Hey all - We're working on our new CrackBerry Dictionary much like they have over at Android Central (http://www.androidcentral.com/dictionary)

We're trying to compile a list of BlackBerry terms and definitions to fill it up. They can be anything really that has to to with BlackBerry -- CDMA, Curve, Carrier, Bold, Torch, WES, Wifi, Bluetooth, AT&T etc.

Could use your help on it .. so drop a reply here with any and all words/definitions you think would fit in, and we'll add them to the list. Would like to get as many as we can so its choc full of BlackBerry goodness. Thanks in advance!
    09-21-10 03:00 PM
    Battery Pull - To pull the battery and replace it, after waiting a few seconds
    HSPA+ - High Speed Packet Access (enhanced)
    HSPA - High Speed Packet Access
    GPRS - General Rate Packet Access
    EDGE - Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution
    3G - Third Generation of Cell Phone Radio Technology
    4G - Fourth Generation of Cell Phone Radio Technology
    GSM - Global System for Mobile Communications
    VendorID - a code that is carrier dependent that prevents or allows certain applications from being/or pushed to your device
    Vendor xml file - a file in the loader .exe file that contains the locks to prevents a certain OS from being installed to a non supported device. deleting this file will allow any OS to be installed on a device of same nature
    .alx file - The "mother" file, tells the .cod files where to go and onto what device
    .cod files - the "children" files, will do what the .alx file tells it what to do.
    Soft Reset - Holding "alt" "del" and "shift" at the same time, will reboot the phone w/o pulling the battery (for QWERTY or similar devices)
    Hard Reset - See Battery Pull
    Help Screen - the screen that tells you your PIN number, VendorID, OS version, Model Number, FreeFile and UpTime
    UpTime - the amount of time that the device has been powered up and on
    Free File - the amount of memory you have not used up
    Memory Leak - a phrase used for stating you have applications using more memory than they were designed to use, typically non talked about post 8900 devices.
    Side Load - installing an application by either using the App Loader or other 3rd party program
    App Loader - Native program RIM uses to install OSs on devices
    OS - Operating System- the firmware of the device
    BBSAK - Blackberry Swiss Army Knife - Advanced Controls for the true BB Hacker

i know those are in Technical Mumbo-Jumbo , but it gets the idea across

Posted rom my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by mjneid; 09-22-10 at 11:24 AM.
    09-21-10 03:43 PM
    OTA - over the air; to download something using the device's browser directly to the device
    CrackBerry - general nickname of BlackBerry devices; the name references the drug crack cocaine, which is highly addictive, just like the devices themselves and reading/sending emails on them
    PIN - an 8-character alphanumeric code that is unique to each and every BlackBerry; used to send BlackBerry Messenger messages; used for BlackBerry Internet Service/BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    Battery Leak - battery is losing power (or juice) rapidly, as if it was leaking
    RIM - Research In Motion; the Waterloo, Ontario, Canada company that owns the trademark/brand, manufactures the BlackBerry devices, and also designs the OS; founded in 1984 by current president and co-CEO Mike Lazaridis, he chose the name because he liked the phrase "poetry in motion"
    RIM (2) - Research In Motion's stock symbol on the TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange) (Canada)
    RIMM - Research in Motion's stock symbol on the NASDAQ Stock Market (United States)
    Mike Lazaridis - RIM founder, president and co-CEO
    Jim Balsillie - RIM co-CEO
    BlackBerry DevCon - BlackBerry Developer Conference; annual BlackBerry developer event that showcases the app possibilities of the latest OS's and different hardwares
    DM - Desktop Manager; the computer software that allows for syncing (of media, contacts, memos, tasks, and calendar), backing-up, and restoring the device's data, also allows apps, and themes to be added/removed the device
    OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer; (replacement) parts/accessories that are made by the original manufacturer
    BBM - BlackBerry Messenger; BlackBerry specific IM app; Didn't became very popular until RIM released more consumer oriented devices
    BB - short for BlackBerry
    QWERTY - standard keyboard layout; as seen on pretty much all Western (as in part of the world; North America etc) keyboards
    Megapixel - MP; one million pixels; the higher the amount, the higher the quality of the pictures and videos
    USB - Universal Serial Bus; used to connect and communicate devices (of any kind, not just BlackBerry devices or phones in general) and peripherals (chargers, computers, televisions, game consoles, cameras etc)
    Trackwheel - also known as thumbwheels; a wheel used to navigate through the device the way trackballs and trackpads do today; located on the right side, where you will now find volume rockers; last seen on the 87xx series
    Last edited by CASH; 09-21-10 at 05:25 PM.
    09-21-10 03:50 PM
    BES
    What does it stand for? BlackBerry� Enterprise Server
    What is it? BES is software that acts as the centralized link between BlackBerry� wireless devices, wireless networks and enterprise applications. The server integrates with enterprise messaging and collaboration systems to provide mobile users with access to email, enterprise instant messaging and personal information management tools. All data between applications and BlackBerry devices flows centrally through the server. BlackBerry Enterprise Server also allows administrators to have central control over devices, for instance to deactivate them if they are stolen.

BIS
    What does it stand for? BlackBerry� Internet Service
    What is it? BIS is a component of the BlackBerry Internet Solution, which allows you to integrate your BlackBerry device with up to 10 supported business or personal email accounts, send and receive instant messages, and browse web content while on the go. BlackBerry Internet Service resides on your ISP and allows you to configure your BlackBerry service through a Web based interface. You get "push" delivery of messages, mobile access to email attachments and images in popular formats, as well as access to HTML and WAP pages. BlackBerry Internet Service allows you to open attachments on the go, create a unique BlackBerry email address, and manage all your email accounts directly from your BlackBerry device (your desktop account is updated so you don’t have to manage your accounts in two places. Read a message on your BlackBerry device and it’s marked as read when you return to your computer).

iDEN
    What does it stand for? Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network.
    What is it? A newer network. iDEN phones are not interchangeable with GSM and CDMA phones. Nextel BlackBerry devices display the indicator “NXTL” when the device connects with full data service, and with lowercase “nxtl” when it is not able to connect to full BlackBerry email/Internet service. Carriers include Nextel.

IMAP
    What does it stand for? Internet Message Access Protocol
    What is it? A protocol for retrieving email messages. The latest version, IMAP4, is similar to POP3 but supports some additional features. For example, with IMAP4, you can search through your email messages for keywords while the messages are still on mail server.

IMEI code
    What does it stand for? International Mobile Equipment Identity
    What is it? IMEI is a unique 15-digit code used to identify individual GSM mobile phones. The code is usually printed on your phone under the battery.
    09-21-10 03:52 PM
    Awesome stuff so far thanks a ton!
    09-22-10 09:34 AM
    Megapixel - MP; one million pixels; the higher the amount, the higher the quality of the pictures and videos
    I don't know that i agree with this statement

when i comes to cameras more always doesn't equal better.

I could get into the tech side of it, but it starts to level out after a while on phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 09:42 AM
    I don't know that i agree with this statement

when i comes to cameras more always doesn't equal better.

I could get into the tech side of it, but it starts to level out after a while on phones.

Not sure what to put then. Should I put "generally means higher quality?"
    09-22-10 09:53 AM
    Not sure what to put then. Should I put "generally means higher quality?"
    lol.... it's okay where it stands. to the common person IT won't matter. The only reason i say that is there is only a alloted space for those cameras and if you put more of them in the same space each photo eye becomes smaller, meaning less light can enter each photo eye. and the picture will be come darker and dingier looking. While less eyes will give a grainier picture they to capture more light making the colors vibrant.. .. ..

typically on a cell phone 5.5MP is about the best you can get out of both worlds. Just like about 8MP is about the most you can get out of a standard 54MM camera lense.

maybe over 5MP is over kill.... lol.....but what you stated is kosher for most people.... just shutter bugs can see a massive difference.

09-22-10 10:05 AM
    Wipe - removing the OS from the device
    09-22-10 10:10 AM
    Soft Reset - Holding "alt" "del" and "shift" at the same time, will reboot the phone w/o pulling the battery
    Probably shoul say will not work on a Pearl.
    09-22-10 11:01 AM
    Or the Storm series
    09-22-10 11:02 AM
    How about "crackberry" the term of endearment that we use to describe our beloved devices.

"crackberryonian" a resident of the crackbery nation.

" LEAK" AN UNOFFICIAL RELEASE OF SOFTWARE OR DEVICE, USED TO INSIGHT INTREST IN NEW PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE BUILDS.
    Last edited by coolguy78240; 09-22-10 at 11:20 AM.
    09-22-10 11:17 AM
    Or the Storm series
    Re-worded my first statement.

09-22-10 11:24 AM
    Hybrid OS - Unofficial, custom-built operating system that attempts to cherry-pick and piece together the best modules of different operating system versions (best radio, best GPS, best WiFi lock, power management, etc.)
    09-22-10 01:59 PM
    BBMCP - BlackBerry Master Control Program, a multi-function advanced user interface for optimizing your BlackBerry handheld software.

PIN - Unique device-specific hardware identifier for each BlackBerry device, used for device-to-device messaging (non-SMS) such as BlackBerry Messenger, and application registration. Every BlackBerry handheld has a unique PIN. This PIN stays with the device. If you change devices, you also change PINs.
    09-22-10 02:05 PM
    Brick - render a phone useless (turn it into a totally inactive chunk of matter), most commonly from failed attempts to modify or load OS
    service book - A service book contains information that specifies how your BlackBerry smartphone interacts with the BlackBerry� Infrastructure. It also turns on specific services for your BlackBerry smartphone. The selection of service books on your BlackBerry smartphone depends upon the features provided by your wireless service provider and the IT policies set up by your organization. (from Blackberry KB03151)

sim, or sim card - A SIM card or Subscriber Identity Module is a portable memory chip used in some models of cellular telephones. The SIM card makes it easy to switch to a new phone by simply sliding the SIM out of the old phone and into the new one. The SIM holds personal identity information, cell phone number, phone book, text messages and other data. It can be thought of as a mini hard disk that automatically activates the phone into which it is inserted.

If it will be an illustrated dictionary, then

Kevin - Founder of Crackberry.com
    Last edited by Snarfler; 09-23-10 at 11:54 AM.
    09-22-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD