Okay before opening this thread i did research (As i always do that) now the problem is my phone takes ages to reboot ! I can actually go out get a subway and eat and still my phone is rebooting (it takes around 12 minutes). I have nothing extra-ordinary installed on my phone. I like to keep it simple / clean and add no garbage whats so ever.

Some info:

Phone Model : 9700
    App installed : Quick Launcher (Never Used it)
    Capture It
    Podcasts
    Viigo
    Poynt
    Google Maps
    Twitter
    Opera (Never used it)
    FlashOn
    Brio Camera Light
    ICC WorldT20 (Cricket Game)
    Windows Live Messenger ( Its never on, i use it whenever i need it. May be once every 2 weeks)
    Memory Info:
    Compression : Disabled
    Mass Storage Support : On
    Application Memory : Free Space 64.6 MB
    Device Memory Limit : 15 MB
    Media Card Memory : 3.3 FREE SPACE.

Network :Telus Mobility
    Unlocked : Yes

p.s please please dont tell me to upgrade o/s i will just wait for telus to release an update officially. But if this is the only solution i will give it a try!
    09-13-10 10:17 AM
    Mine boots within 2:45, 2:36 without the SIM card inside.

I'm on 5.0.0.862.

By the way, if you do decide to upgrade to something newer than 5.0.0.422, starting from 5.0.0.500, etc. The standby (mute) key function only acts like a mute key, as it was originally intended.

The Lock key, however, is now a standby key as well. If you have a password set, it is a lock key. No password, it is a standby key. RIM made those changes. Just providing you a heads-up so you don't think there's something wrong with your blackberry.
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 09-13-10 at 10:22 AM.
    09-13-10 10:19 AM
    Should i try it without the sim card? And the latest OS you have works fine with Telus? No problems whats so ever? And also i tried to use my friends 9700 who is on rogers. That phone took not more than 2 minutes for sure or max 4 !! it was way faster than mine.

I also cleared any events log by pressing ALT LGLG.

any other problem may be with the phone it self? It does not bother me but when i do install any application the wait time is huge ! 10 - 12 minutes
    09-13-10 10:22 AM
    Mine boots within 2:45, 2:36 without the SIM card inside.
    mine boots about the same never did it with sim out though
    09-13-10 10:24 AM
    If you only have 64.6 MB free on a 9700 after a fresh reboot, you have something taking up WAY too much space in your device memory. Are you storing wallpapers, pics, videos, or ringtones in device memory instead of on your media card?

I highly recommend you turn Compression ON. In fact, so does RIM. This will help free up some device memory by compressing data for calendar items, messages, tasks, etc..

Check Options>Security Options>>Advanced Security Options>Memory Cleaning and make sure it is disabled.
    09-13-10 10:31 AM
    I never could understand why it takes so long for some users start up there phones. Honest to God my phone reboots in under 30 seconds and I can upload a video to prove it. I'm using the latest OS from vodafone .862 I believe. I have over a 100 MB free app space so maybe that's why iDK

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 10:37 AM
    I just checked it again and 32 seconds was the boot time. Free space 121mb, 5.0.0.862.

Apps installed are:

Podtrapper
    Crackberry launcher
    BerryBuzz
    BerryWeather
    Docs 2 go
    Mapquest 4 mobile
    Quickpull
    SmartBBerry
    Tether
    Youmail
    XM radio
    Sling Media player (gotta catch my tv shows while at work ;-)
    Facebook
    IM+

So as you can see I'm not slacking in apps so maybe its your phone. O and I'm rockin the 9700 on TMO

09-13-10 10:48 AM
    wow ! looks like its just me with this issue and now its more annoying lol seeing all of yours load time !

and loks like i dont have many applications as well.

Is there a way to see what all is stored in my device memory? i never stores pictures and stuff in my device memory i have got my SD card to take care of that.

and rrebo. I tried to disable it but it does not work it has a lock sign and it will just say on enable
    09-13-10 10:56 AM
    I usually just plug it into my netbook and run it as a mass storage device to see what's on there and remove any unwanted apps that way. If you are on the road the run the "Files" app and remove stuff you don't need

09-13-10 11:14 AM
    Go to Media, hit Menu>Memory Use. To actually browse the device memory, choose Explore instead of Memory Use.

If this is a work-issued BlackBerry, they may have an IT policy that mandates memory cleaning.
    09-13-10 11:19 AM
    There's two things I know that will increase boot times. The first is having memory clean enabled in security. Totally unecessary setting. The second is looking at how many apps start at boot, the more, the longer the time gets. Look in appswitcher after boot, and see how many, and which ones are in there.
    09-13-10 11:33 AM
    Your app memory is way too low. There has to be something that's taking up a ton of space. Do you have a ton of archived SMS/MMS?
    09-13-10 12:28 PM
    Mine takes about a minute to boot.

I don't have very many apps either...i have about 108mb of free space.
    My iPhone 1st gen boots faster than my 9700...
    09-13-10 01:07 PM
    I usually just plug it into my netbook and run it as a mass storage device to see what's on there and remove any unwanted apps that way. If you are on the road the run the "Files" app and remove stuff you don't need

i removed everything i had few voice notes for about 1/2 mb deleted those then i have samples folder with a video and a default audio i cant seem to delete that..

Go to Media, hit Menu>Memory Use. To actually browse the device memory, choose Explore instead of Memory Use.

If this is a work-issued BlackBerry, they may have an IT policy that mandates memory cleaning.
    no its my personal phone. and i did go thru device memory and there is nothing installed no pictures no videos..

There's two things I know that will increase boot times. The first is having memory clean enabled in security. Totally unecessary setting. The second is looking at how many apps start at boot, the more, the longer the time gets. Look in appswitcher after boot, and see how many, and which ones are in there.

zero applications stay @ boot just the regular ones thats about it !.

phone, messages, bbm and browser
    Your app memory is way too low. There has to be something that's taking up a ton of space. Do you have a ton of archived SMS/MMS?
    sms . sms / emails yes.. i actually never cleared it up .. how do u know how much space are they taking?

i have 3 email accounts and then obviously around 2000 texts / month average i did nt know they take device memory:S
    09-13-10 02:27 PM
    and i just noticed i connected my bb with my laptop the application memory is now down to 60 mb:S
    09-13-10 02:31 PM
    more information:

i connected my bb with my computer.

so address book : 500
    Phone call logs : 881
    sms messages : 561 -
    handheld agent : 491 entries
    purged messages : 247
    phone history : 198
    application permissions : 145

deleting these will help?
    09-13-10 02:54 PM
    Best view of your database sizes would be on the phone. Options->Status->menu key->Database Sizes
    09-13-10 03:04 PM
    Holy F&%$! That seems (to me) an inordinately large amount of data retained on your device. E-mail and SMS are transport media, not a storage media. Get some of that stuff off the subway train and into a warehouse!
    09-13-10 03:09 PM
    Home Screen:
    1. press and hold ALT key, then type LGLG (alt+LGLG)
    2. look trough log for W (warning) or E (for error) or bold type record
    3. press enter on row where is type of E(rror) or W(arrning)
    4. look at the app which create this record
    5. try to uninstall that app

then, remove the batt and wait for 5 minutes and try to boot
    Last edited by dkustec; 09-13-10 at 03:15 PM.
    09-13-10 03:11 PM
    database sizes
    messages seems to be a lot 2760/7035

phone call logs 881

total size 16340K

if this helps?

as for W - i have

W system -PMEGraphics paintF0 - failed image 2

there is no E.

and quite a few a.
    09-13-10 03:27 PM
    @j8330, if you are in doubt: in the Log Viewer, pres Menu and then press Clear Log, then press Delete. Try to boot again and search for any W or E again... scroll down, down, to end of log...

If there is no E or lot of W in the log, your prob is about memory...
    Last edited by dkustec; 09-13-10 at 03:40 PM.
    09-13-10 03:32 PM
    there are TONS of w !! i had to press 'space' few million times to get down . but let me reboot and i shall post my results thanks
    09-13-10 03:36 PM
    there are TONS of w !! i had to press 'space' few million times to get down . but let me reboot and i shall post my results thanks
    In the Log Viewer SPACE is not PgDown
    SPACEkey in this case just enable/disable Time Stamp mode (the time of recorded event (row)).
    Keep scrolling with track pad down!
    09-13-10 03:39 PM
    its the PODCAST i get error "E" for podcast i will delete that and see !
    09-13-10 08:12 PM
    and W for themereader - Two themes are stored on my phone but i am using the default version. Should i delete those two themes as well?
    09-13-10 08:13 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD