My sister's 9700's battery cover is turning yellow. we've tried using rubbing alcohol and nail polish remover on it, but it's not slightly going away. has anyone experienced this?

she uses a silicone case, maybe it's oxidized or something? (i'm not a chemist by any regard =s)

it's mostly around the outer edge

anyway to clean it off or prevent it from happening again if she decides to buy a new cover??

thanks!!
    09-22-10 12:19 AM
    bleach it lol its white anyways
    09-22-10 12:25 AM
    09-22-10 12:29 AM
    I used a white 97 for months-- never changed color. I'm not trying to be a wise-a$$ but it's just a dirty fingers issue.
    Use one of those Clorox Wipe things. They'll takw care if it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 05:34 AM
    Yeah its the oil from your hands.

You need like goo gone or a grease eater.

09-22-10 06:48 AM
    She uses a silcione case so grease isn't the issue I think. I hope bleach or other cleaning products will damage the faux leather =s

09-22-10 07:37 PM
    I use clorox wipes on mine weekly, so far nothing, though my guess is that over-usage will eventually dull or fade it.
    09-22-10 08:59 PM
    Its your dirty hands
    09-22-10 11:02 PM
    She uses a silcione case so grease isn't the issue I think. I hope bleach or other cleaning products will damage the faux leather =s

sounds to me that it's the case causing the issue, then. don't know 'bout you but most of those "gel cases" i handle have a milky feel to them. just a thought here, but you might be able to simply wash the silicon case with dish soap and warm water, to eliminate this in the future. sounds like perhaps the color of the silicon is rubbing off onto the caseback or the natural greasy texture of it is what caused the discoloration.
    09-22-10 11:10 PM
    its probably just gunk from using the silicone case. and for gods sake, never use alcohol or acetone on painted plastics. especially acetone, as it eats away at paint (duh) and can melt/ruin plastic finishes.
    09-23-10 01:05 AM
    its a "feature"

sorry cudnt resist =]

i never buy white in fear that something like this would happen... black/dark skins all the way
    Last edited by Nesquik; 09-23-10 at 01:30 AM. Reason: more helpful
    09-23-10 01:28 AM
    Its your dirty hands
    Haha very funny. I use iPhone 4, wouldn't touch that junk =s

09-23-10 11:50 AM
    If it does not clean back up, chances are the plastic back has simply turned this color and you will not get it back to white. It is likely what some plastic does when it comes into contact with every day use. Just the air can do this. It is made out of a different material than the phone.

I guess it is an advantage of black!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 09-23-10 at 01:32 PM.
    09-23-10 01:19 PM
    My old bold 9000 was black so I guess I could never notice.

09-23-10 03:51 PM
    If it's not already destroyed from the nail polish remover, might want to try cleaning it with a laundry detergent and water mixture. Be sure to wipe it off before it dries!

If that doesn't work, you could try a 3M Easy Erasing Pad or Mr Clean Magic Eraser (almost the same thing). Does an amazing job cleaning faux leather.
    09-23-10 03:57 PM
    You have plenty of tips on cleaning above (or below depending on your forum settings, if you change them to descending instead of ascending) and should they not do anything, just let it yellow or golden out, or just have a spare backing ready. If it's just the inside yellowing, then it's quite possible that the plastic was originally that color and it was simply painted.

PS. I wish my black backing would change to grey, but it won't.

09-23-10 04:49 PM
    Haha very funny. I use iPhone 4, wouldn't touch that junk =s

Wow. I can't believe that you got away with that comment.

09-24-10 05:01 AM
    Ya I have a white 9700 to andd it don't think its dirty it
    I believe it the light shining off it cause many times I see my keyboard turn golden/yellow
    Try to hold the keyboard and battery cover under a light blue or fully white light
    Nnd I just clean the battery cover of my 9700 and there is still the golden/yellow color
    Hope this helps

10-10-10 11:19 PM
    no its the case, well for my bold its my case. i bought a red iskin case and it tinted the cord or my white headphones along the side where the cord touches and then i go to take of the case and the same thing on urs is on my except a red tint, i took off the case imidetly e-mailed the producer about this and still waiting on a reply, i found that a cotton ball and some dish washing detergent helped and just days of normal use without the case it seems to be fading althought i can still see it a bit. i might just return my case
    10-11-10 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD