As the title describes, I have a 9700 through Rogers on a 1Gb Plan, I want to use my laptop at the cottage for a weekend and occasionally at work.

I hook up the 9700 to my laptop via micro usb, open BB Desktop Manager and setup the 9700 ip info.

Is there an extra fee?
    09-14-10 01:11 PM
    It depends on Rodgers Contract and if they Figure out what you are doing.

I know in everything AT&T puts out there (Contracts/service agreements) it says you are not supposed to tether unless you pay for a tethering plan. And, if you do, you are subject to fines and even account termination.

But, that being said, I know of several people (1st hand) that have been able to tether to their BB using an app like Tether, or PDAnet and, not get fined or busted.
    09-14-10 01:27 PM
    ... and have never had a problem. I don't use it 'that' often (maybe once every couple of months) and make sure I don't surf too much to keep under my limit (which is only 500 MB's). I've even used it through Telus and was okay.

Never tried a tethering program either... just Blackberry Desktop Manager.
    09-14-10 02:56 PM
    So I was digging around in the Rogers site and I found out that it is included with BB and I-phone plans with over 1gb data but I have the "shared" 1gb data with my wife and this shared plan does not include tethering, Wonderful!?

c/p from Rogers tethering FAQ page.

Q: Can I tether with a Family Share Data & Voice Plan?
    A: No. Family Share Data & Voice Plans do not include the tethering feature.
    Last edited by imbrad2003; 09-14-10 at 03:43 PM.
    09-14-10 03:40 PM
    Yep, make sure the plan specifically says it includes tethering. I have the 6gb plan and it does in include tethering. They only have a few that you are allowed on. Best bet is to phone them and double check regardless of what the site says. That way you also have backup if they do charge after they told you.
    09-14-10 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD