Ok everyone, so we've been hearing for months that RIM is launching (or planning to launch) the BlackPad in Nov.
    But this morning, there was an article from the WSJ saying that RBC analyst Mike Abramsky believes it will be launched in first quarter 2011:
    RBC: RIM Won't Begin Selling Tablet Until First Quarter 2011 - WSJ.com

Now, I think everyone will agree that RIM will tease people with the tablet at DevCon this coming week. They will show it on stage, show videos, pics, etc.
    But the big question is WHEN will it be launched.
    So what do you guys think, Nov. or first quarter 2011?
    09-24-10 09:09 PM
    I think RIM will launch it when they feel it's ready. Or when their resellers/carriers feel it's ready.
    09-24-10 09:11 PM
    At this point, I'm not sure. It seems there might be 2 launches. Soem rumors state that there will be WiFi only and Cell radio versions. If that's true, they could release the WiFi only version soon and carriers could release them later. It could be that the rumors that it would be shown in Nov got mistaken as release rumors and the Nov release becomes the tease with a Q1 release. Just thinking out silent.
    09-24-10 09:15 PM
    At this point, I'm not sure. It seems there might be 2 launches. Soem rumors state that there will be WiFi only and Cell radio versions. If that's true, they could release the WiFi only version soon and carriers could release them later.
    I agree with the 2 versions. Initially all the reports were about it being only a wi-fi version (companion device). Recently, I've read articles about there being a 3G version as well, though it comes out later.

I'm guessing RIM started off designing the wi-fi version, then a few months later decided to produce a 3G one as well. Clearly the 3G one will be released a few months after the wi-fi only version.

If RIM is able to tease the wi-fi version on Sept. 27 at DevCon, then they should be able to launch the tablet 1 month and a few days later in early Nov. They could even take slightly longer and launch it 1.5 months after teasing it (mid-Nov). However, I can think of NO REASON why it would be launched in Q1 2011, which would be MORE THAN 3 MONTHS after teasing it at DevCon. Not only would they be without a tablet for the holiday shopping season, but they would also give time for their competitors to catch up on unique features that they tease.

I think the best assumption is that RIM will tease the wi-fi only version Sept 27, then launch it sometime in Nov. Later, they will launch the 3G + wi-fi version in Q1 2011 (which explains RBC's report of a Q1 2011 launch).
    Last edited by limh5; 09-25-10 at 03:47 PM.
    09-25-10 03:43 PM
    Not only would they be without a tablet for the holiday shopping season, but they would also give time for their competitors to catch up on unique features that they tease.
    I agree with you, but have a question for BB users who have been with them longer then I have. It seems by just reading the forums that RIM doesn't move very fast on either hardware or software. Can they change? Also some reports are saying they are gearing up for 2.5 million so that makes me think maybe they are trying for holiday release.

My guess (and just a big old SWAG) is that if they don't give a somewhat firm release date this week it may be after the holidays. I sure hope I am wrong cause I want one NOW!!!!!
    09-26-10 07:25 AM
    won't guess anything about the release date BUT big question is: How much time do the devs need to make their apps tablet ready??not only for the new size, display resolution BUT also if it really(which i don't doubt) uses a whole new OS(QNX)...

however, i guess(hope) we will be knowing more as soon as devcon opens tomorrow ;-)
    09-26-10 10:04 AM
    won't guess anything about the release date BUT big question is: How much time do the devs need to make their apps tablet ready?
    Well there already are developers that develop for embedded QNX OSs, so that should speed up the process by ensuring that there are already ppl experienced/familiar w/ QNX and their embedded OSs.

Secondly, it is supposed to be easier to develop apps for the QNX OS than for OS 6 (that is partly why RIM is using QNX).

I'm not a developer, but assuming that an apps company already has an app for the OS 5 or 6, and they simply want to create a version for the QNX OS, I think it would take a matter of days (assuming they have multiple programmers).

If there is a developer out there post your thoughts.
    09-26-10 08:35 PM
    Well there already are developers that develop for embedded QNX OSs, so that should speed up the process by ensuring that there are already ppl experienced/familiar w/ QNX and their embedded OSs.

Secondly, it is supposed to be easier to develop apps for the QNX OS than for OS 6 (that is partly why RIM is using QNX).

I'm not a developer, but assuming that an apps company already has an app for the OS 5 or 6, and they simply want to create a version for the QNX OS, I think it would take a matter of days (assuming they have multiple programmers).

If there is a developer out there post your thoughts.
    QNX is a POSIX compliant OS. For the most part, for processing application only (console) and third party libraries, it will simply be a question of developing for UNIX/Linux/other POSIX OS and recompiling.

As for GUI applications... If the OS is using the X windowing system (which I doubt), it will be extremely simple (ie.: recompile) to develop... If not... All GUI code will need to be written according to the API provided.
    09-27-10 08:12 PM
    I agree with you, but have a question for BB users who have been with them longer then I have. It seems by just reading the forums that RIM doesn't move very fast on either hardware or software. Can they change? Also some reports are saying they are gearing up for 2.5 million so that makes me think maybe they are trying for holiday release.

My guess (and just a big old SWAG) is that if they don't give a somewhat firm release date this week it may be after the holidays. I sure hope I am wrong cause I want one NOW!!!!!
    What you are not thinking about though is a lot of reasons it takes so long to release a Blackberry is because of the carriers. Apps/hardware have to be able to work with the carriers so after the phone is developed it is then sent to the carrier to be tested. They then send their bug reports to rim, then they make adjustments and issue out an update.... this goes on until the so called carrier has a phone they think will work with their network.

The playbook will be bypassing the whole carrier testing, so once RIM's beta testers ok it, than its good to go.
    09-27-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD