Hi all,

Is it possible to use BBM over wifi on a plane?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 07:05 AM
    If its a wifi connection, I don't see why not. I'd be curious to try it though. I might next week on my way to Washington.
    09-13-10 07:08 AM
    I used BBM over wifi before and it's just as good. Saves on data if you don't want to have roaming charges.

09-13-10 09:31 AM
    Hi all,

Is it possible to use BBM over wifi on a plane?

Do they have WiFi on commercial flights now?

Being in the RF industry, to my knowledge enabling a transmitter on a flight has always been a big NO-NO.

I have not flown commercial in quite a few years, but my wife does quite often and has never mentioned WiFi. That would surely pass the time much better on a "red eye:.
    09-13-10 10:04 AM
    as far as i know a few airlines are offering it onboard but its not on every flight but i could be wrong
    Airlines Install Wi-Fi on Planes, but Customers Are Reluctant to Sign On - WSJ.com
    09-13-10 10:09 AM
    Do they have WiFi on commercial flights now?

Being in the RF industry, to my knowledge enabling a transmitter on a flight has always been a big NO-NO.

I have not flown commercial in quite a few years, but my wife does quite often and has never mentioned WiFi. That would surely pass the time much better on a "red eye:.
    Yup, they now have WiFi on some commercial airlines. I would like to try and make a call using UMA on a WiFi enabled plane. The thought of everyone screaming "he's going to kill us!" has deterred me though. lol
    09-13-10 10:12 AM
    Heck yea it works. I flew commercial a few months ago, got the wifi offered by the airline for free...browsed web, bbm'd and sent emails from the phone no problem. All on just wifi.
    09-13-10 10:50 AM
    Cool! Thanks for the update!

I will tell the Wife to ask about it the next time she is stuck on a plane for 5 Hours!

Texting and surfing while flying, whats next.......
    09-13-10 11:28 AM
    yea they have it on flights, but on some airlines...like Delta...-.- You have to pay for the service.
    09-13-10 11:55 AM
    Wow this is cool. I never thought BBM can be used over wifi without data plan. All I know you can use BBM when you have data plan.
    09-13-10 11:00 PM
    Wow this is cool. I never thought BBM can be used over wifi without data plan. All I know you can use BBM when you have data plan.
    You still have to have a data plan with your carrier (at least with AT&T) in order to use WiFi.

09-14-10 03:21 AM
    Yeah still need a data plan in any circumstance as far as I'm aware, certainly doesn't work for me without a data plan despite using wifi

09-14-10 07:33 AM
    It had worked for me when the last time I took a trip home. I was able to BBM my bother and tell him that he plane was landing early. But I'm not sure if it was cause of UMA or not.

09-14-10 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD