I was looking on Verizon's website, trying to figure out what phone I wanted for an upgrade, and I spotted the Droid Incredible for 149.99. The only thing thats holding me back is its listed as a Certified Pre-Owned phone.

Has anyone had issues with their Certified pre owned phones, specifically smart phones, and what issues did you have?

If its big enough issues, I'll spend the extra 50 and get it new, but I really want to save a bit of money.

Thanks!
    09-25-10 11:11 AM
    Certified Pre-owned phones are just as good as brand new ones. They are refurbished devices that have been sent back for problems, but then most, if not all, of their parts were swapped out such as the screen or other hardware. I've had roughly 3-4 refurbished devices over the past year and have had problems with none of them. One thing I would check out is the warranty period. I know that a replacement device only has a 90 day warranty, so you should check that out and make sure a certified pre-owned device gets 1 year just like new devices.
    Last edited by jorGeorge; 09-25-10 at 11:43 AM.
    09-25-10 11:22 AM
    Okay. I know some people with CPO's and have had nothing but problems, so thats why I'm asking here. All of their phones were 3G Multimedia phones though, so thats why I had to ask about smartphones.

I'll get on ordering it now then! Thanks!
    09-25-10 11:24 AM
    The CPO devices do come with the same 30 day WFG and one-year warranty as new devices, so you will be able to tell for yourself if the phone will work for you. You hear more complaints than praises on anything because the unhappy will be more vocal. Good luck, hope you enjoy the Incredible, I really liked that phone.
    09-25-10 11:42 AM
    A lot of times, these can be phones that people bought and returned under the WFG period. I know it's not a smartphone, but I just got a CPO LG Cosmos and it was absolutely flawless. The packaging they had it in made me think it was new and never used, which could've been the case if the box was opened and never used. Can't sell those as new anymore either.
    09-25-10 05:36 PM
    I just had my 8530 replaced because of a speaker issue. The phone was only 2 months old and they replaced with a CPO. I couldn't tell any difference if they had not put it on the packaging. I would say you should be ok. The rep at big red told me they carry the same warranty as new in box.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 05:36 PM
    I was looking on Verizon's website, trying to figure out what phone I wanted for an upgrade, and I spotted the Droid Incredible for 149.99. The only thing thats holding me back is its listed as a Certified Pre-Owned phone.

Has anyone had issues with their Certified pre owned phones, specifically smart phones, and what issues did you have?

If its big enough issues, I'll spend the extra 50 and get it new, but I really want to save a bit of money.

Thanks!
    Did you wind up buying the pre-owned Droid Incredible? I'm thinking about upgrading to a CPO Droid X, but I'm concerned about the quality of the device based on my past bad experiences with Verizon's refurbished warranty replacements.
    01-17-11 11:33 AM

Thanks!
    I have the supposed worst blackberry of all, the storm 2. I bought it, without hesitation, certified pre-owned in July of 2010. I've had no out of the ordinary problems. In fact, I probably got someone's 5th replacement that they just couldn't deal with. I also, by doing it this way, was able to keep my upgrade date in case a new storm came out or something of the like. I didn't want a two year lock down.

So to answer your question fully, no problems at all and I would do it again for a blackberry.

01-17-11 03:27 PM
    FYI: The Droid Incredible is free at Best Buy.
    01-17-11 04:32 PM
    I have the supposed worst blackberry of all, the storm 2. I bought it, without hesitation, certified pre-owned in July of 2010. I've had no out of the ordinary problems. In fact, I probably got someone's 5th replacement that they just couldn't deal with. I also, by doing it this way, was able to keep my upgrade date in case a new storm came out or something of the like. I didn't want a two year lock down.

So to answer your question fully, no problems at all and I would do it again for a blackberry.

Having owned both the Storm 9530 and the Storm 2 9550, the original Storm was by far my worst BlackBerry experience.

01-17-11 05:12 PM
    Did you wind up buying the pre-owned Droid Incredible? I'm thinking about upgrading to a CPO Droid X, but I'm concerned about the quality of the device based on my past bad experiences with Verizon's refurbished warranty replacements.
    I got a cpo bold back in november and haven't had a single problem. Looked brand spanking new out of the box.

01-17-11 06:02 PM
    I have a CPO Bold 9650 and I'm super picky and I couldn't tell the difference.
    01-17-11 11:04 PM
    My CPO Dx has been great!
    01-18-11 10:14 AM
    Having owned both the Storm 9530 and the Storm 2 9550, the original Storm was by far my worst BlackBerry experience.

I don't see the horror some have experienced with the s2. I only mentioned it in the post for context. If my cpo phone experience was fine, and considering the phone, I would think it wouldn't be a bad investment.

Looking back though, I should have gotten the bold. Strictly for OS6.

01-18-11 02:14 PM
    I think a lot of the issues with the S1/S2 were customer perceived and not actual.
    They came from other non-smart devices and expected something different. They *ARE* computers just like all new smartphone devices. That being the case, software you load has a direct effect on how the device behaves. I owned exactly one Storm 1 for a year and had no problems. Same for the S2 I owned, which my daughter now has. My wife is on her third S1. The first one developed a charging issue after about a month. The second lasted more than 17 months, then the USB port would no longer recognize a cable.
    01-19-11 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD