About to order a DX. Will it arrive with 2.2 or will it require an update when unboxed?
    09-22-10 11:43 PM
    most likely yes it will come with 2.2
    09-22-10 11:51 PM
    It depends.

I'm gonna say not.
    09-23-10 12:26 AM
    Either way Froyo =
    09-23-10 01:13 AM
    I called VZW CS yesterday afternoon and asked this very question. Initially I got the usual "Hmmm, good question" or "I'm not sure" from the first tier agents. Being the persistent type and not taking "We're not sure" for an answer, I was passed from one person to another and finally ended up with a tech support supervisor. The best answer I could get from him was that if a new DX is already sealed up in a box somewhere ready to be shipped, then it will still have 2.1 loaded on it. All other devices being produced and boxed up today and from this point forward will have 2.2 on them.

So the question becomes, when will all the stock of those previously boxed up devices be gone? To quote the aforementioned CS agent: "Hmmm, good question".

Personally, I wouldn't consider it a big deal to upgrade a factory fresh DX to 2.2 if need be before loading it up with contacts, apps, etc. etc.-
    09-23-10 12:07 PM
    It's still listed, on Verizon's website, as coming with 2.1. So, you will probably have to install 2.2 after you get it.
    09-23-10 07:24 PM
    i saw a blog post on BGR that the new droidX's with the new screen are arriving in some stores now. the post also said they had 2.2 already preinstalled.
    09-23-10 08:03 PM
    News for anyone who cares. I got on VZW right after posting this message and found out that my NE2 was good and got an extra $100 off the X- got ot for $99.00 THENNNNNNN.....I got an email first thing this am saying it shipped and Ill have it NEXT day for free!

Now can someone direct me to the thread that shows how to "root" so that I can tether for free............and when you do it this way does it tehter wirelessly?
    09-23-10 09:53 PM
    i saw a blog post on BGR that the new droidX's with the new screen are arriving in some stores now. the post also said they had 2.2 already preinstalled.
    Are you sure you're not thinking about the Droid Incredible? That changed from an AMOLED screen, to a tft screen, and the vzw page for that phone does list it as coming with 2.2, now.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 09-24-10 at 07:19 AM.
    09-23-10 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD