Hi there. New Member of Crackberry and first post.

I have a 2 year old Bold 9000, running 4.6.0.162 (Platform 4.0.0.155). I know...I know...outdated device software. I use the BB for the BIS (work mails) for the most part and updated to 4.6.0.162 about a year or so ago, had no issues after the update and didn't bother updating thereafter. Likewise with the Desktop Manager.

So, I'm due to receive an unlocked Torch here in Mumbai (currently around US$ 650 if anyone wants to know what an unlocked Torch costs in India, though this will drop quite fast going forward) and being a complete Berry ignoramus, I have been visiting the Crackberry site and reading up as much as I could in terms of what I would need to do post the Torch purchase to transfer my stuff (emails, contacts etc) over from the Bold and upgrading of the Torch OS to 246. Here's what I have so far in chronological order, along with the questions I have -

1. Update Desktop Manager to 6.0.0.43.

2. Back up everything on the 9000 to the DM.

3. Use the Device Switch Wizard to switch from the 9000 to the 9800

Question : I have read that using the Device Switch Wizard is not recommended and that the mails and contacts can be transferred over manually into the new device. How exactly is this done manually?

4. Download the latest device software for the Torch which currently is 246

5. Install 246 to the PC.

Question 1 - I have read that we should first delete any old OS's on the PC and that this should be done through Control Panel / Add and Remove Programs. Is this old OS's for the Torch or old OS's period? When I look at the program list in Add / Remove programs (running Win XP), I only see an icon for 'Blackberry Desktop Software 6.0', which is the DM upgrade that I did recently. I see no program for the current 9000 device software that I have which is 4.6.0.162. How or where do I delete the old OS then?

Question 2 - I have not yet installed the 246 file (because the Torch is only coming in in a weeks time), but I see that I already have a C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion folder with an Apploader folder (along with BBWebSLLauncher / Modem Drivers / RIMDeviceManager / Shared / USB Drivers). The Loader file inside the Apploader folder is for version 6.0.0.38 and was created on 8/19, though I did nothing on that date. When I do get the Torch, and do run the 246 update, will the Loader file (and all others) automatically get updated / overwritten?

6. Delete the Vendor file and run the apploader as detailed in the 'How To Upgrade/Downgrade Your Operating System' thread.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance for any help. For me, the Berry truly rocks my world.
    09-26-10 12:40 AM
    Answer: On Blackberry Desktop Software 6 it is called Switch Devices. There is no reason not to use it or to try to do it manually.

Answer1: For the Torch only. Personally I wouldn't worry about uninstalling anything, but only old ones for the Torch are relevant. And since you won't have any other 9800 software installed there is nothing to do.

Answer 2: Yes they will. So you need to delete vendor.xml after you install the Torch update.
    09-26-10 01:06 AM
    Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Couple of additional questions -

Is there a thread detailing how to upgrade to a leaked OS through the DM? If so, I'd appreciate the thread link please

What is a 'soft' and 'hard' wipe and /or reset? How does one do this?

Many thanks in advance
    09-26-10 01:45 AM
    The top of most forums has a sticky thread about OS install. Easy to do. I follow instructions using loader instead of DM. Works great. If not a thread at the top of your device forum check in OS forum

Hard reset is battery pull. With phone turned on remove the battery. Wait 60 seconds or so and reinstall.

Soft reset is app restart or ALT-SHIFT-DEL.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-10 06:49 AM
    Thanks.

Is there such a thing as a soft wipe and hard wipe? I see that the softer wipe (options> security options> general settings> press menu > click wipe handheld) wipes data and apps, but not the OS. I have seen threads where the poster refers to a 'hard' wipe which supposedly wipes the OS as well, which then allows for a reloading of a Beta OS that did not install correctly the first time over. How does one do this 'hard' wipe?

Also, when shifting from the 9000 to the 9800, do I necessarily need to do the service book back up / restore thing? (I am not changing carriers, just the instrument). Is it correct to say that this whole service book thing affects internet browsing only?

TIA as always
    09-26-10 08:36 AM
    Programs like BBSAK or CrakUitl cand do the complete wipe.

OP, watch your new device when using the dev switch wizard. If you look at the new device after using it and see duplicate copies of DocToGo, FB, Twitter installed etc immediately do a security wipe then recover your new dev from there by sending SB's then sync'ing only your organizer data or you can even only restore that data by doing a selective restoration from backups taken of your previous device.

09-26-10 09:03 AM
    immediately do a security wipe then recover your new dev from there
    OK, I now know what a hard and soft wipe is, but what's a security wipe?
    09-26-10 09:20 AM
    Soft wipe as you put it. The term in OS6 is a Security Wipe.

09-26-10 09:53 AM
    Programs like BBSAK or CrakUitl cand do the complete wipe.

OP, watch your new device when using the dev switch wizard. If you look at the new device after using it and see duplicate copies of DocToGo, FB, Twitter installed etc immediately do a security wipe then recover your new dev from there by sending SB's then sync'ing only your organizer data or you can even only restore that data by doing a selective restoration from backups taken of your previous device.

I must emphatically agree to NOT use device switch wizard. I did this and had all types of duplicates and usability issues. I was fortunate, I had a demo 9800 that our office got from ATT so it was easy to wipe it and start over. Now that I have my new Torch, I did a selective restore from my backup and that worked perfectly for me. I then downloaded all the apps I needed and the 9800 is working perfectly at this time.
    09-26-10 02:32 PM
    I must emphatically agree to NOT use device switch wizard. I did this and had all types of duplicates and usability issues. I was fortunate, I had a demo 9800 that our office got from ATT so it was easy to wipe it and start over. Now that I have my new Torch, I did a selective restore from my backup and that worked perfectly for me. I then downloaded all the apps I needed and the 9800 is working perfectly at this time.
    What do you mean by selective restore?. I know is DM v5 you can do advanced backup and select what items you want to backup. Once this is done save that selective file and use that to "restore" the 9800? I was thinking of only backing up Addr book and Calendar.
    09-26-10 05:47 PM
    I did a selective restore from my backup and that worked perfectly for me.
    What is a selective restore? If I shouldn't use the device switch wizard, how do I transfer e-mails and contacts over from the 9000 to the 9800? Is it - (a) back up 9000, (b) transfer sim card into 9800, (c) connect 9800 to PC, wait till DM recognises the 9800 and then (d) do a restore from the 9800 backup?
    09-27-10 01:22 AM
    What is a selective restore? If I shouldn't use the device switch wizard, how do I transfer e-mails and contacts over from th e 9000 to the 9800? Is it - (a) back up 9000, (b) transfer sim card into 9800, (c) connect 9800 to PC, wait till DM recognises the 9800 and then (d) do a restore from the 9800 backup?
    You'd want to restore selectively your PIM (e.g., calendar, contacts, tasks, memos) data files only. There's enough difference between OS 4 & 6 that you don't want to transfer settings files. You can transfer browser bookmarks, but again, not the settings. That means that when you first attach your device to DM, you want to treat it like a new device & not use switch device.

09-27-10 01:55 AM
    You'd want to restore selectively your PIM (e.g., calendar, contacts, tasks, memos) data files only. There's enough difference between OS 4 & 6 that you don't want to transfer settings files. You can transfer browser bookmarks, but again, not the settings. That means that when you first attach your device to DM, you want to treat it like a new device & not use switch device.

OK...so back up the 9000, disconnect 9000, connect 9800, wait for the DM 6 to recognise it as a new device, and then restore only the backed up 9000 PIM files to the 9800? Does DM 6 allows for such selective restoration?

Also, if contacts is all I want to move over from the 9000 to 9800, would it be better / easier to sync 9000 contacts to MS Outlook and then sync back to the 9800 - as opposed to doing it through the DM?

Thanks for the ongoing help
    Last edited by BerryMumbai; 09-27-10 at 05:48 AM.
    09-27-10 05:45 AM
    I downloaded DM 6.0, backed up my 9700, and used DSW to only migrate everything but my apps which I later re-added only those compatible with the Torch. Everything transferred fine. There will be issues if there are items such as apps that are not supported on OS 6.

09-27-10 06:41 AM
    I downloaded DM 6.0, backed up my 9700, and used DSW to only migrate everything but my apps which I later re-added only those compatible with the Torch. Everything transferred fine. There will be issues if there are items such as apps that are not supported on OS 6.

Exactly right. I did this on the demo Torch and had to do a complete wipe to resolve all the conflicts. So here are the steps:

1.) Back up the 9000
    2.) Disconnect the 9000 and plug in the 9800
    3.) Answer the question to just start using the new device
    4.) Click on Device>Restore
    5.) Put a Check Mark in Select Device Data and Settings
    6.) A new pane will open below where you can choose exactly the data you wish to import

That's it. I did this on the Torch I bought and it worked perfectly and no issues with apps. I downloaded new apps where appropriate. I even purchased another copy of BerryBuzz so I wouldn't have to remove it from my Curve 8520 and my daughter can use it without issue. Good Luck and let us know if you have anymore questions.
    09-27-10 07:04 PM
    Exactly right. I did this on the demo Torch and had to do a complete wipe to resolve all the conflicts. So here are the steps:

1.) Back up the 9000
    2.) Disconnect the 9000 and plug in the 9800
    3.) Answer the question to just start using the new device
    4.) Click on Device>Restore
    5.) Put a Check Mark in Select Device Data and Settings
    6.) A new pane will open below where you can choose exactly the data you wish to import

That's it. I did this on the Torch I bought and it worked perfectly and no issues with apps. I downloaded new apps where appropriate. I even purchased another copy of BerryBuzz so I wouldn't have to remove it from my Curve 8520 and my daughter can use it without issue. Good Luck and let us know if you have anymore questions.
    Outstanding. Thanks very much.
    09-28-10 04:08 AM
    Unlocked 9800 with the stock 141 OS. Connect to the DM. Message saying the usual new OS update available etc.

Question - is it safe to update an unlocked 9800 OS through the DM? If so, how does one delete the vendor file?

TIA
    10-11-10 04:19 AM
    Unlocked 9800 with the stock 141 OS. Connect to the DM. Message saying the usual new OS update available etc.

Question - is it safe to update an unlocked 9800 OS through the DM? If so, how does one delete the vendor file?

TIA
    I just did this exact same thing yesterday. Updated through DM and there was no need to delete the vendor file. And yes, my phone was unlocked as well and apparently the lock is good for life unlike an iphone, so no issues there.
    10-11-10 04:46 AM
    ps alot of things on your bold 9000 will not be compatible with the torch, Apps etc, so hopefully this is only for contacts
    10-14-10 02:12 PM
    Finally got my unlocked Torch a couple of days ago and I've got that Blackberry jiggy feeling all over again . Unlocked Mexico 4 build, seems solid enough so far. 6.0.0.246 out of the box. Transferred all my contacts and messages through a selective restore off my 9000 backup - solid advice on this guys so mega thanks for that.

Question - what does the 'platform' signify? Mine says v6.0.0.246 (Bundle 695 Platform 6.4.0.105). I remember reading that the platform was 278, so how come mine is 105 and is there any significance to this?

TIA as always
    10-16-10 11:13 PM
    great thread. It helped me move seemlessly from 9000 to 9800.
    10-18-10 01:24 PM
    Question - what does the 'platform' signify? Mine says v6.0.0.246 (Bundle 695 Platform 6.4.0.105). I remember reading that the platform was 278, so how come mine is 105 and is there any significance to this?

Question - if I take a photo with the BB camera, or transfer some photos from my PC to the BB, and then choose a photo to be my new wallpaper, how come I end up seeing only a small portion of the original picture? Is it a size thing? How can I resolve this such that my wallpaper reflects the full picture chosen.

TIA.
    10-23-10 02:22 AM
    Anyone.....please?
    10-24-10 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD