Hey there, does anybody know if Tether app will work on Linux? I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks in advance...
    09-18-10 07:28 AM
    Anyone?
    09-18-10 05:00 PM
    Nope. Even if you were to try it with wine, it still wouldn't work properly. It has to create a network adapter for itself. I've only encountered lots of problems with apps like that. Linux will never be supported for obvious reasons (their target users are mainly going to be winders/mac of course). I wish they would, but you'd have a better chance asking NASA if there are real aliens than tether creating a native linux app
    Last edited by webmastir; 09-18-10 at 09:29 PM.
    09-18-10 09:27 PM
    I'm also running Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 on one machine and openSUSE 11.3 on another machine), but I do not tether.

Perhaps this will help. Make Your BlackBerry Double as a Modem With Barry
    09-18-10 11:48 PM
    interesting. thanks for the heads up lak...will check that out too
    09-19-10 11:34 AM
    http://www.berry4all.com

Had this working on Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 on my 9700. My carrier is Rogers Canada. Had to comment out the line novj in ~/bbtether/conf/rogers to get it working, but I think it's at 2G speeds.
    Last edited by Arsic; 11-03-10 at 11:51 AM.
    11-03-10 11:48 AM
    Anything better on linux support using as a modem?
    01-02-11 06:24 PM
    Nope. Even if you were to try it with wine, it still wouldn't work properly. It has to create a network adapter for itself. I've only encountered lots of problems with apps like that. Linux will never be supported for obvious reasons (their target users are mainly going to be winders/mac of course). I wish they would, but you'd have a better chance asking NASA if there are real aliens than tether creating a native linux app
    Actually I've been using Berry4All for almost a year, first with Ubuntu 10.04 and more recently with 10.10. It's not an official RIM app, but it's a native Linux app and it works extremely well. It's got built-in config files for pretty much every North American cell carrier that offers Blackberries, and they've recently added a bunch of European and Asian carriers as well. Very occasionally you might have to edit a carrier config file, but the Berry4All website does a good job of telling you how to set everything up and tweak the files I'd necessary. Granted, it's not quite as streamlined as just loading up DM and clicking "connect", but it's almost as easy.

I started off using it with a Pearl Flip and I'm now using it with a Curve 3G. Always used it with T-Mobile, so YMMV on a different carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 05:06 AM
    I should also add the since I got my Curve 3G, I most definitely have been getting 3G speeds when tethering with Berry4All!

01-03-11 05:08 AM
    I'm using Barry on a netbook with Ubuntu 9.04 and a Virgin Mobile USA Blackberry. I have tethering figured out for the most part, but I'm thinking my peer and chatscript files are wrong. Tried using Sprint's and it didn't work. Anybody know where I can get the files I need?

01-31-11 08:40 PM
    Could anyone please comment if you need to be paying your carrier FO tethering feature or if berry4all and the like will work without a specific tethering plan? (similar to PDAnet)

Thx

01-01-12 11:51 PM
    I'm also running Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 on one machine and openSUSE 11.3 on another machine), but I do not tether.

Perhaps this will help. Make Your BlackBerry Double as a Modem With Barry
    Cool, it is available in the package manager!
    02-14-13 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD