Hey everyone.

Just to let everyone know, I just found out from a Rogers rep (after being on hold for 28 minutes) that they plan to release OS 5.0.0.862 for the 9700 officially on September 21st. I called to find out since my brother has the student plan with unlimited local WiFi calling, and he needs UMA to be enabled once his first 3 months of unlimited calls expires.

I'm sure it's probably going to be the same as the Vodafone release, but I figure it's better to put on a Rogers OS on a Rogers phone.

I also asked when BB6 would be released for the 9700 and the Rep had no clue.

Q4L
    09-19-10 09:37 PM
    Oh... one more thing.

Can someone please explain this "unlimited local WiFi calling" on the Rogers Student Plan. Does it require a "Talkspot"?? I was under the impression that as long as the WiFi is turned on, the the 3G symbol and 4 dots beside it switch to UMA. And once it does that, I'm able to talk completely for free as much as I want without it affecting my daytime minutes. Is that it, or am I missing something?
    09-19-10 09:48 PM
    I'm guessing UMA has to be "On" for the unlimited Wi-Fi talking I think and it's pretty much unlimited as long as you're on UMA
    09-19-10 10:56 PM
    Oh... one more thing.

Can someone please explain this "unlimited local WiFi calling" on the Rogers Student Plan. Does it require a "Talkspot"?? I was under the impression that as long as the WiFi is turned on, the the 3G symbol and 4 dots beside it switch to UMA. And once it does that, I'm able to talk completely for free as much as I want without it affecting my daytime minutes. Is that it, or am I missing something?
    The unlimited local wifi calling is essentially talkspot local so yeah, you will be fine.
    09-19-10 11:15 PM
    Thanks OP for this, it really helps.

I've been going around wondering what OS version do I update to or by which carrier to enable UMA but now it makes all sense.

I'll inform my friends too.
    09-20-10 12:00 AM
    Can anyone confirm this please? I called Rogers now and they said there's only a select number of devices that would enable talkspot and that the Bold 9700 does not support it.
    09-20-10 04:09 PM
    The person I spoke with was a BB tech with Rogers. When my brother bought his 9700 with the Student plan and unlimited local wifi calling, he was told that the update would be released sometime in September or October. It was up to him to make sure that he updated the software to ensure UMA was working before his 3 months of unlimited local calling expired.

The rep said he checked his email and saw that the update was all set to be released on September 21st. He said that it was v. 5.0.0.862.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-10 05:50 PM
    I have the .862 update and do not see the UMA icon.
    09-21-10 03:00 AM
    You have the 862 but is it the Rogers release or
    A leaked update?
    The UMA may only work if you update the 862 with Rogers
    09-21-10 05:04 AM
    A leaked update?
    .862 official now out, I just loaded it up
    09-21-10 05:21 AM
    .862 official now out, I just loaded it up
    Did you perform a wireless update or do you have to download the BB OS v5.0.0.862 and update using DM?
    09-21-10 05:32 AM
    Sweet!! It came out!!

That's weird that you're not getting the UMA to work though. I remember reading that you might have to configure the settings of your router.

09-21-10 10:25 AM
    where did it come out?
    09-21-10 11:49 AM
    I don't see any news on Rogers releasing a .862 update. Where did you find it?
    09-21-10 12:56 PM
    A leaked update?
    I did use the Rogers official OS. I use Desktop Manager for Mac, and it only lets you update when your carrier releases one. Still no UMA.
    09-22-10 02:18 AM
    I did use the Rogers official OS. I use Desktop Manager for Mac, and it only lets you update when your carrier releases one. Still no UMA.
    I agree! I am not sure why am I not seeing UMA even though I know I have the service.
    09-22-10 10:11 AM
    I don't see any news on Rogers releasing a .862 update. Where did you find it?
    Recieved email in early hours of Sept 21st... "A new software update is available for your BlackBerry smartphone" so I connected it via USB to computer while Blackberry Desktop Software was open... and it asked if I wanted to update phone OS.

Definitely official Rogers, definitely working fine.
    09-22-10 04:27 PM
    Recieved email in early hours of Sept 21st... "A new software update is available for your BlackBerry smartphone" so I connected it via USB to computer while Blackberry Desktop Software was open... and it asked if I wanted to update phone OS.

Definitely official Rogers, definitely working fine.
    With this release - what version # is it, and more importantly, are you able to enable UMA settings on it now?
    09-23-10 10:06 PM
    Hmmm might give it a try anybody see any benefits otherwise!? Other than the UMA as that one is not a big deal for me!

09-23-10 10:43 PM
    is this not a terrible os? i have had nothing but terrible battery life with this os. going back down to .743. any thoughts out there?
    09-25-10 08:13 PM
    I just upgraded to 5.0.0.862, and still don't see UMA in the top when connected to wi-fi. Any suggestions? I have the student plan which includes wi-fi calling. Thanks.
    09-27-10 07:30 PM
    I noticed today that Rog has their own, official 862 out; visit

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    go to bottom of page and click on 'Rogers', then proceed for the 9700 as the chosen device.

If one is trying to use their Rog airtime minutes over WiFi (aka UMA, now aka Talkspot) you now need to have some $5/mo Talkspot 'feature' (not listed on page rogers.com/Talkspot) activated on your plan.

Recent student plans have this feature built-in (and local/LD-Cdn calls over WiFi don't use the airtime minutes in this case).

It seems that up until early Sep Rog was setup to let anyone with a UMA-supported device use their airtime minutes, over WiFi, no surcharge and no account-feature needed.

In fact Rog does say as much, on their website; search item hits #1, #3:
    http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...geLabel=search

So, if you are under any voice-plan contract and have any UMA-compatible phone...

Predicated upon that above Rog statement, and especially if you recently renewed your contract and did so in part understanding that you could use airtime minutes over UMA without any extra fee, you can haggle Rog to give you this $5/mo option, for free.

See, esp:
    UMA WORKING!! Unlocked Bell 9700 -> Rogers Talkspot! OMG
    09-28-10 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD