As the thread title states, I've moved into a new house, and unfortunately no longer reap the benefits of my old apartment complex's free WiFi cloud.

I am looking for a temporary solution, until I can get Time Warner over here to flip the cable switch.

I used to use PAM w/Sprint, which would allow me to connect to a Mac via BT, and then create a private wireless network...however, after switching to an Everything Data plan, PAM is no longer available.

I am aware of Sprints overdrive, and can get one for $99 - but am looking for other solutions.

I am also aware of TetherBerry, but am not interested in pursuing this route.

I've heard Virgin Mobile now offers prepaid USB 3G data cards...anyone have experience with this?

I suppose, being a premier Sprint customer, I could potentially get a USB data card for free, add the $50/month data plan, and setup a private network this way...however, I would be canceling this as soon as Time Warner flips my cable switch...so I'd rather not waste their time.

Any other solutions I am missing out? I am looking to get some casual web-browsing, email, etc on an iPad, and some other computers in the house... until I get a dedicated line over here.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 10:06 PM
    Any neighbors?
    09-28-10 08:18 AM
    What you need to do (and dont know whether sprint supports this or not )
    DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK, AND DATA CHARGES MAY APPLY.

Connect your tour to a PC laptop, run DM6
    then click Tools - Start mobile internet

from there, get a piece of Cat5 (standard ethernet cabale) and plug it into the internet input on the router you are looking to use.

from there goto windows networking options and enable to share this computers internet access (configure the NIC card to be the receiver of the internet)

from there set up the wifi on the router.

now I can not speak from experience that this will work 100%, but to my understanding and from speaking people who have done this.

you may or may not be able to do this depending on sprints tethering rules, and you may incur heavy data charges.
    09-28-10 08:25 AM
    This used to work on Sprint via Mac and PC. DUN via BT also used to work without having PAM on the account. They've locked those holes down now though. Late last night I realized I still had a 7 day trial with Tether...set that up via BT and USB in a matter of minutes, and as long as I am home - everyone can connect. I guess this'll do in the meantime. Thx for the reply though!

What you need to do (and dont know whether sprint supports this or not )
    DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK, AND DATA CHARGES MAY APPLY.

Connect your tour to a PC laptop, run DM6
    then click Tools - Start mobile internet

from there, get a piece of Cat5 (standard ethernet cabale) and plug it into the internet input on the router you are looking to use.

from there goto windows networking options and enable to share this computers internet access (configure the NIC card to be the receiver of the internet)

from there set up the wifi on the router.

now I can not speak from experience that this will work 100%, but to my understanding and from speaking people who have done this.

you may or may not be able to do this depending on sprints tethering rules, and you may incur heavy data charges.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD