The Torch is coming out and I'm aiming to get it. I want to use an upgrade through Rogers but so far they are stonewalling me on that option.

If anyone has any advice based on this scenario, please let me know.

Before I start, I know that the current policy at Rogers is that they will upgrade your smartphone (aka, my Curve 8900) to another smartphone (Torch) after two (2) years. Not 12 months. Not 18 months. 24 months. I'm not keen on that.

My phone is one of four on a shared business pooling plan. Mine is the only smartphone and it includes a data value pack (VM, text, caller ID, 500 meg). In June we were suckered into 'upgrading' a dying phone, which it turns out was not an upgrade, but a Rogers branded/authorized store (not actually Rogers). In order to appease us (us being the account holder, who is not me) Rogers credited the cost of the phone as an early upgrade.

I spoke to a CSR yesterday and was told that a) because of the 'early' upgrade on the phone in June, the revenues on the account are at zero and we can't get an upgrade any phone, and b) the upgrade is based on the account, not the individual status of the phones and the revenue they generate.

This goes again what I once thought I knew (about which I may be wrong). I was under the impression that each phone in a business pooling plan counted as their own unit. Similar to units in an apartment building; if one tenant gets a new fridge, the other tenants do not; however if another tenant asks for a new fridge then the building will give it to them too. Am I right here?

Second, does this 24 month rule apply to business accounts?

Third, how can I go about upgrading my phone (if it is possible). My last upgrade was in March 2009. So we are past 18 months on this phone, which included a contract extension. I am willing to pay the 3year price for the Torch and extend my contract, but the next Rogers CSR wasn't presenting that option (which I understand; I need to get them to that point).

And fourth, if I've got no options then I've got no options. I'll either wait for next March or plunk down 600$ for a new off contract phone.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    09-24-10 07:07 PM
    The Torch is coming out and I'm aiming to get it. I want to use an upgrade through Rogers but so far they are stonewalling me on that option.

If anyone has any advice based on this scenario, please let me know.

Before I start, I know that the current policy at Rogers is that they will upgrade your smartphone (aka, my Curve 8900) to another smartphone (Torch) after two (2) years. Not 12 months. Not 18 months. 24 months. I'm not keen on that.

My phone is one of four on a shared business pooling plan. Mine is the only smartphone and it includes a data value pack (VM, text, caller ID, 500 meg). In June we were suckered into 'upgrading' a dying phone, which it turns out was not an upgrade, but a Rogers branded/authorized store (not actually Rogers). In order to appease us (us being the account holder, who is not me) Rogers credited the cost of the phone as an early upgrade.

I spoke to a CSR yesterday and was told that a) because of the 'early' upgrade on the phone in June, the revenues on the account are at zero and we can't get an upgrade any phone, and b) the upgrade is based on the account, not the individual status of the phones and the revenue they generate.

This goes again what I once thought I knew (about which I may be wrong). I was under the impression that each phone in a business pooling plan counted as their own unit. Similar to units in an apartment building; if one tenant gets a new fridge, the other tenants do not; however if another tenant asks for a new fridge then the building will give it to them too. Am I right here?

Second, does this 24 month rule apply to business accounts?

Third, how can I go about upgrading my phone (if it is possible). My last upgrade was in March 2009. So we are past 18 months on this phone, which included a contract extension. I am willing to pay the 3year price for the Torch and extend my contract, but the next Rogers CSR wasn't presenting that option (which I understand; I need to get them to that point).

And fourth, if I've got no options then I've got no options. I'll either wait for next March or plunk down 600$ for a new off contract phone.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    My contract with rogers reaches 2 years on jan 26 of 2011 however after speaking with customer relations they said IF and only IF the 9800 is available as an upgradable device then they would be able to give it to me at 199 with $50 mir and they said they wouldn't know until next friday if the torch is available for the upgrade program so gotta call back then

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

09-25-10 08:40 AM
    If you have a small business account, each line (phone) is treated separately. I upgraded my 8900 to a 9700 last December. I am now upgrading to a Torch with a $30 penalty for early upgrade.
    The policy is that you can upgrade a business account phone every 12 months and if you want to upgrade earlier, you pay a $10/month fee extra.
    09-26-10 01:19 PM
    Thanks for the info guys.

I actually have some new information that I just learned.

It turns out that while the plan is call Business Pooling and is a 'business plan', it is considered a Consumer Regular Plan (as per the CSR I spoke to). Which means all of the good business plan perks we don't get.

There is a mysterious upgrade that occurred in June (thanks to the non-Rogers Rogers store scamming), so the entire account is set back. The next possible upgrade, with fees, are eligible in March 2011.

And it's not worth while to change because the tenure on the account will be lose (that's about 14 years) and the price savings will be lost (we effectively pay 90$ for 1500 weekday minutes and unlimited evening and weekends shared over 4 lines, not including value packs).

So it would seem that the only option I have is to try and get an early upgrade.
    09-28-10 04:56 AM
    all you need to do is say transfer me to the account retentions group. Then say I wanna cancel my services with you so i can go with bell and get a torch for $199.

they will make you resign an new 3 yr contract and your good.
    09-29-10 11:05 AM
    just faught tooth and nail with rogers customer relations department and no luck! told him if i had to wait till jan 21 i would cancel. dude basically said doesnt matter, if i told him i would cancel now he would cancel me now because he cannot give me the torch on early upgrade no matter what. whats up with that??

i then proceeded to tell him another rogers rep told me i was eligible for early upgrade back in august and he shot that down saying it was incorrect. any ideas on how i can get this early hup guys?
    09-30-10 09:10 AM
    i just got off the phone with them an hr ago and got my early upgrade like i said.

Your talking to the wrong dept. Ask for account retentions, when you call in and if they ask why, say "I wanna cancel services". Then when you get the right department say Im cancelling cause I cant get the torch as an early upgrade and they will offer it to you right away.

I paid $199 +$30ish for "admin fees" for shipping, restocking fees etc... worked out to $245. Had to resign a 3yr for my phone plan as well as my data plan.

I'll be recieving mine in 3-5 days she says. Hopefully sooner thou
    09-30-10 10:09 AM
    god damn, i called back customer relation and 2nd time is the charm. didnt havwe to say much lady read through the notes. asked me if i knew how much it was gonna be i said no. gave me 199.99 +35.00 , asked me if i was ok with that i said yes. now ill be receiving it in 3-5 days
    09-30-10 10:18 AM
    I just hit the 1 year mark of my first three year contract, so upgrading seems a little far away for me yet... But my wife is thinking about getting a 9800, so I don't know if I can use the "i-bring-you-a-new-user" card to get an upgrade deal for me?

If not my wife is considering going with Bell, not only because of the lower phone price, also because they seem to offer a better plan...
    09-30-10 11:41 AM
    I have 2 months left to hit the 1 year mark of my 3 year contract. I upgraded to the Torch today with customer relations for $199.99 + $35.00 admin fee ($265.50 with taxes).
    10-01-10 11:15 AM
    I have 2 months left to hit the 1 year mark of my 3 year contract. I upgraded to the Torch today with customer relations for $199.99 + $35.00 admin fee ($265.50 with taxes).
    Really!! What did you say to them and what's your total monthly bill at? That's something I'm interested in doing and I also have 2 months left to hit the 1 year mark of my 3 year contract.. You just got me excited lol

10-01-10 05:20 PM
    i sub for rogers and had issues with my bb8220 so i called in and in and in finally upgrade to curve 9300 if u call in say this is acting up then call in say that is acting up say can i upgrade to something if u are in the 1yr warrenty they shold guive you a swap out to diff model
    10-01-10 07:11 PM
    Really!! What did you say to them and what's your total monthly bill at? That's something I'm interested in doing and I also have 2 months left to hit the 1 year mark of my 3 year contract.. You just got me excited lol

I just asked to speak with Customer Relations, and told them that I have a broken phone, and wanted to buy the 9800 and was not about to spend $600on it. They were super nice, and agree'd to do an early upgrade as long as I re-signed another 3 year contract which was fine with me.
    My bills are usually around $200.00 a month, and I have been with them for a good 10 or so years.
    Now I'm just waiting for it to arrive! It would make life so much easier if they would just let us pick them up in store!!! LoL
    Good luck, hopefully they let you upgrade too!
    10-04-10 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD