Hi crackberryers!

I am travelling to Hong Kong next month and I need some help with data usage.

I will be using my unlocked Blackberry with a cheap Pay as you go sim card but I will also be using my own UK '3 Mobile' sim card to check for text messages and make some calls.

Is it possible to set my blackberry 9700 to not use any data usage through 3G and only receive/transmit data through free wifi areas?

Thanks in advance!

OilT
    09-11-10 08:39 PM
    It is. Before you remove the PAYG SIM card, go in to Manage Connections and check both Wireless Options and the Mobile Network Options.

Make sure the Connection preference is "Wi-Fi-Only" and untick the Mobile Network checkbox completely.
    09-11-10 09:20 PM
    Hi crackberryers!

I am travelling to Hong Kong next month and I need some help with data usage.

I will be using my unlocked Blackberry with a cheap Pay as you go sim card but I will also be using my own UK '3 Mobile' sim card to check for text messages and make some calls.

Is it possible to set my blackberry 9700 to not use any data usage through 3G and only receive/transmit data through free wifi areas?

Thanks in advance!

OilT

Hi to add to Mitchsurp advice,

I made the following change to my ?BlackBerry;

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services "ON" and While Roaming "Off".

Turn off GPS aiding:
    Options > Advanced Options > Location Settings > Location Services �OFF" and Location aiding "Disable while Roaming"

Make sure this settings are applied before you leave for you leave for HK.

Now all you need to do to use ?BlackBerry Messenger, email or browse the web using your 3 sim card is to switch on WIFI and connect to the wifi.

I did these exact settings when going out to the US, and I used my ?BlackBerry on wifi for data all for free! No extortionate roaming fees!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 04:49 AM
    Hi to add to Mitchsurp advice,

I made the following change to my ?BlackBerry;

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services "ON" and While Roaming "Off".

Turn off GPS aiding:
    Options > Advanced Options > Location Settings > Location Services �OFF" and Location aiding "Disable while Roaming"

Make sure this settings are applied before you leave for you leave for HK.

Now all you need to do to use ?BlackBerry Messenger, email or browse the web using your 3 sim card is to switch on WIFI and connect to the wifi.

I did these exact settings when going out to the US, and I used my ?BlackBerry on wifi for data all for free! No extortionate roaming fees!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Thank you Mitchsurp and AceCK88. I will do that when I head off to Hong Kong.

Just one thing, I always assumed that getting a GPS signal (coordinates from the satellite) was never part of any data usage, and it was only when a program such as Googlemaps used the coordinates that the phone starts to use data. Anyone else clarify that thanks?
    09-12-10 07:09 AM
    Thank you Mitchsurp and AceCK88. I will do that when I head off to Hong Kong.

Just one thing, I always assumed that getting a GPS signal (coordinates from the satellite) was never part of any data usage, and it was only when a program such as Googlemaps used the coordinates that the phone starts to use data. Anyone else clarify that thanks?
    Pure GPS devices will do this. BlackBerry devices are not pure GPS devices -- they use what's called aGPS, or Assisted Global Positioning System. It uses the local cell towers (data) to give the GPS satellites a little bit of help in finding you.

This article breaks it down very nicely.
    09-13-10 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD