I don't get why people are struggling with this concept. The new browswer will zoom in on text and reformat it so that it fits on the screen and is very readable.

On the Torch you double tap any text and it will zoom in and reformat it.

On the Bold you click the trackpad when the magnifying glass is visible over the group of text that you want to be reformatted.

Now, I am aware that on the Bold this doesn't always work. If you are viewing a mobile website, you may or may not get the magnifying glass. However, on the Torch (the only officially released OS6), you can zoom in on any text on any webpage. That being said, you have to assume that that Bold's UNOFFICIALLY released browser isn't completely finished.

EDIT: - Link to YouTube clip showing off Column View (or Wordwrap)
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 10-06-10 at 12:29 PM.
    09-27-10 12:37 PM
    Column view is automatically fit to screen reformatting.

once you zoom you need to scroll right scroll left, and its annoying.

if you dont use it you will not understand it.
    09-27-10 12:56 PM
    Column view is automatically fit to screen reformatting.

once you zoom you need to scroll right scroll left, and its annoying.

if you dont use it you will not understand it.
    No, you do NOT have to scroll left to right if you do it correctly, thats the whole point here! On the Torch, double tap the text you want to read, it will zoom in and wordwrap the text on your screen. On the Bold, you click the magnifying glass over the text you want to read, same thing, it zooms and and wordwraps all the text on the screen. You only have to scroll up and down.

I used to use Column view all the time on the old browser (Pressing "Z" would switch it). I understand what it is, but too many people here, including yourself, don't realize you can do the exact same thing (with even more control) on the new browswer. It isn't working perfectly on the LEAKED Bold browser, but on the official Torch browser, it works on EVERY webpage.
    09-27-10 01:15 PM
    *facepalm* look it doesn't have column view
    You can argue until your face goes purple.

You have found a work around that suits your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 01:36 PM
    Maybe the torch does word wrap the text on your screen. I wouldnt know, never used one. What I can confirm is that it does not zoom into column on the bold. I have one, I have tried it and it does not work like that. I have tried zooming to make text bigger and each time I have found myself scrolling left to right to finish sentences.
    09-27-10 02:49 PM
    It's done it a couple times for me, but it almost always doesn't and I have to scroll.
    Next time I run into a website that does it I'll post it here for you guys.
    09-27-10 05:40 PM
    It does do it. I'm running it on my Bold and it works, although not on mobile sites. If you scroll, sometimes it bumps left or right slightly. Pressing spacebar works much better. But overall it is much better than the old column view.

09-27-10 07:39 PM
    It does do it. I'm running it on my Bold and it works, although not on mobile sites. If you scroll, sometimes it bumps left or right slightly. Pressing spacebar works much better. But overall it is much better than the old column view.

Thank you, someone who knows what they are talking about!

09-27-10 07:57 PM
    It only works hit or miss for me. Mostly not, I don't always get the magnifying glass anyway and when I do it generally goes bigger than the screen width. The 9650 is not a torch. Glad it works for ya tho. The column view on 5 was sweet. This ones a mixed bag, and I do know what your talking about.
    09-27-10 11:37 PM
    I keep reading about people saying they hate BB6 because of the column view issues. IMO, this isn't an issue with BB6 as much as its an issue with the LEAKED version. Thats what is annoying me the most here, people acting like the leaked version for the 9650 is a final release.

I have the 9650 and most of the websites I visit offer up the magnifying glass for me.

When viewing these forums on your phone, go to the bottom and click "Return to default view" and you can use the magnifying glass. I'm sitting here right now with a 9650 on my lap reading these forums zoomed in and wordwrapped in column view.
    09-28-10 08:16 AM
    I keep reading about people saying they hate BB6 because of the column view issues. IMO, this isn't an issue with BB6 as much as its an issue with the LEAKED version. Thats what is annoying me the most here, people acting like the leaked version for the 9650 is a final release.

I have the 9650 and most of the websites I visit offer up the magnifying glass for me.

When viewing these forums on your phone, go to the bottom and click "Return to default view" and you can use the magnifying glass. I'm sitting here right now with a 9650 on my lap reading these forums zoomed in and wordwrapped in column view.
    I certainly don't hate it. I get the magnifying glass also, and the default view you mention does help some, but when I press one time it still goes off the page and requires scrolling. Makes no diff what I have my default font set to, the magnifying glass "zoom" feature over rules it. I don't know what kool-aid your drinking, but it doesn't do column view. I wish it did it like 5's browser. That had the option in settings. Then all pages rendered the same and no side to side scrolling was needed, ever. It is major irritating to have to scroll side to side in a site like a forum since alot of reading is required. In other sites it's not such a big deal, and for whatever reason some sites like abc news renders in a column view for perfect reading. So, I'm glad it works to your satisfaction, but for me and alot of others it does not and what your describing is not the column view of the OS-5's browser. Is it a deal breaker? Not for me. I use "bolt" for forum viewing, no side to side scrolling required. The OS-6 browser is not forum friendly. Maybe works better on the torch.
    09-28-10 09:52 AM
    I certainly don't hate it. I get the magnifying glass also, and the default view you mention does help some, but when I press one time it still goes off the page and requires scrolling. Makes no diff what I have my default font set to, the magnifying glass "zoom" feature over rules it. I don't know what kool-aid your drinking, but it doesn't do column view.
    Below is a video of the "Kool-aid" that I'm drinking. Maybe it doesn't work right on your phone or maybe you can't figure it out, but the code is there and most likely the whole thing will be fixed by the time an OFFICIAL build is released, just like it's there with the Torch.

09-28-10 01:11 PM
    That looks like column view to me.
    09-28-10 01:16 PM
    Below is a video of the "Kool-aid" that I'm drinking. Maybe it doesn't work right on your phone or maybe you can't figure it out, but the code is there and most likely the whole thing will be fixed by the time an OFFICIAL build is released, just like it's there with the Torch.

Thanks for posting the vid. I have not been able to get that on my bold's browser. Sometimes the mag glass is there sometimes no. I can go to the options and select zoom and it pops up or press "I" for it to zoom. I tried to do it just like the video. No matter how I do it there is no column view it is not wrapped around either and scrolling is quite neccessary to read anything. So I wish for some of your kool aid. Are you running the leak or a hybrid or have you tried both and it's the same? I see you have the torch so you are able to compare.
    In any case I would be interested to see how many others have the ability to adjust their screens the way you had it in the vid.
    Perhaps the official release will fix, but then yours is not official either so I dunno. Never the less the way the 5 OS had column view set up was more convenient imo anyway.
    09-28-10 03:59 PM
    Thanks for posting the vid. I have not been able to get that on my bold's browser. Sometimes the mag glass is there sometimes no. I can go to the options and select zoom and it pops up or press "I" for it to zoom. I tried to do it just like the video. No matter how I do it there is no column view it is not wrapped around either and scrolling is quite neccessary to read anything. So I wish for some of your kool aid. Are you running the leak or a hybrid or have you tried both and it's the same? I see you have the torch so you are able to compare.
    In any case I would be interested to see how many others have the ability to adjust their screens the way you had it in the vid.
    Perhaps the official release will fix, but then yours is not official either so I dunno. Never the less the way the 5 OS had column view set up was more convenient imo anyway.
    First of all, I have the Leak (.222), no hybrid. Second of all, this doesn't work on mobile websites (on the Bold). It works on ALL websites (Mobile or not) on the Torch, but on the Bold, it only works on full websites.

The only option I changed within the browser was the keyboard shortcuts option, and I highly doubt that affected anything with the column view.

If you would like, I can make a quick video of the Torch doing column view on websites....Just let me know.
    09-28-10 04:19 PM
    First of all, I have the Leak (.222), no hybrid. Second of all, this doesn't work on mobile websites (on the Bold). It works on ALL websites (Mobile or not) on the Torch, but on the Bold, it only works on full websites.

The only option I changed within the browser was the keyboard shortcuts option, and I highly doubt that affected anything with the column view.

If you would like, I can make a quick video of the Torch doing column view on websites....Just let me know.
    Never mind, and thanks, I got it. It takes a double click when the mag glass is visible.
    09-28-10 04:22 PM
    Never mind, and thanks, I got it. It takes a double click when the mag glass is visible.
    Thats weird, mine only takes a single click....are you running a hybrid or just the .222 leak? Anyways, I'm glad you've got it figured out.

Now, lets get a petition going for RIM to allow column view on mobile webpages too!
    09-28-10 05:12 PM
    I'm running 222 leak, and while this does seem to work it still can act funky. Be better once the learning curve is reached. The singl/double click issue is what kept us on diff pages with the functionality. I'll be working with it and it is what it is. Perhaps the official release will have this ironed out.
    09-28-10 05:37 PM
    Takes only a single click for me also. I'm so excited to learn about this though, it was the main reason I was still using Bolt Browser. I had clicked on pages with the magnifying glass before, and noticed that the text got unnaturally large, so I'd hit the back key and use "i" to zoom in instead, but it was a bit irritating having to scroll from side to side to read the text. I guess I never gave it a chance to situate itself into column view, which it does after a few seconds. I went back and tried several of my favorite sites, this time waiting a bit, and sure enough, I got an easy to read column view of all the pages I tried (none were mobile sites, of course). Thanks OP!
    Last edited by eternal76; 09-29-10 at 04:11 PM.
    09-28-10 05:41 PM
    Takes only a single click for me also. I'm so excited to learn about this though, it was the main reason I was still using Bolt Browser. I had clicked on pages with the magnifying glass before, and noticed that the text got unnaturally large, so I'd hit the back key and use "i" to zoom in instead, but it was a bit irritating having to scroll from side to side to read the text. I guess I never gave it a change to situate itself into column view, which it does after a few seconds. I went back and tried several of my favorite sites, this time waiting a bit, and sure enough, I got an easy to read column view of all the pages I tried (none were mobile sites, of course). Thanks OP!
    No problem! I'm happy to help.

It kept bothering me that OS6 was getting bashed because of the column view issue.
    09-28-10 07:04 PM
    Thx anastasiophan for hanging in there and helping us discover how the OS 6 actually does column view on many sites.

After fooling around a bit now I see how it works. Makes sense now that since it's a leak it does not look like it's fully functional for column view and yet it works on the Torch so that tells us they are working on getting it right for the 9650.

At first I was really frustrated because I do a lot of browsing the news links.

I found the same thing happening with the magnifying glass not appearing on certain web sites. When I first tried it it was confusing because as others have said it does not work consistently on many web sites.

But after I watched your video I realized I was not being patient enough because if you wait a sec or two after zooming it actually does snap perfectly into a more readable viewing mode then OS 5's column view (with no side to side.

For the record I do have .246 hybrid over 6.0. and I have my fonts set at 14.
    Try the 14 font and then go to: idrudgereport.com. This "is" a mobile site and it's a beautiful read with OS 6.

Also try: m.nypost.com another mobile site and yet another beautiful read. Both much better with OS 6 then it ever was in OS 5.

Both these sites can show non believers what the finished product or future update to the official release will look like.

Other forums like even CB are still annoying to read because of the zooming etc, but this will probably be resolved in the official release.
    Last edited by expidia; 09-28-10 at 08:16 PM.
    09-28-10 08:11 PM
    I changed the CB forums to the "default view". To do that, you go to the bottom of the forums and click "Default View" or something like that. For some reason, CB slows this browser down BIG TIME if not in the mobile view, but you can at least zoom in into column view. Its a payoff, but for me its worth it to be able to read the text.
    09-28-10 08:16 PM
    Still would be better to place an option to allow for Column View by default, that way one does not have to double click after every page load, just to get it to be readable... Kind of like OS5.

09-28-10 08:32 PM
    The problem with that is it would make all the WebKit stuff pointless. They invested A LOT of time and money into webkit, they aren't going to have people disable it and go to the ugly column view by default. All they need to do is enable column view for mobile sites and this problem is solved.

09-28-10 08:49 PM
    0100010 is right. When trying to view CB it's the worst of all because you can't change from page to page without making all the zoom adjustments again.

Funny, though "Blackberryforums.com" works fine once you do your 1st zoom. And it holds that setting from page to page. CB's forum is almost unusable even in default view and crawls slow probably because of all the advertising.

I'm sure 6.0 web kit browser runs great on the Torch's big screen as it's owners have noted. But they probably designed 6.0 for the Torch and are now scurrying around before the official release and re-configure it to run on the 9650 screen.

Like I said, I've been using it on some "mobile" sites and it works beautifully.

When I'm mobile I just read the other BB forums. They all post similar threads as here for issues, answers and tips without the slowness currently of trying to read CB on your BB.

Web kit browser is OS 6's biggest selling point to get Rimm's older BB users to finally trade up devices. I'm sure it will be ready for prime time when the official release comes out.

Just tried to access and activate my home alarm system from my BB over at Life shield Security's mobile website. Works fine and actually much faster with bigger type face then OS 5.

So for now, there are enough competing websites like news feeds that the browser works great on right now. If column view doesn't work on a site, I just switch to another site for the same info.

I think what happened to many of us right after we upgraded was the first forum site we tried browsing on was naturally CB's and by luck that is the worse one currently to try and read on the BB.

When I had done my first upgrade to OS 6 last week and thought column view was missing, I said if I can't get column view, it's a deal breaker for me because I'm not going back to toting around a 3 lb netbook again to access the web where ever I went. Once I bought the Tour last year it was the last time I ever had to take the netbook (or even a camera) with me . I gave away the netbook to my Wife!

So even as a leak I can find enough websites that work great with Web Kit browser to keep me happy until the fix is in and I'm thrilled to have 6.0 back up and running again because I like how snappy it runs plus I see extended battery life depending on what programs I'm using most of the day.

Web Kit browser, could they have come up with a "dumber" name for it. The name sounds like something an IT team or a Cad Cam designer programmers would use. This is why Apple is always so far ahead when they market their products. Do you think Apple would have ever called their Browser "Web Kit". Do you think that name is confusing to the average BB or other PDA device user . . . I do!
    Last edited by expidia; 09-29-10 at 08:09 AM.
    09-29-10 07:58 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD