I upgraded to ATT's 5.0 today and my sounds go on and off. I set them in profiles; they run for 5 min and then require a hard boot and reset again, then off they go.....I'm seriously thinking of flushing this down the toilet.....

I think a rollback to 4.6 is in order....any ideas? Thanks.
    09-23-10 05:05 PM
    It's not all of 5.0, from what I've read, but the .822 version. Some people are using .681 and they are testing a new one, .771 I think that may or may not have the issue. If you look around in this sub-forum, you should find more info on this issue.
    09-23-10 05:29 PM
    Thank you; I've looked and looked and finally did a restore, then hard boot....I have .822 but it must have done something when I tried the restore, as the sounds are (crosses fingers) back. I have a friend with exact same BBB and she upgraded and lost nothing, so I'm not sure where the glitch is, but I'd like to know how to downgrade.
    09-23-10 05:38 PM
    If you wipe the device with something like BBSAK, you can load pretty much whatever version of the OS you want. Make sure you do a backup first. Use Desktop Manager to back up the core stuff and BBSAK for third party apps.

RIMGeeks.com • View topic - [Beta][10/25/09] BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife v1.7.0

I would also recommend using Shrink-A-OS before loading the OS:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/how-shrink-os-348769/
    09-23-10 05:52 PM
    try wiping with BBSAK 1.8, listed on Berryreview.com, and load 5.0.0.610 to start, it was my fav till the newest 8XX came out.
    09-24-10 05:28 PM
    Wiped and installed 4.6 but would like to know where to find 5.00610, can you point me in the right direction?
    09-24-10 07:05 PM
    I just got off a conference call with AT&T and RIM tech support. The bad news is that there is no fix at this time. The good news is that RIM is aware of the problem, and they are working on it. I will be checking back with them every so often to see if there is an update, and I'll post back if I find out anything.

For now, their only solution is to downgrade back to 4.6. Obviously, they do not endorse the alternate OS options that we know about.

I'm going to stick with 5.0.822 for now, as I am always in Vibrate Only, I just like to know that I can turn the ring tones on if I need to, and since they are working on it, there may be a fix soon (I hope).
    09-25-10 09:16 AM
    .681 for orange uk as the carrier works better than 4.6 ever did! even brickbreaker works better than ever! ;-)
    09-25-10 09:21 AM
    I wiped and installed 4.6 and lost a few third party apps even tho they were saved, but all in all, my BB is back. Is there a way to save email messages in a backup? I just find it hard to believe that RIM made this stupid error.
    09-25-10 09:22 AM
    After reading as many posts as I could find on this topic, and checking out a few things on my own Bold, I have a theory that may be worth trying out, so if anyone else wants to try this...

I think the problem only happens when you try to change a ringtone. Once you change one, they all stop playing until you reboot. After the reboot, the ringtones will play again, and the change you made will still be in place.
    09-25-10 11:53 AM
    After reading as many posts as I could find on this topic, and checking out a few things on my own Bold, I have a theory that may be worth trying out, so if anyone else wants to try this...

I think the problem only happens when you try to change a ringtone. Once you change one, they all stop playing until you reboot. After the reboot, the ringtones will play again, and the change you made will still be in place.
    I observed this as well. I changed some ringtones and then rebooted. All of my ringtones have remained functional since then.
    09-25-10 12:01 PM
    822 is crap man

Install 681 its the most stable....and has the best battery life

Download the Operating System from the below link:

DOWNLOAD

Instructions For Installation:

1) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.
    2) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader
    3) Delete the file named vendor.xml
    4) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port
    5) Run loader.exe
    6) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy.
    09-25-10 12:44 PM
    I observed this as well. I changed some ringtones and then rebooted. All of my ringtones have remained functional since then.
    Thanks. I hope some others try it out. We may be able to get this fixed for real instead of using unsupported OSes.
    09-25-10 03:17 PM
    I just received a reply from RIM. They will notify me when the problem is fixed, and I will post the info here, probably in a new thread.
    09-26-10 09:03 AM
    I just received a reply from RIM. They will notify me when the problem is fixed, and I will post the info here, probably in a new thread.
    Thanks for the update. It will probably be fixed with a new OS release. Perhaps the carriers will adopt it ASAP, perhaps not.
    09-26-10 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD