I have an unlocked 9700 with Rogers and will be travelling to NY for 4 days. What is my best option that would allow me to check email, use bbm? Is there a prepaid sim that would work or should I buy an add on from rogers? Looks like they charge $30 for 10mb (pretty expensive).
    09-24-10 08:17 AM
    I see if you have a separate voice and data plan for an extra $10/mo you can use your data in the us (OneRate). Why don't they offer this same option for those who have a combined voice/data plan. That would make things so much easier.
    09-24-10 10:07 AM
    A prepaid sim is NOT worth it for 4 days, you would have to release the pin, buy a sim, activate it and then register your bb on their network.

find WiFi... its what I do when i travel and forget about voice, not worth it... buy a $10 phone care and use payphones... use your berry as a pager system.
    09-24-10 10:10 AM
    I was planning on using wifi mostly. Except a friend of mine is arriving at a different time then me. She has an iphone and I want to be able to either receive an email or sms when she arrives. What would be the best way of communicating with her if I'm not in a wifi zone?
    09-24-10 01:24 PM
    Use the paging system I mentioned.

If she calls you, let's it ring three times and hangs up you won't get charged. Her # will show up on caller I'd and continue with a pre determined plan.

OR pay for the usage if its that important.

Just watch out though! Roaming charges are BRUTAL.

These are Bells rates

Free Bell Msg: While travelling in United States STD roaming rates are $1.45/min, $0.75/sent txt msg & $0.05/KB for data

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-10 02:02 PM
    Here's a few options: If your just doing the bbm/email thing just use data down there your roaming bill wont be very much $0.006/kb and how much do you think a bbm or a text email is. Of course git rid of all of your data sucking apps!!!! If you have a cheap regular phone that's unlocked throw a sim card in there and your ready to go if you need to call each other.

But for messaging iPhone friend. You download whatsapp (1.99 for a year of use) and tell her to download whatsapp 0.99 forever (i know it sucks, deal with it) and you can talk like bbm, but she will get screwed because iPhone sucks data.

Really there is no workaround, but if both of you get simcards and air time and just use them to call if you just need to call each other that can work too. Its hard to make it work, also are you in manhattan, jersey, brooklyn, where are you planning on being?
    09-24-10 02:57 PM
    manhattan. I notice Rogers offers a US Text Messaging Travel Packs for $5 including 25 sent messages so I might just do that and use wifi the rest of the time.
    09-24-10 03:37 PM
    Honestly, just get a US data add on from Rogers. That's what I do when I travel to the US, you can get the smallest one they offer and just use Wi-Fi where it's available to you. It's 30$ for 10MB, which in my experience, is more than enough for 4 days.
    Last edited by m.km; 09-25-10 at 01:10 AM.
    09-25-10 01:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD