Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vertical slider (Torch like)

19 26.39%
  • Horizontal slider (Moto Droid like)

6 8.33%
  • Touch screen only (storm like)

11 15.28%
  • portrait keyboard and screen (Bold like)

50 69.44%
  • Clamshell (9670 like)

5 6.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    With the new Torch, the clamshell etc... coming out, which formfactor would you like to own in the future? Which one will match your requirements ? In other words, what formfactor is the best for you?
    please focus on the form-factor, no matter the CPU frequency it should have, screen resolution...and so on.

Slider for me (portrait keyboard preferably, but landscape could do it as well). I need the excellent BB keyboard, but also need a big screen.
    Last edited by xnwrx; 09-25-10 at 02:59 PM.
    09-25-10 02:50 PM
    With the new Torch, the clamshell etc... coming out, which formfactor would you like to own in the future? Which one will match your requirements ? In other words, what formfactor is the best for you?
    please focus on the form-factor, no matter the CPU frequency it should have, screen resolution...and so on.

Slider for me (portrait keyboard preferably, but landscape could do it as well). I need the excellent BB keyboard, but also need a big screen.
    I like the horizontal sliders, the touch only device, and the fixed screen/keyboard style like Tour is. I messed up when I took the poll and accidentally hit "clam shell" by mistake. I do not like it at all as a smart phone form factor.
    09-25-10 05:04 PM
    I dont really like horizontal sliders much, just depends on the phone. I have never had a Bold 9000, but really like that form factor and would be perfect with touchscreen.
    09-25-10 05:40 PM
    I love the form factor on my 9650
    09-25-10 09:03 PM
    I will have to see the style in person before I make a final judgement on the form factor but I really like that kind of 'style' and I feel other companies have done well doing it. Seen some really nice clamshells when i was over in asia that I've not seen over here and also I'm a big fan of sliders. Most of my favourite phones have been sliders and its reasonable for me to say that the torch will suit my needs fine.

My first blackberry was a 9000 and I have no qualms in getting a future fat 'candybar' phone in the future.

As much as I like keyboards, horizontal keyboards on a mobile phone device isn't for me. changing orientation on a phone isn't something i really care much for
    09-25-10 09:08 PM
    I think that I have become jaded with touchscreens. I like the 9000 form factor. I like the bigger, non-touchscreen device. If RIM would manufacture another device like the Bold but with updated features, I would buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 09:48 PM
    Candy bar form factor for me.
    09-26-10 12:22 AM
    Agree with last couple of posts,I have a 9000 and luv it,
    However the samsung galaxy s looks good too
    Rim 's latest appworld makes my bum hurt.

09-26-10 09:27 AM
    Agree with last couple of posts,I have a 9000 and luv it,
    However the samsung galaxy s looks good too
    Rim 's latest appworld makes my bum hurt.

I wish that RIM would take the Bold 9000, add a track pad, 1gb of DEVICE memory, 5mp camera and make a CDMA version as well and I'd be all over it come upgrade time... that being said I don't particularly care for horizontal sliders, the keyboards are just too stretched out to be efficient. Vertical sliders are alright, the Torch is nice, it's just a little long when the slider is extended. Clamshell is kind of the same horse as far as length goes, I'd have to see the Style to really determine how that would be. Touchscreen would be alright I suppose, but I really like having a physical keyboard, and the lack of one is a killer to me... I think the best all around is the classic BlackBerry style, along with the originaly Palm devices, they set the standard for the full QWERTY smartphone, and IMO it's the best all around design.

The Galaxy S class by Samsung is a nice phone, the screen is really nice... my problem is that I get bored with Android sometimes... powered up a Droid2 the other day, started playing around with it, and after about 5 minutes I got tired of it... What can I say...
    09-26-10 10:42 AM
    I wish that RIM would take the Bold 9000, add a track pad, 1gb of DEVICE memory, 5mp camera and make a CDMA version as well and I'd be all over it come upgrade time... that being said I don't particularly care for horizontal sliders, the keyboards are just too stretched out to be efficient. Vertical sliders are alright, the Torch is nice, it's just a little long when the slider is extended. Clamshell is kind of the same horse as far as length goes, I'd have to see the Style to really determine how that would be. Touchscreen would be alright I suppose, but I really like having a physical keyboard, and the lack of one is a killer to me... I think the best all around is the classic BlackBerry style, along with the originaly Palm devices, they set the standard for the full QWERTY smartphone, and IMO it's the best all around design.

The Galaxy S class by Samsung is a nice phone, the screen is really nice... my problem is that I get bored with Android sometimes... powered up a Droid2 the other day, started playing around with it, and after about 5 minutes I got tired of it... What can I say...
    Haha you will get drilled for saying you got bored with android !
    09-26-10 12:11 PM
    For the longest time, after an initial experience with a BB World phone, I avoided all BBs and smart phones. I simply did not like keyboards or the small screens. The keys were way too small for me and simply annoying. I returned to my brick phone (which I still own and is a GREAT phone...LG) and stated "I don't need no steenkin' emails or web access from a phone, I just need to make/receive calls." Then one day, I went out to dinner with a model friend of mine (I'm a photographer). While having dinner, some dude decided he'd try and put the moves on the model. At one point, while asking her about her career, she whipped out her iPhone (the original) and showed him some photos of her I had taken. I had not yet seen an iPhone in person, so when she did this, I was ASTOUNDED at how cool this was, to be able to display photos wherever I went. After getting rid of the hustler, I asked to play with her phone a bit and fell in love with it, including the keyboard. I knew I wanted (dare I say "needed") something like this, but I REFUSED to get an iPhone let alone switch to AT&T. I lusted though, in my heart. When the Storm 1 was announced, I was all over it and bought it on release day. Now with the 2 and anxiously awaiting the 3. Touchscreens are perfect for me and I will not have a phone with a small display!
    09-26-10 12:20 PM
    Ditto EP; my last BB was the Pearl 8130 because I thought I wanted a BB with a slimmer profile, only the tiny 240x320 screen did me in after a year. Absolutely adored the size of the device, but the squinting had to stop. A friend at work got the S1 at launch, and after taking a look I decided I wanted a touchscreen mainly so I had all that screen real-estate. Now on S2 and will most likely stay with the series.
    09-26-10 12:34 PM
    fair enough. I understand your point of view.
    But for those who love the Storm and who need a keyboard, or for those who love the original Bold 9000, don't you think the Torch is the perfect answer offering the best of both world ?
    I do think so. Love the big screen without sacrifying Bold keyboard
    09-26-10 12:39 PM
    fair enough. I understand your point of view.
    But for those who love the Storm and who need a keyboard, or for those who love the original Bold 9000, don't you think the Torch is the perfect answer offering the best of both world ?
    I do think so. Love the big screen without sacrifying Bold keyboard
    It could be, and it definitely is a niche-filler. For me, having used devices with physical keyboards and now touchscreen, I'd get the Torch if it didn't have a touchscreen. One, I like my SurePress; two, I like landscape for on-the-go browsing, so if I was thumbing through screens and suddenly had the urge/need to type I'd have to rotate the phone then slide out the keyboard to start typing. With the Storms and Bold-type devices, there's always a keyboard available. Especially with the Bold/physical keyboard devices - it's right there at all times, no extra steps required (Storms need to have convenience key set or tap in typing field). Also no dirt/debris/dust getting in the tracks if it's not a slider; the Torch looks like it could be prone to having issues with that. Having a physical keyboard plus trackpad could be a saving grace in regards to that, however; even if the touch function gets compromised it's still probably perfectly usable. This is merely my opinion, though, and the Torch is relatively new. I'm not an early adopter; I like to observe and see what the prevailing opinion of a device is before getting one myself. I swore up and down a few years ago I'd never get a touchscreen, and now my S2 is my favorite device; so we'll see what a year or so brings.
    09-26-10 01:08 PM
    My vote was for the portrait keyboard and screen, but to be clear, it was not the
    Bold form factor I was thinking of, it was the Pearl (aka the best BB ever made)
    09-26-10 01:45 PM
    My vote was for the portrait keyboard and screen, but to be clear, it was not the
    Bold form factor I was thinking of, it was the Pearl (aka the best BB ever made)
    +1

The Pearl form factor was a tank for being so small - when I switched to my S2 mine had just a little ding in the chrome right beside the standby button and a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. With the abuse it went through at work, I had some trepidation about getting a Storm with its much larger form factor and all-glass front, but it's turning out to be as well-built too. And I can't get away from ripping off replies and messages in SureType on my S2.
    09-26-10 02:42 PM
    Portrait keyboard and screen. Bold style. Especially 9000 style. Best Blackberry I
    ever owned.
    09-26-10 02:52 PM
    I love my Torch but I'm more of a fan of the style of the 9000. To me that was the perfect form factor. If RIM ever releases another device with that form factor I will definitely buy it.
    09-27-10 08:58 AM
    My vote was for portrait keyboard and screen as well. My favorite devices are the 9650 and 8330.
    09-27-10 09:03 AM
    As much as it hurts to say this, I wonder how many of you favoring a portrait screen with keyboard, are under the age of say, 30? I mean, really, us old farts need a bit more room to navigate . I can't even begin to imagine surfing the web on a screen smaller than a matchbook!
    09-27-10 11:56 AM
    As much as it hurts to say this, I wonder how many of you favoring a portrait screen with keyboard, are under the age of say, 30? I mean, really, us old farts need a bit more room to navigate . I can't even begin to imagine surfing the web on a screen smaller than a matchbook!
    Thanks EP, I'm officially an old fart at almost 34 then. >.<
    09-27-10 12:20 PM
    like the bold 9700 factor

horizontal sliders are too wide...i like the torch form, but only spent about 2 weeks w/ it, so i can't comment on it.
    09-27-10 12:23 PM
    Saw the style today and its only cdma but the form factor
    And look is great ,I like clam's cause they protect the screen
    And prevent pocket dialing

01-15-11 05:39 AM
    I love my candy bar 9700 style, but with that said, I wouldn't be against a bigger screen with updated specs, which is making that Dakota look like my next phone.

01-15-11 08:03 AM
    The Bold 9000 is the best form factor ever produced by Blackberry. It's keyboard is superb and the screen is just the right size. The more recent 9700series models are just too small and fiddly for my liking (and many others judging by recent polls). Hopefully, the new Blackberry Dakota will bring back the original 9000 form factor. It might also help save RIM from losing more market share.
    01-15-11 09:46 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD