I am very interested in the usage of the Playbook's two cameras! Their website says face to face video... using what!? I hope Facetime can work with this... or at least come up with a similarly compatible application... maybe future Blackberrys will come with two cameras?
    09-27-10 05:12 PM
    I assume it will use their own Face software. Looks very promising!
    09-27-10 05:15 PM
    there are tons of more common videochat methods out there. specifically whatever Skype uses. I'm going to guess it'll be a cold day in **** before any company besides Apple uses facetime for their videochat (given that Apple even lets them use it in the first place).
    09-27-10 05:20 PM
    haha yeah I agree with your statement about apple there. Apple = proprietary
    09-27-10 05:23 PM
    Actually Apple is going to release FaceTime as an "open standard allowing other companies to develop around it." FaceTime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So anyone can make a FaceTime application for any platform.

I'm going to guess that RIM makes video chat apart of BBM and that Skype will make an app for the Playbook.

PS: Is it "Playbook" or "PlayBook"?
    09-27-10 05:25 PM
    This is just my assumption, but I would venture a guess that Blackberry may do something similar with their videoconferencing app, as they did with BBM. Blackberry would have a videoconferencing app that would be compatible with Apple's Facetime, but would also include their own proprietary videoconferencing protocol which would offer more features when going from BB to BB as opposed to BB to Apple. Perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part though to have one videoconferencing protocol that one could use cross-platform. I think when that day finally arises, is the day consumers will start to view videoconferencing in mobile devices as "standard" such as SMS and MMS is today in cellphones.
    Last edited by scherif; 09-27-10 at 05:33 PM.
    09-27-10 05:30 PM
    Actually Apple is going to release FaceTime as an "open standard allowing other companies to develop around it." FaceTime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm going to guess that RIM makes video chat apart of BBM and that Skype will make an app for the Playbook.

PlayBook on the Official website.

I suspect they will add Face to Face into BBM in the future, but open up the Camera's to the BEAM so Enterprise users can develop some teleconferencing applications with a white board maybe! a group white board would be AWESOME
    09-27-10 05:43 PM

yeah i was pretty sure, which is why i said "given that...". However, like i said I highly doubt any other company will adopt Apple's standard when there are many other widespread methods (i.e. Skype) that have a larger user base and more applicable use. imagine being able to view someone's screen sharing via Skype on your playbook! the corporate use will definitely bump up as well.
    09-27-10 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD