I have an unbranded blackberry bold 9700, i have connected to wifi at home, and can browse the internet, but for some reason, i do not have uma. I live in an area with no network connection, and the reason for purchasing the blackberry bold 9700, was to have full network connection, via wifi, to make and recieve phone calls and txts. Is there a way of having UMA on my phone? would i be able to download something to set it up? something from orange?
    09-16-10 08:59 AM
    09-16-10 09:03 AM
    you have a UMA-enabled carrier right?
    09-16-10 06:12 PM
    It's an easy procedure to do but as dlo GSR says you need to be on a carrier/network who supports UMA. That's Orange in the UK or T-Mobile in the USA.

Be aware that the only way to enable UMA on your unbranded phone is to access the engineering screens so TAKE CARE. Just like editing the registry on a Windows PC can disable the pc a wrong change in the Blackberry engineering screens can brick the phone
    09-17-10 08:02 AM
    I have entered the engineering screens, and done everything exactly right, its been almost a week, and still no UMA! do i try again? because im kinda stuck at the moment!
    thanks!
    09-23-10 04:28 PM
    i have enabled the "connection preference", which i didnt have prior to entering the engineering screens. I have set it up, to wi-fi preferred, and still no UMA!
    thanks
    09-23-10 04:30 PM
    I have entered the engineering screens, and done everything exactly right, its been almost a week, and still no UMA! do i try again? because im kinda stuck at the moment!
    thanks!
    Refer to dLo's post. If your carrier does not support UMA, you cannot use it.
    09-23-10 04:31 PM
    Could also be a problem with the router's configuration. Quite a few users have had problems, there are guides around the forum with tips on how you might sort it.

Best thing to do is find some open/public wi-fi networks and see if UMA works, if so then you know what the problem is.
    09-23-10 06:20 PM
    Phoned up Orange UK technical support the other day. I used to have a Pearl 8210 which had UMA with no faffing of the router.

Spoke to a helpful chap who had the same Bold 9700 as me. It turns out that the 'unbranded' Bolds will not connect via UMA. The VenderID on the phone is wrong and so it doesn't load the requred service books.

He sympathised and told me that Orange are working with RIM to get it sorted, but don't hold your breath. Funnily enough, he was running BB6 too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 03:10 PM
    I guess we'll have to wait until the unbranded blackberry's are uncensored from UMA. Waiting it out is all we can do.

12-20-10 04:30 PM
    I do believe if you do a search in the CB forums there was a way and a zip file with TMobile UMA service books. Can't remember the specifics or what the circumstances were, but I'm sure I saw the thread.

12-21-10 03:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD