO.
    As far as what Jeff said, I somewhat agree. I myself, have no problem, because I make sure to save a copy. But considering who this is made for, newer members, they may not think to do that so I feel it could be helpful to add that into the tut.
    IMHO, this is how I upgrade or downgrade, and I think it's perfectly fine.
    07-20-08 10:29 AM
    I understand all of the criticism and will take this into consideration...

JeffH, I agree and will add that caveat as a side note

The only reason I recommend un-installing the previous OSes is because there have been times where that can cause issues. Other times, it works perfectly fine. (As I have found from experience and through helping others with the process)...but apparently there are a couple of flaws
    I agree completely with Crucial...I don't consider what I pointed out to be a flaw at all...Knowing what happened to a previous poster, I felt it was worth a warning, that's all. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. It's far, far easier to sit back and point out nits and areas of improvement than it is to face a blank page and create something...well done!
    07-20-08 10:45 AM
    Thanks Jeff and Crucial. I made some edits and polished some things up. If you think of anything else that should be noted, let me know!!
    07-20-08 11:09 AM
    Completely off topic,Congrats on 3000 posts McClure, right on. Now back to topic...
    07-20-08 12:10 PM
    **off-topic** BM is a BEAST isn't he?!?

07-20-08 01:48 PM
    I have to say, I walked through upgrading to 4.5.0.51 using this without much issue at all. Only issue I experienced was the radio was turned off and I had to mess around making a few calls and battery pulls with the 8830 before it fully came around for some reason. Probably something I did wrong or didn't understand somewhere I'm sure.

Thank you BM for a great thread of info that really helped me.
    07-20-08 03:45 PM
717 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD