All this time I thought RIM was ignorant and lost in the market competition. Obviously they know what is going on after creating this tablet. Is there any phone out there rumored that has a chance with specs as superior as the Playbook or other renown devices like the android devices or iphone?
    09-27-10 09:27 PM
    I know it is soon but seems that RIM might have out done themselves this time aound. I am so proud. I am getting teary eyed
    09-27-10 09:56 PM
    You are kidding right. This is a tablet and not a phone. And yes the ipad has specs close to this blackberry tablet and the ipad was released months ago.

When is blackberry going to release a phone with these specs?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 10:12 PM
    If this OS works as well as the video shows, and it can be ported to a phone, RIM has a chance to return them owning the majority mindshare of the public, when everyone was talking about how blackberries were crackberries.
    09-27-10 10:14 PM
    I am so proud. I am getting teary eyed

Had to have a little giggle at this. I agree that this could be the starting of good to come, I'm anxious to see the next few phones come out. I am seriously thinking of getting this when it comes out, needed something to spend my tax money on anyways lol. I heard early 2011 before that for devs and companies.
    09-27-10 10:20 PM
    i too set aside money for a new large screen phone and/or tablet. looks like i'll be getting this Playbook, too bad i have to wait until early next year but oh well.

as to new devices, i'm definitely excited to see what's coming. i remember the RIM ceo's mentioning in a past interview how exciting their device roadmap looked like. after seeing the refreshes, i had lost hope, but after seeing the Playbook, i can't wait to see what's next. RIM needs a serious touchscreen device on all major carriers.
    09-28-10 01:03 AM
    I'm certain the PlayBook is going to lay a foundation for future devices, but with the recent release of OS 6 I'm pretty sure we have quite a ways to go before we see a Blackberry running QNX.
    09-28-10 03:51 AM
    You are kidding right. This is a tablet and not a phone. And yes the ipad has specs close to this blackberry tablet and the ipad was released months ago.

When is blackberry going to release a phone with these specs?

Similar specs but useless. No Flash (and none planned for the future either) No multitasking. It doesnt have a dual core processor, only 256MB or RAM comparted to 1GB, its thicker then the Playbook and its also more then half a pound heavier.

http://ismashphone.typepad.com/.a/6a...4a4e305970b-pi

With Flash you wont need a billion apps just to run a simple website. Even though i would never get a tablet as its not for me, This is a step in the right direction. There are already rumors stating what apple is gonna release to compete with the Playbook
    Last edited by Frank2029; 09-28-10 at 07:38 AM.
    09-28-10 07:33 AM
    The Playbook has really brought back my loyalty to RIM. After a couple Tours and seeing all the refreshes I was starting to doubt they could pull it together. I just wish it was being released by the holiday season but that's just me being greedy!
    09-28-10 08:51 AM
    Now with the PlayBook out of the hat, maybe RIM can focus on improving their handheld devices. A significant bump in specs for future devices would be nice, as well as having QNX lend a hand to building the OSes for non-tablet devices.
    09-28-10 11:32 AM
    The playbook sure put hope in to me for the next version of the storm, whenever that may come. I was so close to making the jump to android, however, will remain steady until I here some concrete information on some new handsets with this QNX OS and hopefully dual cameras!
    10-02-10 12:59 PM
    I too am excited about the playbook. Let's hope that my expectations will be surpassed by RIM.

10-19-10 06:30 AM
    The specs are nice, it is cool seeing Rim future proof and have apple denounce them, before they even released one into the market.

I myself have no interest in a tablet, but I mean, why would I get an ipad? Its just so big, I might as well use my laptop.

But then again, why would I want a playbook? I just don't know either.

Anyway, I hope with this, RIM makes the software good enough to match the hardware, or else we will have a storm 1 type problem. And then, maybe after this is successful, RIM will slowly start to get rid of its old OS'es and just use QNX style OS for all of its phones!
    11-02-10 07:05 AM
    The specs are nice, it is cool seeing Rim future proof and have apple denounce them, before they even released one into the market.

I myself have no interest in a tablet, but I mean, why would I get an ipad? Its just so big, I might as well use my laptop.

But then again, why would I want a playbook? I just don't know either.

Anyway, I hope with this, RIM makes the software good enough to match the hardware, or else we will have a storm 1 type problem. And then, maybe after this is successful, RIM will slowly start to get rid of its old OS'es and just use QNX style OS for all of its phones!
    My main excuse for the Playbook would be to read books and play games; its like a nook or kindle, but it can do other things as well. Not very compelling reasons, I assure you, but if the price is right, I will be there to get one!
    11-02-10 03:05 PM
    Well I do know that these tablets are eating up sales of netbook PCs, as the choice for portable fun, thats probably just as productive.

But in terms of RIM stepping up its phone models just as it stepped up its playbook, I am a bit skeptical of.

The playbook needed to come out of the gate strong, or else no one would of looked at it. Think about it, there are already plenty of netbooks and tablet PC's out there, so in order to make a name for yourself, you must be special, and Rim is.

But, in terms of phones, will it do the same and step the specs and features up on its phones? We would hope so, and some of those features will have to be things like, dual cameras, LTE support (eventually) and enough RAM to merit having enough apps to use. And then, a beefy enough battery to support all this usage in a day.

Rim's latest top of the line model phones, the Torch/defunct Storm refresh/9780 seem to prove otherwise. That just basic upgrades will do. They don't seem to be trying to lead the way in terms of anything. Screen resolution, battery life, operation speed, dual sim card slots, dual cameras, great camera, they are just maintaining status quo
    11-05-10 09:48 AM
    The Playbook has really brought back my loyalty to RIM. After a couple Tours and seeing all the refreshes I was starting to doubt they could pull it together. I just wish it was being released by the holiday season but that's just me being greedy!
    I hope that the playbook is killer and the specs look really nice. However, this is RIM we are talking about. I have heard about how great the storm and torch would be. While the tablet concept is awesome no one has even held this device yet. The specs are where they should be. However, if RIM does not get this device out by January 2011 then even the great specs will start to look poor. Spring to summer 2011 the specs will start to become outdated when you compare apple and android tablets. I have yet to see RIM really move on something quickly. It is clear they announced a non-existent device prior to the holidays to get us not to buy a tablet for the holidays. Now lets see if they can actually pull it together and get the tablet out in time. I have my doubts. Moreover, with blackberry 6 being so new it could be until 2012 before QNX is fully integrated on handsets. Android will be three software versions down the line by then. I want RIM to deliver but i am not confident (given what I have seen so far) that they can. The fact that they just released the torch with such sub-standard specs shows me they are out of it. I'm not talking about just bad specs compared to other devices. I am talking about poor specs for that device and os. The torch is not a great performer. Maybe the criticism of the torch woke RIM up. However, the fact that they didn't see that coming is scary! If they ran it by half the people on the forums here they would have been told that the hardware would be weak for the os and when compared to the competition. What's more devastating is that RIM is losing mind share. People I work with can't wait to replace their work issued blackberry with their own iphone or android device. They see the blackberry as old and limited regardless of how efficient it is for email and messaging. They just think that other devices are much cooler and they love having access to tons of apps. I can't believe it because I am in an industry where blackberries used to dominate. That is really starting to change. Half of the users where I work have ditched their berries and picked up an android or iphone on their own dime.
    11-05-10 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD