Hi all, just experienced a weird thing on my bold. I was using bbm and receiving and sending bbm's for the last few hours with no problems and then suddenly my bold just cut out. My battery was on 15% and the little battery indicator turned yellow. I did a battery pull and the red LED turned on but then the phone never booted up. I thought maybe the battery was too low so plugged it in to the charger and after a few minutes the phone started up.
    I'm a bit confused as every single time my battery goes under 10% the LED starts to flash yellow but it did not on this occasion also when the battery is at about 7% the radio normally turns off but this time around I was still sending bbm's until it died! Are there any settings I can check to make sure this doesn't happen again?
    Thanks in advance!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 09:31 AM
    In the first paragraph you said that the battery indicator LED went yellow (at 15%), in the second, you said that the battery indicator LED didn't turn yellow.

Also, if your phone is that low on battery, be prepared for stupid things to happen.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything, but to me you are asking "Why does my phone stop working when the battery is out of juice?" - Which I hope to sweet 5lb 7oz baby jesus nobody ever asks, ever.
    09-15-10 09:46 AM
    Shoulda been clearer, when the battery was on 15% the little battery indicator turned yellow but the LED did not flash yellow...and the question I'm meaning to ask is why did the yellow LED not flash at a battery level of 10% and why did the phone not turn off my radio as it used to with the message 'battery too low for radio use'

09-15-10 10:05 AM
    ...I hope to sweet 5lb 7oz baby jesus nobody ever asks, ever.
    - chrispipe

ROFL. My new (first) CB signature.
    Last edited by CASH; 09-15-10 at 11:29 AM.
    09-15-10 11:18 AM
    - chrispipe

What?
    09-15-10 11:22 AM
    What?
    Wha...t?
    Great! Now I'm confused.

What are you confused about?
    09-15-10 11:31 AM
    Shoulda been clearer, when the battery was on 15% the little battery indicator turned yellow but the LED did not flash yellow...and the question I'm meaning to ask is why did the yellow LED not flash at a battery level of 10% and why did the phone not turn off my radio as it used to with the message 'battery too low for radio use'
    ahh ok, that makes more sense. maybe your battery is failing? i honestly have no idea why it is doing the things it is doing. try a new battery is problems persist!

- chrispipe

haha glad you liked that.
    09-15-10 03:29 PM
    Thing is my battery is new...only about a month old!!

09-15-10 04:28 PM
    Hi all, just experienced a weird thing on my bold. I was using bbm and receiving and sending bbm's for the last few hours with no problems and then suddenly my bold just cut out. My battery was on 15% and the little battery indicator turned yellow. I did a battery pull and the red LED turned on but then the phone never booted up. I thought maybe the battery was too low so plugged it in to the charger and after a few minutes the phone started up.
    I'm a bit confused as every single time my battery goes under 10% the LED starts to flash yellow but it did not on this occasion also when the battery is at about 7% the radio normally turns off but this time around I was still sending bbm's until it died! Are there any settings I can check to make sure this doesn't happen again?
    Thanks in advance!

Actually I had similar experience too. My battery indicator never even went to yellow before the unit suddenly turned off by itself. However, this usually happened only when I was doing something that was very taxing to the bb, such as watching movie, or listening to internet radio. No warning of any kind, the thing just died. Seems to me that the battery indicator in BB 9700 did not update as accurately as it should be, so although your indicator said it was yellow (or one block left), but in reality, your battery was much closer to completely out of juice than your battery indicator showed. So in short, the unit went from one block (or yellow) to completely dead without any warning, red critical, turning off radio, etc.

I don't think it as that big of a deal personally but it does get annoying.
    09-15-10 09:10 PM
    a new battery can be faulty just as easily as an old one can! age isn't everything you crazy kids!

but like i said, i was only hazarding a guess there. worth a shot if nothing else!
    09-15-10 10:11 PM
    My 9700 does the exact same thing--every time. In fact, I've never seen its low battery light flash, or the battery meter go down under one full bar, or the radio turn off. Once it's yellow and down to 1.5 bars, it'll just die. I have to plug in the charger to revive it. And sometimes it'll die even when the battery meter shows two full bars if I'm using Google Maps or the browser. I have it on EDGE mode (it was worse with 3G) and run almost no apps. Oh and I've had the battery replaced.

A friend's does this as well. It must be a defect with either the device or the software.

I've just learned to be really vigilant about charging it when it gets down to two bars (which I hate doing because I'm old-fashioned and paranoid and still believe in memory effect--but if 1.5 bars actually means empty, then I guess it's okay).

Edit: I'm running OS version 5.0.0.405.
    Last edited by portablealpha; 09-25-10 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding something
    09-25-10 03:06 PM
    Mine does the same thing! Always have a spare battery with you.. ALWAYS!

If this becomes a highly-used thread, please, get a mod to sticky it!

09-26-10 01:20 AM
    OK.. so here is the thread about this issue.. well mine has been acting that way (turned off without warnings on 1,5 or 2 bars left) since i got my phone almost a year ago.. never really finds out why but am just assuming the battery is a factory defect. then my battery had gotten a bit swollen overtime, so then i blamed on that. bought a new battery about a month ago.. the problem persist. *sigh

the trick is now to plug it to any charger (wall or car) for a few minutes when the meter is at half or less. then the battery would be back to its normal state which is drains out normally with warnings (battery too low for radio use) before it dies out properly

2 cents..
    09-26-10 02:57 AM
    This happened to my 9700 yesterday. It was a let down when I needed my bb the most.

I had 3 bars battery showing, then I was using Google maps to find nearest taxi and it died out of the blue, while i was on a call. Battery pull later it was saying battery too low for radio use.

Wonder if the battery doesn't charge properly when used with cradle or a software glitch.
    11-25-10 06:33 AM
    I don't know what you all are talking about, my BBaby has never died nor have I seen a yellow or red batt icon. If I'm somewhere without a charger and the battery drops below 40%, I get conservative and reserve the remaining for needed calls and a few text; saved a "taxi" contact, just in case, and much easier than looking for one on Google Maps. I have read many threads about problems after letting the battery drain too low so, I have no plans on testing it.

11-25-10 08:13 AM
    Same thing happens with me. When my battery is around 2 bars, it just turns itself off without any warning. It is very annoying, and my phone does not last me a day. I am assuming that it is a software issue now since I see that many people are having the same issues.
    11-25-10 08:31 AM
    my 9700 no longer gives me the battery too low for radio use message. it DOES die completely though. i've had the battery at 5% and the radio is still on. baffling.
    11-26-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD