Hey guys,

I have to say, I'm really thrown for a loop on this one, I thought I was crazy at first but hear me out a second. Over the past 3months or more I've had major issues trying to type anything when standing outside in the sunshine, weather it be on BBM, replying to an email or what have you. As I try to type as normal, the cursor flips around the screen as if I'm using the track pad to zip around the screen. I'll use the track pad to bring the cursor back to my sentence and then as I start typing, blam!...it takes off again as well as typing messed up Character fonts as well. What the **** is with this??? I've had my bold since it was new, never dropped, and this behavior only happens when outside in the sun, never happens indoors or in the car in the shade.

Its really making for a frustrating time and non efficient! I'm at a loss, I've reinstalled to .862 and bang it happened again. As I said, its only out in the sun, my guess is a screw up with the track pad sensor and the sunlight disturbing the lens?? Help me out if ya can...this really blows.

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 12:45 PM
    I have encountered this same thing - seems to be the optical sensor. Some have luck by adjusting the trackpad sensitivity in the options.

09-19-10 12:47 PM
    That is really messed up, the fact that it started happening out of no where!? Is this a known screw up? I mean jesus, it basically renders my BB useless if I can't respond outside because of it. Wow I'm really at a loss. I'll try adjust the sensetivity but logically that setting is just the same as adjusting a laser mouse movement speed. I don't see it making a difference but I'll try it.

09-19-10 12:53 PM
    This is one of the drawbacks of having an IR trackpad.
    09-19-10 01:16 PM
    Omg my optical mouse won't work on clear glass!!! Wtf... This mouse is basically useless now.

Go buy an iphone and try to use that in the sun lol...

09-19-10 05:38 PM
    That is really messed up, the fact that it started happening out of no where!? Is this a known screw up? I mean jesus, it basically renders my BB useless if I can't respond outside because of it. Wow I'm really at a loss. I'll try adjust the sensetivity but logically that setting is just the same as adjusting a laser mouse movement speed. I don't see it making a difference but I'll try it.

You need to get a grip as it is not that big of a deal. You need but shade the phone with your big head and it works just fine! You are being a little over dramatic, don't you think?

Just re-read your posts, you sound like the world is ending! LOL!
    09-19-10 06:11 PM
    You need to get a grip as it is not that big of a deal. You need but shade the phone with your big head and it works just fine! You are being a little over dramatic, don't you think?

Haha, good post man, good post.

The things people complain aboot these days

09-19-10 07:00 PM
    never noticed this before.. kinda wish it wasnt raining so i could check this out for myself..
    09-19-10 07:53 PM

Are you a moron? because that is the stupidest response to a real issue if I've ever heard one. As a business and tech admin I'd like to think I can rely on doing the simplest task of responding to the ton of typing on email I receive daily as well as BBM. So you tell me how that is over dramatic?? Go back to your ***** BBM convos and texts in your mom's basement and make way for some real answers to what the h3LL the glitch is.

Moron.
    09-19-10 08:38 PM
    Holy dramaberry lol

I don't even complain about the sun hurting my berry's screen because i use it in the sun and under a very bright light almost all the time lol

PS. I filmed a concert today and it was so bright out (sub behind me) that I could STILL see everything on the LCD without a problem.

09-19-10 08:40 PM
    Haha, good post man, good post.

The things people complain aboot these days

Yay!! so have no point in the fact that you have no real solution other than cheer on your loser bum buddy? It's an actual issue not some random picky "there is a squeek sound coming from this or that" issue. To not be able to use your BB as normal when direct sunlight is hitting it us ridiculous! Never had an issue of that nature on any BB prior to this one. And this is not legitimate to you??
    Give me a break.
    09-19-10 08:44 PM
    Holy dramaberry lol

I don't even complain about the sun hurting my berry's screen because i use it in the sun and under a very bright light almost all the time lol

PS. I filmed a concert today and it was so bright out (sub behind me) that I could STILL see everything on the LCD without a problem.

Another out of touch moron, did you actually READ what I am asking?? No...you didn't.......because you'd know that it's nothing to do with not being able to see my screen there Mr quick. Now go put on some glasses and read the issue.
    09-19-10 08:46 PM
    Maybe I should have started the thread like allot of slow learners out there to the effect of "sporadic cursor help" or...."this thing sucks" ....and have a nice vague write up.

This is the first time I've had no constructive help on a topic...but hey, I guess there truly are ignorant uneducated n00bs out there. Good on ya.

Anyone care to have a real answer to this thing? if not, I'll call it a day and end it with some stupid one liner like "That's it i'm buying an iPhone" so you can all get your fingers wet in some lame "I'm better than you" unintelligent war of grade 8 war.
    09-19-10 08:52 PM
    LOL! You can tell who the old cranky folk are by their responses (and post count). Instead of offering their insight and experience as a helpful tool or advice, they mock like teenagers with the unintelligence of sarcasm. In any case, and even within the juvenility, you got the answer as to why and suggestions as to how. I completely agree with you that it's quite absurd to place a $400+ tag on something with an issue like this, but such is the way of the tech world. Where the track ball has gone and with it it's flaws, so has the pad arrived, and with it it's own new set. So turn your back to the issues, literally in this case, and enjoy what is otherwise a pretty sweet phone.
    09-19-10 09:01 PM
    LOL! You can tell who the old cranky folk are by their responses (and post count). Instead of offering their insight and experience as a helpful tool or advice, they mock like teenagers with the unintelligence of sarcasm. In any case, and even within the juvenility, you got the answer as to why and suggestions as to how. I completely agree with you that it's quite absurd to place a $400+ tag on something with an issue like this, but such is the way of the tech world. Where the track ball has gone and with it it's flaws, so has the pad arrived, and with it it's own new set. So turn your back to the issues, literally in this case, and enjoy what is otherwise a pretty sweet phone.
    So by that I'm guessing that it is in fact a "flaw" and something I need to live with which is tough to swallow being that there was no problem before. I paid more than $400, closer to the retail price tag because of my term contract. I was hoping there was some work around for it or due to a buggy OS etc but this is not the case?
    Don't get me wrong in the least, I have adored my 9700 to the max and still do....however when I have to go out into the place we call "outside" in the sun and work or business meetings on patios...it's friggen frustrating when you are trying to send a quick BBM, text, or email reply only to get your cursor take off and start scrolling, recenter it....type and then get goofy characters like ~e ``A instead of what you are actually typing.

So be it then?? I just get weary of the Torch as I am picking it up on the 1st and it too with it's track pad. *waits for the stupid replies of "just use the touch screen then"*

Anyway much thanks BeyondTheBox...Didn't know if others experienced this problem or not. From your response, I take it, it's a known issue and noted.

Cheers
    09-19-10 09:22 PM
    I've never experienced it myself, but I do very little with my phone. It's hard to determine what people mean when they say a "known issue", though here I'd have to say yes. How many instances does it take to be considered as such? I've heard of it no more than a handful of times and twice from the same user, second after a warranty exchange. I'm curious as to what your sensitivity level is set as. I have 50 all the way around. Started with 70 but it would pick up my thumbs when they were simply next to it hitting the back or menu keys.
    09-19-10 10:25 PM
    Going to check this out tomorrow while at school, was wondering why sometimes it would be hard to get the cursor somewhere in the sun
    09-19-10 10:46 PM
    You want a solution, here:

1) get another phone
    2) don't use your phone in sunlight
    3) if using you phone in sunlight turn away from the sun.
    4) stop calling people names on the interwebz
    5) design a whole new phone, os and trackpad yourself so someone else can find a flaw in it.

What else were you expecting?

09-19-10 10:51 PM
    can't you just get it replaced? all bb's have at least a 1 yr warranty. i was having issues with my 9700 with the trackpad, it was a little different it hink it was more annoying. my phone would double click when i touched the pad or would even copy and past something and send an email when i hit the back button! I got my replaced within days. May wanna see if you can get it replaced.
    09-19-10 10:56 PM
    my guess: understanding, tact and an experienced, helpful response, sans the unnecessary and snide sarcasm. not judging, just sayin'... you must have serious stock in RIM or work for 'em.
    09-19-10 11:32 PM
    I've never experienced it myself, but I do very little with my phone. It's hard to determine what people mean when they say a "known issue", though here I'd have to say yes. How many instances does it take to be considered as such? I've heard of it no more than a handful of times and twice from the same user, second after a warranty exchange. I'm curious as to what your sensitivity level is set as. I have 50 all the way around. Started with 70 but it would pick up my thumbs when they were simply next to it hitting the back or menu keys.
    I hear you, my usage is heavy, I'm on it for business from 6AM until 7PM most days. Always been a blackberry user and love them.

Well at least that answers my question, my sensitivity was always set at 80 (10 more than stock setting). I've dialed it down to 50 as per your setting, I'll find out tomorrow if I experience this erratic ghosting behavior again. Thanks allot for the intel.
    09-19-10 11:43 PM
    You want a solution, here:

1) get another phone
    2) don't use your phone in sunlight
    3) if using you phone in sunlight turn away from the sun.
    4) stop calling people names on the interwebz
    5) design a whole new phone, os and trackpad yourself so someone else can find a flaw in it.

1) Didn't answer my question
    2) Are you seriously that delusional??
    3) Yeah thanks for the grade 5 answer.
    4) Who what now?? Moron
    5) How does that hold any relevancy to what I asked in the first place? Where did I tell you that I'm a tech engineer that I can redesign a phone? Whom are you referring to? Are you drunk?

What am I expecting? Well lets see, to not have such a ridiculous flaw...am I expected to only use my phone in a corner under a blanket?? With your philosophy, infomercials are never BS and I should be happy no matter the outcome. I wish I had that kind of ignorance...truly I do. Unfortunately, I need some functionality. So again.......save your useless yapping.

Cheers
    09-19-10 11:48 PM
    can't you just get it replaced? all bb's have at least a 1 yr warranty. i was having issues with my 9700 with the trackpad, it was a little different it hink it was more annoying. my phone would double click when i touched the pad or would even copy and past something and send an email when i hit the back button! I got my replaced within days. May wanna see if you can get it replaced.
    I would if I it were acting like that constantly, however, it's only outside in the sun or if I'm in the car and the sun is shining through. Everything else has always been great...solid phone. And of course, as I said, the issue presented itself 3 months ago.

I'd rather see if there is a solution. Thanks though.
    09-19-10 11:58 PM
    Are you a moron? because that is the stupidest response to a real issue if I've ever heard one. As a business and tech admin I'd like to think I can rely on doing the simplest task of responding to the ton of typing on email I receive daily as well as BBM. So you tell me how that is over dramatic?? Go back to your ***** BBM convos and texts in your mom's basement and make way for some real answers to what the h3LL the glitch is.

Moron.
    You got to be a little girl!

Asnwers? SUNLIGHT & IR touchpad! Just think about it!

You must run outside everythime you have use your Blackberry!

You must be on T-Mo!
    09-20-10 05:48 AM
    I hear you, my usage is heavy, I'm on it for business from 6AM until 7PM most days. Always been a blackberry user and love them.

Well at least that answers my question, my sensitivity was always set at 80 (10 more than stock setting). I've dialed it down to 50 as per your setting, I'll find out tomorrow if I experience this erratic ghosting behavior again. Thanks allot for the intel.
    If you are on your berry that much in the sun you would be burnt to a crisp!

Maybe your icon is really a portrait!
    09-20-10 05:50 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD