If you plan on updating to OS6 either via a full wipe or an upgrade, do yourself a favor and backup your OS5 servicebooks first.

Background: Back in August I bought a Torch 9800 and unlocked it to use on T-Mobile. I realized pretty quick that a lot of its features didn't work over the cellular network. No problem, i've been getting these things to work on unsupported networks for years so I wrote up my original guide and posted it in the 9800 forum the next day to help other unlockers. Fast forward a month and I see OS6 builds getting leaked and people having the same browser issues so I figured i'd post my method here to try and help everyone. This method actually works for any phone so when the Storm3 is released and I unlock it this is the method i'll use to get it working on T-Mobile.

A number of other sites are now using my guide, I think thats great, but at least link back to these original instructions. Thanks.

After updating to OS6 some of you might find that your Browser, Twitter, Facebook etc do not work over the cellular network.

(As of 09/22/2010 there are reports that Verizon are now pushing the correct servicebooks for OS6. For now, until it's fully confirmed, I would still recommend making the OS5 servicebook backup prior to updating but if you've already upgraded you might be in luck and avoid all this downgrade/upgrade trouble)

Follow these steps PRIOR to updating to OS6 just to be safe, depending on your carrier or the method of upgrading you might not need this but if you do it'll save you a lot of headaches. This will Backup ALL of your servicebooks (not just the ones that RIM allows DM to backup) to restore onto OS6 if you find things don't work.

Trust me, 9800 OS6 leaks have caused some 507 errors during the upgrade process, I learned the hard way as it happened to me which is why I came up with this guide, if you take the few minutes to make this backup it'll save you a lot of upgrading/downgrading headaches. A few minutes prevention so-to-speak.

My method uses Legacy Servicebook Restore Mode. This mode lets the blackberry load unsigned servicebooks and allows them to survive the bootup security check without being deleted.

Scenario #1: Still on OS5 (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6. If you use DM6 and know the steps please post them.)

This is the best scenario.

1. Start with an OS5 device on your carriers network, Register on the network and push your servicebooks to ensure you have the latest (I used a T-Mobile 9700)
    (THIS IS CRITICAL, make sure your OS5 device is active on your network. You will not have the necessary Browserconfig SB if you skip this step and therefore still won't be able to surf the web. Do not skip this even if it seems pointless, activate your old blackberry!. Some people skipped it and wondered why the process didn't work...)

2. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

3. In Desktop Manager, plug in your phone, go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your phone and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, OS6-Servicebook.ipd for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

Now install/update to OS6 and if your browser doesn't work, enable Legacy servicebook restore mode in OS6 (alt+sbeb) and copy the OS6-Servicebook.ipd back onto your phone using Desktop Manager Backup-Restore/Advanced (step #3 reversed)

Scenario #2: Updated to OS6 and Browser doesnt work (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

(a) if you have another blackberry that still has OS5 go ahead and activate it, make sure everything is working and follow steps 1, 2 & 3.

(b) If you don't have another blackberry you'll have to downgrade to OS5, make sure everything is working on OS5 then follow steps 1, 2 & 3. (this is a pain but it will futureproof you for further leaks).

1. Start with an OS5 device on your carriers network, Register on the network and push your servicebooks to ensure you have the latest (I used a T-Mobile 9700)
    (THIS IS CRITICAL, make sure your OS5 device is active on your network. You will not have the necessary Browserconfig SB if you skip this step and therefore still won't be able to surf the web. Do not skip this even if it seems pointless, activate your old blackberry!. Some people skipped it and wondered why the process didn't work...)

2. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

3. In Desktop Manager, plug in your phone, go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your phone and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, OS6-Servicebook.ipd for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

Now install/update to OS6 and if your browser doesn't work, enable Legacy servicebook restore mode in OS6 (alt+sbeb) and copy the OS6-Servicebook.ipd back onto your phone using Desktop Manager Backup-Restore/Advanced (step #3 reversed).

Rebewt and bob's ur uncle, working for all carriers. (if MMS is still tiny, it's bc the phone isn't identified on the network as a supported device).

Scenario #3: Updated to OS6 and everything works perfectly (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

Now is the time to be preventive and backup your servicebooks for future leaks/updates, just incase something goes wrong!

1. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

2. In Desktop Manager, plug in your phone, go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your phone and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, OS6-Servicebook.ipd for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE YOUR SERVICEBOOK FILE PUBLIC FOR OTHER USERS, MAKE SURE YOU DELETE YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL SERVICEBOOKS (AND ANY OTHER PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION) BEFORE YOU MAKE THE BACKUP OR USE A PROGRAM LIKE MAGICBERRY TO EDIT THE .IPD FILE.

Remember, DM does not backup all of your servicebooks, only certain ones, the only way to back up ALL of them is to follow my instructions. Don't assume that because 1 upgrade worked flawlessly that all others will too.

Thanks to "duck383" for these Desktop Manager 6 instructions.

To get the service books using Desktop Manager 6 (Enable Legacy Servicebook Restore Mode first, alt+SBEB)

1). load DM
    2). on left side select DEVICE
    3). Device Options
    4). Select Custom, select Service Books
    Desktop Manager will save SB"s to the same folder as the directory folder selected when backing up phone and thats all there is to it

**DM-6 note**
    After saving the service books be sure to do the reverse and set the selection back to FULL (or your selection) instead of custom or next time you do a backup it may not save correctly as it may still be set to SB's only

Here's a link to my original guide from august, specific to the 9800 torch with a link to my guide to enable UMA calling on the torch for t-mobile for those that are interested.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/un...ctions-513408/
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-22-10 at 06:36 AM.
    09-19-10 08:15 AM
    He's not lying! Xandermac's method worked like a charm for my 9650 from VZW! Got my browser working!
    09-19-10 11:44 AM
    thats great. i'm gonna try and see if i can backup my books...........i just follow that link that u dropped there right????????????????..........(also i think i remember u telling me lastnight to resend my service books to get my browser up and running. it worked. thanks alot for that bro. i appreciate it)
    09-19-10 11:49 AM
    If I am on OS6 can someone back up their service books and I restore them on my device for it to work or do I have to downgrade and then upgrade again?
    09-19-10 11:57 AM
    You're better off downgrading, getting all the servicebooks specific to your account and backing them up, then going back up to OS6. Theoretically you could use someone elses backup (if they use magicberry to remove all the ones personal to them, no guarantees that NO personal information will transfer over tho).

If I am on OS6 can someone back up their service books and I restore them on my device for it to work or do I have to downgrade and then upgrade again?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 12:00 PM
    Could I not just grab the browser and wifi ones that are needed from someone else or do i need the whole lot?
    09-19-10 12:04 PM
    Got OS6 loaded last night. BBLight, Berrybuzz, berryweather, Bolt, WeatherBug Direct, Meterberry, BBM, Quick Launch, all seem to be working OK. One problem I am having is with Yahoo Messenger. When I do to D/L it, I get this reply: "Sorry. your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Yahoo Messenger." I'm sure with time this as with all other little problems will be corrected...
    09-19-10 12:39 PM
    Trying this now.

Thanks
    09-19-10 12:42 PM
    woot!

worked like a charm! thank you so much!
    09-19-10 02:04 PM
    Same! Working.
    09-19-10 03:38 PM
    woot!

worked like a charm! thank you so much!
    Are you referring to putting only the wifi and brwoser service books cause I'm in the same situation as you.
    09-19-10 09:25 PM
    thank you! FINALLY!

EDIT
    pulled battery and it reverted back to having problems
    restored. and its working again
    Last edited by mw818; 09-20-10 at 03:44 PM.
    09-20-10 03:22 PM
    Has this method been successful for anyone who was unable to download carrier-pushed apps onto OS 6 (i.e., Sprint TV)? Much as I'd like those few apps back, I installed OS 6 over a full wipe and I haven't experienced any of the browser problems people have posted, other than inability to download jad files. Not sure I want to go through the whole downgrade/upgrade process "just because." Thanks in advance
    09-20-10 05:25 PM
    If you plan on updating to OS6 either via a full wipe or an upgrade, do yourself a favor and backup your OS5 servicebooks first.

After updating to OS6 some of you might find that your Browser, Twitter, Facebook etc do not work over the cellular network.

Follow these steps PRIOR to updating to OS6 just to be safe, depending on your carrier or the method of upgrading you might not need this but if you do it'll save you a lot of headaches. This will Backup ALL of your servicebooks (not just the ones that RIM allows DM to backup) to restore onto OS6 if you find things don't work.

Trust me, 9800 OS6 leaks have caused some 507 errors during the upgrade process, I learned the hard way as it happened to me which is why I came up with this guide, if you take the few minutes to make this backup it'll save you a lot of upgrading/downgrading headaches. A few minutes prevention so-to-speak.

Scenario #1: Still on OS5 (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6. If you use DM6 and know the steps please post them.)

This is the best scenario.

Now install/update to OS6 and if your browser doesn't work just copy the OS6-Servicebook.ipd back onto your phone using Desktop Manager Backup-Restore/Advanced (step #3 reversed)

Scenario #2: Updated to OS6 and Browser doesnt work (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

(a) if you have another blackberry that still has OS5 go ahead and activate it, make sure everything is working and follow steps 1, 2 & 3.

(b) If you don't have another blackberry you'll have to downgrade to OS5, make sure everything is working on OS5 then follow steps 1, 2 & 3. (this is a pain but it will futureproof you for further leaks).

Now install/update to OS6 and if your browser doesn't work just copy the OS6-Servicebook.ipd back onto your phone using Desktop Manager Backup-Restore/Advanced (step #3 reversed).

Rebewt and bob's ur uncle, working for all carriers. (if MMS is still tiny, it's bc the phone isn't identified on the network as a supported device).

Scenario #3: Updated to OS6 and everything works perfectly (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

Now is the time to be preventive and backup your servicebooks for future leaks/updates, just incase something goes wrong!

1. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

2. In Desktop Manager, plug in your phone, go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your phone and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, OS6-Servicebook.ipd for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE YOUR SERVICEBOOK FILE PUBLIC FOR OTHER USERS, MAKE SURE YOU DELETE YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL SERVICEBOOKS (AND ANY OTHER PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION) BEFORE YOU MAKE THE BACKUP OR USE A PROGRAM LIKE MAGICBERRY TO EDIT THE .IPD FILE.

Remember, DM does not backup all of your servicebooks, only certain ones, the only way to back up ALL of them is to follow my instructions. Don't assume that because 1 upgrade worked flawlessly that all others will too.
    To get the service books using Desktop Manager 6

1). load DM
    2). on left side select DEVICE
    3). Device Options
    4). Select Custom, select Service Books
    Desktop Manager will save SB"s to the same folder as the directory folder selected when backing up phone and thats all there is to it

**note**
    After saving the service books be sure to do the reverse and set the selection back to FULL (or your selection) instead of custom or next time you do a backup it may not save correctly as it may still be set to SB's only
    09-20-10 05:57 PM
    thx for your work xan, everything is up and running great now. good look. thx.
    09-20-10 06:17 PM
    I hate to be that guy but this did not work for me.

1. I went downgraded to my OS5 on my 9650. verified that browser was working
    2. Followed steps 1-3 to a T. I know it worked because it went from backing up 14 SB's to backing up about 53 SB's
    3. Reinstalled OS6.
    4. Restored the original 9650 settings from (via total backup, with incomplete SB)
    5. Then restored the special OS5 Service Books only to replace the previous SB.

Result: "There is insufficient network coverage..."

any ideas? If I can't get this to work by tonight, I'll just go back to 5.

[EDIT] i know I added an extra step. Perhaps that was my mistake: restoring the settings of my old 9650 (with unmodifiied SB's) then restoring the modified SB's by themselves?
    09-20-10 06:35 PM
    Did you enable legacy sb restore mode in OS6 after you restored your full backup but before you restored the sb file? I didn't specify it in my instructions to re-enable it in OS6 but I edited the guide to make it clearer.

Enable it in OS6 (alt+SBEB) then restore just the servicebook backup again. That was my bad, I figured it was taken for granted.

Last edited by xandermac; 09-20-10 at 07:20 PM.
    09-20-10 07:05 PM
    are they any BES users that have gotten the browser fix to work? & can someone verify the specific sb that is the culprit? i'm assuming it is the "BlackBerry Internet Browsing Service [BrowserConfig]" sb? when you look at the sb, can someone post the service record details? not sure what the stuff means...only things that makes any sense in the service record in the gateway ip address, which is 206.51.26.162 & that is a Rim ip address
    09-20-10 08:20 PM
    This fix worked great to begin with until i realized that 24 hour later the browser stopped functioning, it seams that the phone re-registers at 12pm every night and Verizon pushes new sb anyone else having this problem?
    09-21-10 12:14 AM
    Did you enable legacy sb restore mode in OS6? Try that and see if the servicebooks stick.

This fix worked great to begin with until i realized that 24 hour later the browser stopped functioning, it seams that the phone re-registers at 12pm every night and Verizon pushes new sb anyone else having this problem?
    09-21-10 08:46 AM
    Did you enable legacy sb restore mode in OS6 after you restored your full backup but before you restored the sb file? I didn't specify it in my instructions to re-enable it in OS6 but I edited the guide to make it clearer.

Enable it in OS6 (alt+SBEB) then restore just the servicebook backup again. That was my bad, I figured it was taken for granted.

That did it!

Thanks a million xandermac. Browser is now working
    09-21-10 09:46 AM
    Initialy this works for me, but after a day or a few houe I am sent a message that my blackberry is now registered with the network and the sb's I loaded are gone and replaced with incompadible ones. Then I have to go into legacy mode again reload sb's and start the cycle over

09-21-10 10:24 AM
    Got my phone working...
    09-21-10 12:59 PM
    i hate to guess this,
    but do we need wireless carrier support to utilize full fledge OS6.

vodaFone is very outdated.
    i can see my self standing last in queue.
    09-21-10 01:03 PM
    Who wants to bet that when Verizon releases an official version, that it has errors like this causing a lot of people to be pissed off?

I'll stick with OS5 for now......
    09-21-10 01:05 PM
185 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD