Just saw this on the driphter site that they are working on bringing OS 6 to 'everyone'. Hopefully this will include the Storm2. What do you guys think about this? Think there's a chance it will work?
    Last edited by ad19; 09-19-10 at 09:40 PM.
    09-19-10 09:14 PM
    Can you post the link to this site?
    09-19-10 09:30 PM
    09-19-10 09:39 PM
    Bookmarked. Thanks.
    09-19-10 09:57 PM
    its not OS 6...its a 5.0 radio just like they state. its called a hybrid. There are several out there already. you guys realize the difference between hybrids and actual OS 6 right?
    09-19-10 10:04 PM
    Definitely a hybrid, but one with as many 6.0 files as they can get as opposed to throwing in a sprinkling of them. My Lyricidal hybrid has 8 megs only of OS6 files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 11:12 PM
    even if it is a (so-called) hybrid, if it does have the full/80% functionality of 6.0 (i.e. webkit and new user interface) i think it deserves some appreciation and certainly I will be more than just delighted to have this on my supposedly unsupported storm2.

at the moment, I am currently using 108 files of mix .31/.151/.161/.225 (size more than 10 meg) with noticeable speed improvement and definitely better memory usage.

just my 2cents though...
    09-20-10 10:50 AM
    even if it is a (so-called) hybrid, if it does have the full/80% functionality of 6.0 (i.e. webkit and new user interface) i think it deserves some appreciation and certainly I will be more than just delighted to have this on my supposedly unsupported storm2.

at the moment, I am currently using 108 files of mix .31/.151/.161/.225 (size more than 10 meg) with noticeable speed improvement and definitely better memory usage.

just my 2cents though...
    Not to sound like a Grumpy Gus but if it was that simple wouldn't we already be using it?
    09-20-10 10:58 AM
    Not to sound like a Grumpy Gus but if it was that simple wouldn't we already be using it?
    no body said it was simple .... it needs effort -> YES
    09-20-10 11:15 AM
    Sorry for not being in the know but what is the difference between the OS released by RIM and a Hybrid and what are the advantages and disadvantages if any.
    09-20-10 11:46 AM
    there is no way 5.0 os can run a 6.0 webkit browser lol

the reason y hybrids have so many 6.0 cods is because RIM only adjusted the major files in 6.0 such as browser, and connections etc etc...

dependencies inside the cods also changed so. it would just be a 5.0 os with 6.0 cods
    09-20-10 01:06 PM
    Guys Driphter is attempting to get actual OS 6 onto other devices. Not a hybrid, the real thing.
    09-20-10 01:18 PM
    Guys Driphter is attempting to get actual OS 6 onto other devices. Not a hybrid, the real thing.
    doubt they will succeed. unless they hijacked a RIM engineer and forcing him to re-write sfi files as well as blackberry.alx 's, and xml files
    09-20-10 01:23 PM
    doubt they will succeed. unless they hijacked a RIM engineer and forcing him to re-write sfi files as well as blackberry.alx 's, and xml files
    Anything is possible
    09-20-10 01:24 PM
    Anything is possible
    then i guess its possible for pigs to grow wings
    09-20-10 01:32 PM
    i love how people are so negative just because you have no clue how to do something doesnt mean someone else cant . I ve been using driphters hybrids since they started and they actully made my 9550 worth using . they put a hybrid to get 5.0 on the 8330 right ? some people need to get keep thier negative opinions to themselves .
    09-20-10 01:35 PM
    I have faith in the Driphter team. I have a feeling that it is not just 1 person attempting this now that they have a CDMA sfi file to play with. I tried copying all the files into a standard 713 folder and I got the Core files listed to be added but they would not load since the portion of the OS failed to be recognized.

And no, it is not easy at all.
    09-20-10 01:39 PM
    i love how people are so negative just because you have no clue how to do something doesnt mean someone else cant . I ve been using driphters hybrids since they started and they actully made my 9550 worth using . they put a hybrid to get 5.0 on the 8330 right ? some people need to get keep thier negative opinions to themselves .
    its not being negative its being honest and truthful. Im not fueling the bed time dreams most of u are having.

5.x os's is not out landishly different from 4.x os's hence y 8330 could get 5.0.

os6 is now bigger in file size and NEEDs a bigger ram memory to run smoothly. 5.0 and 6.0 are totally different

its like putting watermelon through a straw.

cods may work in 5.0 os's yes, but the major changes come in browser and core files
    09-20-10 01:41 PM
    they never officially released 5.o for the 8330 bc it woulndt run smoothly but people still loaded it and it still worked ..when you shrik out alot of the crap that gets put in the os its a different story . and the phone doesnt run smoothly now so if it runs worse i wont be able to tell lol and once you peel a watermelon and blend it up you can make it fit in a much smaller glass .
    09-20-10 01:51 PM
    If you assume that reports of a Verizon test (and rejection) of OS 6 on the Storm 2 are true, it would be obvious that there is some version of OS 6 for the Storm 2 out there. If someone could get a hold of that, then obviously something might be made to work. But I don't believe that anyone is going to build OS 6 for the Storm 2 from scratch out of the used parts bin with the 5.0 radio as the core.
    09-20-10 02:52 PM
    If they can get OS 6 look/feel/usuage to a Storm 2, I will be truly impressed
    09-20-10 02:55 PM

just my 2cents though...
    who cares...really tell me just how much faster it runs, i want proof, numbers, stats. something concrete that can prove that and you arent just experiencing placebo.

Storm 2 doesnt leak memory to begin with! how can you get better memory management. does it magically create more memory as it runs?

no they are not...you didnt read this very well

loaded 6.0 over a 5.0 radio on the 9650 and the 9700 is next!
    hence its a hybrid.
    09-20-10 03:38 PM
    I don't have any stats but I can tell you after the last hybrid that willyboy made my storm makes it through the day without a battery charge and before the hybrid I couldn't go 5 hours without charging and the other people that tried the hybrid too have the same effect too. So placebo is not a factor. But I can screen shot my meterberry next time if that would help you sleep better.....or you could try it yourself instead of since you don't believe anyone else.

09-20-10 07:13 PM
    I don't have any stats but I can tell you after the last hybrid that willyboy made my storm makes it through the day without a battery charge and before the hybrid I couldn't go 5 hours without charging and the other people that tried the hybrid too have the same effect too. So placebo is not a factor. But I can screen shot my meterberry next time if that would help you sleep better.....or you could try it yourself instead of since you don't believe anyone else.

You're missing the point. It's not OS6 unless the .COD's and the radio are OS6. My hybrid with OS6 files runs phenomenally well - but it's still a hybrid, not OS6.
    09-20-10 07:21 PM
    missing the point im just saying hybrids work, and even if it is a hybrid on 5.o that has webkit /universal search and theme what else is the difference between that and os6? call it what you want as long as it works who cares what you call it ? I have a 9800 with os 6 on it and there isnt much different from os 5 except a number.....
    09-20-10 07:43 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD