What works best? Any comments??

I went from the Bold 9000 to the 9700...but the screen is way too small. So, I went to the Torch, and didn't like it at all, even though it has a big screen. So, I'm back to the Bold 9000 (happily), but have some memory leak issues and am looking for the best OS to make it run right. I did a complete wipe and loaded .771 based on the negative comments I've read about .822. But it's not perfect, that's for sure.

It's been said that .681 is rock solid, and that .771 is even an improvement...but I don't read all that much good about .822 (which, ironically, is the official release from ATT right now, as I understand, all of the issues notwithstanding).

So what's the deal? Anyone...?
    09-19-10 03:13 AM
    I'd say go for the .681 by Vodafone UK > Official OS 5.0.0.681 For the Bold 9000 by Vodafone UK
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 09-19-10 at 04:36 AM. Reason: link
    09-19-10 04:31 AM
    That's a tough one to answer, my friend. Maybe this will help. I've loaded every 5.0 version on my 9000 starting from the first. Right now, I have .822 on it. If I were to say which was best, I'd say .822. All the 5.0's had difficult bugs. .681 did hang around a while.
    But you are on AT&T, like I am, so it won't matter what OS we use, the biggest bug will always be 'call failed'

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 07:18 AM
    That's a tough one to answer, my friend. Maybe this will help. I've loaded every 5.0 version on my 9000 starting from the first. Right now, I have .822 on it. If I were to say which was best, I'd say .822. All the 5.0's had difficult bugs. .681 did hang around a while.
    But you are on AT&T, like I am, so it won't matter what OS we use, the biggest bug will always be 'call failed'

Had that problem on my iphone, but not with my Bold!!

To answer the OP, I've used several like Mamaluka, and currently have the .822 Hutchinson. The only problem I've experienced is faster than usual memory leak, but it gets me through a full day if I do a battery pull each morning (which I've always done with quickpull.) Some will tell you that .822 has awful sounds and alerts bugs; I personally haven't experienced it and from what I've read, it sounds like it's because I do a battery pull every day. Also, if I happen to change a ringtone or alert tone, I do a battery pull right away and have had no problems. I personally like .822 the best out of the ones you mentioned.

Of course, YMMV. Just my opinion, take it for what it is.
    09-19-10 08:57 AM
    .771 here, but might go back to 822....then again, I'll be having a 9800 this coming week, so ..... GAWD knows!!!!

I never had sound issues with 822, I just had a white screen every so often, but I think I've cured that by removing memory booster.

I think .771 is pretty damn stable. The only memory leak I have noticed is since I've upgraded to the latest twitter. Memory was fine until then.

.681 was terrible for memory leaks, and also the 20% loss of battery when doing a battery pull.

So .771 or .822 both good. I wouldn't go back to .681.
    09-19-10 09:14 AM
    This is discouraging. I an coming back to bb because my favorite bb got my favorite os. Now after I order it, I hear that there are lingering issues. I hope its more user error than the os being faulty.

09-19-10 08:27 PM
    This is discouraging. I an coming back to bb because my favorite bb got my favorite os. Now after I order it, I hear that there are lingering issues. I hope its more user error than the os being faulty.

WHOAH!!! You're leaving the EVO 4G for a BlackBerry? I'm actually getting a similar (4.3" Android) device that I cannot name at the moment.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-19-10 at 09:35 PM.
    09-19-10 09:11 PM
    I ran 822 for a week. The ring tone bug worked itself out and it was otherwise stable. Problem is the 9000 really doesn't have enough memory (for me) to support 5.0 and the later versions use the dreaded mute button to unlock the keyboard. I'm a bit discouraged. Still the M1 tank of phones though. I'm going to get the 9700 if 6.0 on the 9780 is a goat ****. I really can't find fault with the smaller form factor and really miss being able to eat cheesy poofs and surf the net.
    09-19-10 10:28 PM
    So after running 822 for a while I installed 681 and it seems to be a lot smoother and I gained 10 MB of memory back. Will keep posted on results. My vote is for the Vodafone UK .681 that Ahmed G posted earlier.
    09-20-10 03:45 AM
    I reupgraded to 822 this weekend..

All seems good
    09-20-10 06:39 AM
    My vote is for .771 - It is a solid build.

I am using a 822 hybrid at the moment and it doesn't feel as good as the 771 build. I am jst waiting for some down time so I can re-install 771.

But, as stated many times your milage may vary.

Try the 822(Rodgers I think is the best build) and if you don't like it try the 771 from telstra and then all esle fail try the 681 from voda.
    09-20-10 08:08 AM
    Installed the 822 Rogers build last week, upgrading from 681. Wow, what a difference! On 681 I was always hovering around 10-15mb of app memory, now I have 35mb. My battery lasts forever now too. And WiFi is very stable ... WiFi has always been a problem for me until now.

My 681 problems may have been related to my theme; there was definitely a power-hogging memory leak happening somewhere. So now I'm just using the out of the box theme (Precision Zen) ... I didn't really need a Today theme anyway since the fonts are too small.

I'm a very happy camper on 822. Highly recommended! But YMMV.
    09-20-10 11:38 AM
    my ringtones are all silent with 822 even with a battery pull. I downgraded to 771 and the ringtones are all working fine now...let's see how it goes the next few days
    09-20-10 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD