Long story short, my girlfriend recently had her Verizon Tour 9630 replaced by Asurion with a Bold 9650.

During the setup process, the VZW rep did not transfer over her BIS email accounts, so I manually resent the service books from the VZW BIS website.

She has two emails setup on the device - one of them being the vzw.blackberry.net email, and the other being her college .edu address.

On the Tour, she was able to receive her .edu email just fine, but for whatever reason I am having trouble validating her .edu email on the Bold 9650.

I don't know if the college she attends has recently changed their webmail service, but they are now using what appears to be Google Accounts as their .edu host. When she logs into webmail on the computer with her login credentials, it is redirected to a Gmail inbox, with her .edu address.

I have tried entering the same credentials both from the device itself, as well as the VZW BIS website, with no luck.

Is there an issue with IMAP and Google Accounts email addresses? I don't have much experience with Google Accounts email hosting...so I don't know if IMAP simply isint compatible with the BB platform, of if this is a server side issue with her school.

Any insight on this would be appreciated...right now I went into her settings, and had her .edu emails forwarded to her vze.blackberry.net email for the time being. Only downside to this, is obviously if she replies from the device, its coming from her BIS email address.

Appreciate any insight.

BTW: I looked thoroughly through the Google support docs online, and was able to find config settings for Google Accounts email addresses over IMAP...mail.google.com did not work, and her .edu IMAP settings did not work either.

VZW tech support was just as stumped as I was. I dont think they even understood that her .edu was managed using Google Accounts...I am hoping the CB community has some insight on this.
    09-17-10 09:17 PM
    I also have my .edu email address set-up on my BIS and my school uses Google Apps for Education. In the Gmail settings, make sure IMAP is enabled. If you set it up manually in BIS, it should say this:

User Information
    Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
    Email Address: Enter your full email address ([email protected]). Google Apps users, enter your address in the format username@your_domain.com

Server Information
    Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.gmail.com
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

Login Information
    User Name: Enter your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
    Password: Enter your Gmail password.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-17-10 at 09:28 PM.
    09-17-10 09:21 PM
    Tried this...still wouldn't validate...im stumped

I also use my .edu on my BB and my school uses Google. Is her IMAP settings imap.google.com?
    09-17-10 09:26 PM
    Tried this...still wouldn't validate...im stumped
    I just edited my post. Try that.
    09-17-10 09:29 PM
    Thanks for the update - tried this as well...see screenshots below. The l/p credentials are correct, as they work fine on the .edu webmail site, which redirects to Google Gmail. IMAP is also enabled in her Gmail account settings...bizarre!

I just edited my post. Try that.
    09-17-10 09:39 PM
    The thing that really stumps me is that this was working just fine back in May with her 9630...very strange.
    09-17-10 09:40 PM
    Is POP enabled in Gmail? Try the POP settings...

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:
    pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL:
    smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
    Port for SSL: 465

Account Name:
    your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)

Email Address: your email address ([email protected] or username@your_domain.com)

Password: your Gmail password
    09-17-10 09:48 PM
    No dice with the POP settings either..

Is POP enabled in Gmail? Try the POP settings...

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL:
    pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL:
    smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
    Port for SSL: 465

Account Name:
    your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)

Email Address: your email address ([email protected] or username@your_domain.com)

Password: your Gmail password
    09-17-10 10:18 PM
    Battery pull?
    09-17-10 10:27 PM
    Lol...of course I tried this as a last ditch effort. The email address won't validate on VZWs BIS site, or the device itself. This college recently switched to Google Accounts...They were using Zimbra or something before. I am assuming they haven't implemented IMAP on their end yet. Doing a quick gogle search for "HVCC gmail IMAP" I found some message board posts with similar questions on other platforms. Ill have to contact the schools IT desk and see if this is the case or not...still, very strange.

Battery pull?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 10:30 PM
    Battery pull. A BlackBerry users solution to every problem.

Shot in the dark but try this on the device: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, menu, register now. And just for kicks another battery pull. Just kidding.
    09-17-10 10:51 PM
    Hahaha...that's very true though! Unfortunately, its not gonna help in this situation...I'm convinced the college is just not setup for IMAP at this time, since they've switched to Google Accounts...can't imagine any other reason this would no longer be working. Ah well, thx for the tips!

Battery pull. A BlackBerry users solution to every problem.

Shot in the dark but try this on the device: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table, menu, register now. And just for kicks another battery pull. Just kidding.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD