Hello,
    My name is James. I just joined these forums because my screen went blank yesterday morning and I don't know what to do. I have a Blackberry Pearl Flip 8230 that I got about six months ago. My carrier is Verizon. I realize there's a similar thread like this, like this one, but no one has responded in that thread since 2009, so I wasn't sure if any of those people are still active, that's why I started this one. I also found this post in that thread:

TIP: If your phone has water damage(and you know it) You still might want to try for a warranty replacement.

Warning: Unethical content below.

With my carrier, exchanging a phone within warranty is free, just pay shipping. They offer no repair services(that I know of, I've asked) If your phone is within warranty and has water damage(and you tell them your sticker is red) they will not replace it. If your phone has water damage and you tell them your sticker is white. They will replace it. They will also disclose a $100 out of warranty charge if physical or water damage is present. That is a bit of money. It is much less than the retail(or tmobile less then full discount price)

So, if you did decide to give your phone a bath(they don't really need it but once every two years) then ask about what the out of warranty charge is and see which is cheaper, buying a new phone or accepting the charge. Note: I've been told that a number of wireless companies do not actually check warranty replacements. I cannot say yes or now, but recently my pearl's internal lcd exploded(no damage to outside glass, but inside lcd looked burned) I thought it was gonna cost me alot more, but it was considered as warranty.

Now, that being said: If you have no water damage or faults of your own. Call and express your frustration with the phone and request a replacement. Most will charge you for shipping. Ask for a waiver since you've only had it two days. Or take to local store to see if they can help you(My carrier will, at their discretion, provide loaner phones at least)

What did that person mean by if the sticker is red and if the sticker is white? Did they mean the sticker under the battery? That's the only sticker I have on my phone, and it's white. When the screen went blank, I woke up and the blackberry was next to a small puddle of water cause I had a cup of ice water there the night before. Could that mean it had water damage? It wasn't exactly in the water, but it was next to the water. I got it as a gift from my dad. Hopefully he paid for a warranty, or does it automatically come with a warranty? I'm going with him to Verizon, hopefully within the next couple days, so what should I say? Can they tell if it had water damage? Or would they ask me? I really hope they can replace it, because I don't want to have to pay $200 for a new phone. My contract is up in a year and a half. I really don't want to have to buy a new phone.

Thank You for your help.
    09-25-10 02:52 PM
    it means what it sounds like. If you bought your phone from Verizon, its under warranty, depending on what package you got. Warranty will replace your phone unless there is water damage. if there is water damage the sticker on the bottom of the battery, near the copper contacts, will be red. If it is white, there is no damage. when you call Verizon, they will ask if you dropped your phone, if it got wet, anything like that. As long as the answer is no to these questions, and your phone is still under warranty, then you are good to get it replaced for free (shipping charge might apply)

hope this helps..
    09-25-10 03:53 PM
    it means what it sounds like. If you bought your phone from Verizon, its under warranty, depending on what package you got. Warranty will replace your phone unless there is water damage. if there is water damage the sticker on the bottom of the battery, near the copper contacts, will be red. If it is white, there is no damage. when you call Verizon, they will ask if you dropped your phone, if it got wet, anything like that. As long as the answer is no to these questions, and your phone is still under warranty, then you are good to get it replaced for free (shipping charge might apply)

hope this helps..
    If I say no, and the sticker is red, will they replace it? I always remember that being red. It's red and it has X's on it.
    09-25-10 04:10 PM
    Also, if we get a new battery, would that fix the screen? Will they sell us a new battery when we go there? We bought it at a Verizon store in Manhattan.
    09-25-10 05:28 PM
    I heard that there's a wetness/moisture/water damage indicator INSIDE the phone too. It's kinda hard to see and it's kinda hard to explain where it is exactly, but I'll try. If you take your battery out, and you look at where the top of the battery is, there's a little square. Not on the battery, but on the blackberry itself. Inside, where the top of the battery hits. Look up there and you'll see a white square. I heard that's a wetness/moisture/water damage indicator too. That square is white on my blackberry.
    09-25-10 09:07 PM
    My dad and I called Verizon yesterday, and they're sending me a replacement phone. They're shipping it today(9/27) and it should arrive tomorrow(9/28). They said I have to use the same battery and the same memory card. I'm going out to try to buy a new battery today, just in case the battery was the problem. If the battery wasn't the problem, I'll have two batteries then. I have a question though. When I get the replacement phone, will I still have the same phone number, or will my broken phone still be active, and the replacement phone will have a different number?

Once again, thanks for your help.
    09-27-10 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD