Hey guys

My friend is selling a 9700 and I'm really interested in buying it...I know they're awesome phones and everything but have never really used one for more than 30 seconds.

I have an LG Voyager right now which the only good thing about it is its browser...which is pretty good and is amazing compared to the Bold (although I've only seen a couple videos of the browser never really tried it).

I'm also on a Bell plan for my voyager. Would I be able to unlock his 9700 (from Rogers), get a SIM card from Bell, put the SIM card in and then use the phone just to text and to talk, without using the net? I obviously need to change plans to get BBM and the whole deal but the net I'm not sure about because doesn't it go through BB's network?

Anyway guys is the browser on the 9700 really that bad??

Convince me to buy this phone!!!

Thanks,
    Elliott
    09-20-10 10:58 PM
    Yes you can take his Rogers phone, unlock it, and put a bell sim in and use it. You don't NEED a data plan, however you will need a blackberry plan to use BBM (so that the bell network recognizes that your blackberry is active and allows pin communication.)

The browser isn't that bad. And there are other browsers you can download anyways that are better. Opera, Bolt, etc... it's only the native browser that people complain about (which isn't bad, at all. if you expect to be/want to view ridiculously enhanced media pages covered in flash and whatever else, you'll be disappointed, and should just use a damn computer anyways).

we don't need to convince you to buy the phone. go play with it. would you buy a car because someone told you to? or would you go to the lot and take it for a spin? the phone will sell itself, so just go play with it.
    09-20-10 11:03 PM
    Yes you can take his Rogers phone, unlock it, and put a bell sim in and use it. You don't NEED a data plan, however you will need a blackberry plan to use BBM (so that the bell network recognizes that your blackberry is active and allows pin communication.)

The browser isn't that bad. And there are other browsers you can download anyways that are better. Opera, Bolt, etc... it's only the native browser that people complain about (which isn't bad, at all. if you expect to be/want to view ridiculously enhanced media pages covered in flash and whatever else, you'll be disappointed, and should just use a damn computer anyways).

we don't need to convince you to buy the phone. go play with it. would you buy a car because someone told you to? or would you go to the lot and take it for a spin? the phone will sell itself, so just go play with it.
    Okay. But I wouldn't need a BB plan if I'm just going to try it out before wanting to see if I'm going to change my plan or not, right? Just no BBM, no browser, etc...just texting and talk, right?

And yea I heard of the Opera browser that's the browser that I use on my voyager right now it's a lot better than the original one. I just heard that the 9700 has a lot of trouble rendering pages with java script in them, is that true or not anymore?

And yea I'll have to try it lol thanks. Just hard to get my hands on one...

I'm not sure about frequency compatibility between the companies, but I'd assume, them both being Canadian companies, that as long as Bell & Rogers are GSM (sim card) providers that you should be fine. A simple unlocking and voila, you're rockin' and rollin'. As for using BBM, again, not familiar with Canadian carrier plans, but I'm pretty sure you'll need the full data package. However, if you can forgo it, then yes, you can use the phone for just talk and text, without the net. To address your last question, it's opinion, but yes, it's really that bad, but then again, I think every phone browser is that bad and only use them for internet when I simply have no other option. The phone is awesome looking, the email function is unrivaled, the security is tighter, and BBM is KILLER, but on whole I can't think of any other reason to go with it over anything else. A phone is a phone is a phone to me, that pretty much sums it up.
    Yea they are both GSM companies since last December (to my knowledge anyway...that's when Bell got SIM cards so I guess they're both GSM now?).

Thanks for your opinion I value it greatly I see your point and just like my friend he says it's a phone not a computer and I agree but having the net at your disposal is also very nice to have...
    09-20-10 11:12 PM
    I'm not sure about frequency compatibility between the companies, but I'd assume, them both being Canadian companies, that as long as Bell & Rogers are GSM (sim card) providers that you should be fine. A simple unlocking and voila, you're rockin' and rollin'. As for using BBM, again, not familiar with Canadian carrier plans, but I'm pretty sure you'll need the full data package. However, if you can forgo it, then yes, you can use the phone for just talk and text, without the net. To address your last question, it's opinion, but yes, it's really that bad, but then again, I think every phone browser is that bad and only use them for internet when I simply have no other option. The phone is awesome looking, the email function is unrivaled, the security is tighter, and BBM is KILLER, but on whole I can't think of any other reason to go with it over anything else. A phone is a phone is a phone to me, that pretty much sums it up.
    09-20-10 11:12 PM
    If it's nicely scripted java then yes it works fine. If it's poorly written, who's to say?

And you've got the right idea with what you'll be able to do with it sans a data plan. i think you can get BBM for free without one. just get them to set you up every carrier is different.
    09-20-10 11:48 PM
    I am with bell and I can tell you everything will be fine if its unlocked, everything will work as it should.. and yes if you don't have a blackberry dataplan, you will just get text and voice..
    And as far as the browser being bad, that's hogwash.. Its not that bad and am willing to bet its probably even better then the voyagers.

As far as convincing you, you should do some research while in the forums, you will learn everything you need to know about the bold and you will figure out if it fits your needs or not.. I personally love this phone and all it has to offer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 12:11 AM
    Hey guys

My friend is selling a 9700 and I'm really interested in buying it...I know they're awesome phones and everything but have never really used one for more than 30 seconds.

I have an LG Voyager right now which the only good thing about it is its browser...which is pretty good and is amazing compared to the Bold (although I've only seen a couple videos of the browser never really tried it).

I'm also on a Bell plan for my voyager. Would I be able to unlock his 9700 (from Rogers), get a SIM card from Bell, put the SIM card in and then use the phone just to text and to talk, without using the net? I obviously need to change plans to get BBM and the whole deal but the net I'm not sure about because doesn't it go through BB's network?

Anyway guys is the browser on the 9700 really that bad??

Convince me to buy this phone!!!

Thanks,
    Elliott
    Elliot,

Look I'll put it simply. Understand the BB browser is behind ONLY iOS, Android & webOS. It's not that bad. However, it does pale in comparison to the other OSes. Anything I need, I can pretty much get done via my BB OS. It may not be as pretty or intuitive as the other OS browsers, but it works. With the webkit browser coming soon, I'm sure it will be even better.

If it's nicely scripted java then yes it works fine. If it's poorly written, who's to say?

And you've got the right idea with what you'll be able to do with it sans a data plan. i think you can get BBM for free without one. just get them to set you up every carrier is different.
    No you cannot BBM without at least a BIS service plan. He/She doesn't know what they're saying in this situation.
    09-21-10 02:45 AM
    Elliot,

Look I'll put it simply. Understand the BB browser is behind ONLY iOS, Android & webOS. It's not that bad. However, it does pale in comparison to the other OSes. Anything I need, I can pretty much get done via my BB OS. It may not be as pretty or intuitive as the other OS browsers, but it works. With the webkit browser coming soon, I'm sure it will be even better.

No you cannot BBM without at least a BIS service plan. He/She doesn't know what they're saying in this situation.
    Okay thanks. Yea I'm sure it's not that bad as people say it is.

As for phone updates, would I need to get rogers updates or once the phone is unlocked can I get Bell updates? From what I've read Rogers is like the slowest people to get revisions out...?
    09-21-10 01:01 PM
    The browser is based solely on opinion...IMO it isn't that bad at all...even running native, take java-script off and loads fast! It will prompt you if you need it on to view a site that needs it and it will take longer, but native tends to render pages the best.

I use opera as it is the fastest, but even opera has bugs...locks up on occasion...

Really I get along fine on any browser from native, opera and Bolt...even compared to when I had an iPhone2g, mytouch3G and Cliq...just miss the real estate of the sceen size...

Good luck, the 9700 is my favorite phone to date.

09-21-10 04:15 PM
    I wouldn't get it. Get the 9780 instead.
    You might end up having buyer's remorse after a week or when they roll out the 9780.

09-21-10 04:22 PM
    You might end up having buyer's remorse after a week or when they roll out the 9780.

I have my eye on the 9780 as well!
    09-21-10 04:27 PM

I have my eye on the 9780 as well!
    Yea I've looked at that too but a 9700 for $250 that's pretty much 2-3 weeks old is a pretty good deal and I've already seen a video of OS6 running on a 9700 and it looks pretty good to me...

^^ Has anyone else seen this video? I haven't seen it posted in the OS6 section for the 9700...kind of weird I thought. Or is it really just a 9780 and he's tricking us?

I don't really mind using a leaked version of OS6, though. Is it possible to brick the phone while updating to a newer OS, or is it possible to still revert if something goes wrong?

As for phone updates, would I need to get rogers updates or once the phone is unlocked can I get Bell updates? From what I've read Rogers is like the slowest people to get revisions out...?

Thanks,
    Elliott
    Last edited by ElliottG; 09-21-10 at 06:52 PM.
    09-21-10 06:09 PM
    Bolt browser is good. The native browser should be tuned to have javascript disabled, images not shown. It will speed and work good.

09-21-10 09:57 PM
    I never said without a BIS plan. I said DATA plan. Some carriers (I know Telus does it) will allow you to use BIS without getting a 500mb data plan. You can absolutely have no data, and still be able to access BBM.

If you'd like to hear it from them, their number is on their website Select your province | TELUS Mobility

Don't tell me my business, devil woman.
    09-21-10 10:02 PM
    Bolt browser is good. The native browser should be tuned to have javascript disabled, images not shown. It will speed and work good.

Mhmm yea I don't think I'll be disabling images, though.

Anyone have answers to my previous post? http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/co...7/#post5603596

Also do you guys think that 9700's will drop to under $250 new when the 9780 and the torch come out? If not I'm going to buy it.
    Last edited by ElliottG; 09-21-10 at 10:56 PM.
    09-21-10 10:09 PM
    i've switched from Bold 9000 to 9700 and now to iPhone 4. No regrets on switching to iPhone, perhaps you should open your horizons a bit. I used to be super anti-iPhone, but when it comes down to it, it's a lot better.
    09-22-10 12:21 AM
    Yea as much as I like the iPhone...I love having a keyboard.

Anyone have answers to my previous post? http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/co...7/#post5603596

Also do you guys think that 9700's will drop to under $250 new when the 9780 and the torch come out? If not I'm going to buy it.
    09-22-10 06:31 AM
    Yea as much as I like the iPhone...I love having a keyboard.

What question? you are just linking to your post just ask the question again please.
    09-22-10 08:42 AM
    My questions are:

1) Do you guys think that OS6 will be released? (maybe it's too early to know)

2) After I unlock the phone, do I need to update the phone with rogers updates still or can I use bell updates? I heard that the bell updates were more up-to-date than the rogers ones?

3) Do you guys think that 9700's will drop under $250 after the 9780 and torch are released?

Thanks,
    Elliott

09-22-10 10:11 AM
    here we go

My questions are:

- No one knows the date.. you're better finding leaks than waiting for the official release from the carriers

2) After I unlock the phone, do I need to update the phone with rogers updates still or can I use bell updates? I heard that the bell updates were more up-to-date than the rogers ones?

- i don't know since i'm in the US

3) Do you guys think that 9700's will drop under $250 after the 9780 and torch are released?

- i am pretty sure it won't go down that price if you plan on buying from the carrier.. unless you're upgrading.
    remember the Bold 9000? before the Torch came out.. the no commitment pricing was still $499.00 then AT&T phase it out without lowering the price

Thanks,
    Elliott

if you need anymore convincing.. feel free to ask.
    there are a lot of members with more convincing powers than me
    09-22-10 10:59 AM
    @OP - wouldn't dream of trying to convince you....I don't set up friends on blind dates and don't convince people to get phones!!!

I love my Berries, oooone after the other.....that said, the browser sucked. Plain and simple. It was painful. I had a brief liaison with an iPhone 3GS because the browser just made me cry.

Notice I said "sucked." That's because I'm loving the new browser.

If you are shopping for a new phone, check out the 9780 when it comes out and give the 9800 a go. I have it and I L-O-V-E it!!!!

But....this is *your* decision. You need to put in some quality time with all the devices you're considering. My likes and wants are not the same as yours.
    09-22-10 11:26 AM
    Yea the 9780 and Torch must be nice and everything but basically I'm looking to get into a good BB for cheap and they'll rape me on the price for a 9780 when they come out...

I actually like the way that OS 5 is...even though we all get bored of things over time I don't think it'll be that big of a problem

09-22-10 02:52 PM
    My questions are:

Thanks,
    Elliott

1. Yes, and retrofitted for the 9700. T-Mo USA is already testing it for theirs. Your carrier may be slower to release but leaks seem to be the thing anyway.

2. What do you mean by updates? OS version releases? As far as I know you can use any leaked version on your device and find it here quicker than you will anywhere else.

3. Full price, not even close. You'll be lucky to see them drop below $380 ever. Upgrade price, they're already below that, you can pick one up now for $100 and less after a mail-in rebate.
    09-22-10 03:17 PM
    1. Yes, and retrofitted for the 9700. T-Mo USA is already testing it for theirs. Your carrier may be slower to release but leaks seem to be the thing anyway.

2. What do you mean by updates? OS version releases? As far as I know you can use any leaked version on your device and find it here quicker than you will anywhere else.

3. Full price, not even close. You'll be lucky to see them drop below $380 ever. Upgrade price, they're already below that, you can pick one up now for $100 and less after a mail-in rebate.
    Thanks.

As for #2 yes I was referring to OS updates because it would seem that if you're with Rogers and have a rogers BB you would need to get Rogers BB updates, correct?

As for #3, thanks for that. Unfortunately Bell does not let you upgrade your phone mid-contract for a price as good as that and I would need to pay $599.95 for the phone.

The phone I'm looking at is a refurbished phone that he got 2 weeks ago from Rogers because his last bold had a problem (broken key or something) and it has one scratch on the chrome which the rubber case he has covers anyway.

Hopefully this will be a good buy!
    09-22-10 05:42 PM
    Thanks.

As for #2 yes I was referring to OS updates because it would seem that if you're with Rogers and have a rogers BB you would need to get Rogers BB updates, correct?

As for #3, thanks for that. Unfortunately Bell does not let you upgrade your phone mid-contract for a price as good as that and I would need to pay $599.95 for the phone.

The phone I'm looking at is a refurbished phone that he got 2 weeks ago from Rogers because his last bold had a problem (broken key or something) and it has one scratch on the chrome which the rubber case he has covers anyway.

Hopefully this will be a good buy!
    Thus far my experience with CrackBerry.com has lead me to believe that any version from any carrier will work on your phone because you it's not really an update, but rather a completely new OS taking it's place. The term update would infer that there's a small change to an already existing version, but with these you're actually replacing the old with the new. There's certain files you'll have to delete in order to do so, some vendor file, but once done you're set to go. Just keep your eyes wide peeled to this forum and you'll get all the info you'll need.
    09-22-10 06:37 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD